Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Taking away your licence if you dont own a bike law

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Tomcatalex, Jan 11, 2008.

1. What if youve been riding other peoples bikes, or hiring them from time to time. Are they going to take your licence away? because you dont own one, this is a BS scheme

Iwonder if they take away peoples car licences because they dont own a car, eg the wife and kids who drive dads car

No they only pick on bikes
  2. Reference?
  3. yeah shit.
  4. [QLD] New Motorcycle licencing laws effective July 1 2008
  5. I think your deamin' mate.

I saw that the article referred to identifying dormant riders, but the mechanism behind this was not disclosed (or probably even conceived yet).

More than likely they will send out a questionnaire to licence holders more than 10 years old asking them to tick a few boxes.

This is a political response, not an operational one.
  6. Just had a quick look at QT's website and couldn't find any details.

If it's the case, yeah, it's a crock.

I assume (dangerous without more information) that it's been introduced to address the perceived problem of born-agains buying a bike after a long lay off, riding it on their existing and ancient licence and promptly crashing.

I have yet to see conclusive evidence that this is a problem, just speculation based on the rise in the average age of motorcycle crash casualties. However, as a former State legislator, I can assure anyone interested that conclusive evidence and proper research are very low on the priorities list when "safety" related legislation is proposed.

All I can suggest is buying a licensed sh*theap and then keeping it licensed forever (harder/more expensive if you've got annual RW inspections and requires you to store it somewhere).
  7. They could introduce a biennial review (practical).
  8. And some "modern" bikes in the mid 70's - mid 80's were truly scary beasts.
    If you climbed aboard a modern bike today after being off since the 70's you'd be very impressed.
    The accident rise is because there are more bikes on the road not because returning riders have suddenly lost their skills.
    Skill may be rusty but they come back quickly.
  9. Why do they hate us (riders) so much, do we not bleed?
  10. Having reread my post, it may not have come across as I intended it to.

Personally, I'm deeply sceptical of the "born again" theory. It is, however, popular amongst those who would save us from ourselves.

I'd certainly agree that anyone who cut their big bike teeth on wobblemonsters like GPz1100s, Yam Excessive Elelephants and Honda CBX1000s, or wacky strokers like RG or RZ500s is unlikely to have any problem with anything on the market today, extra power notwithstanding.
  11. Time has a funny way of bring all past experience to nought when you swing a leg over after a 20 year absence (the older I get, the better I was!). Besides, most license training has nothing to do with the bike you ride. It is more to do with roadcraft and situational awareness than how to get around a gravel strewn corner on a bike with a hinge in the middle. This is really the stuff that the born agains need to go back and revisit.

On top of that, THE biggest thing that has changed from the era of the GPz's is rubber. You can stop a lot quicker now than you ever could before (esp. in the wet) BUT you have to practice that too. Constant training from riding a bike gives you a way to avoid the freeze reflex when something goes awry. Now how should a chap who bought a bike after many years off be capable of handling ANYTHING on the market today?

I watched my dad go through this a few years ago. I started riding and he decided he wanted back in after 22 years. Sure, he could make it to the end of the block, but his overwhelming comment about doing a stay upright 'refresher for old timers' course was how much better licensing is now than it ever was in the past where the cop gave you a license if you came back from the test without bleeding. The older guys are STILL missing this training, regardless of what they learnt to ride on.
  12. I can't think of any reason why, or hwo, they'd take a licenses off a person who isn't using it. What happens with a tradesman? He has a layoff for a few years, at best he has to do a refresher course on the newer inovations he's not used, and then he's back to work.

Anyway, they'd need some sort of special instrument of law to take my bike license away, as it is part of my overall license. I have a gold car license, with a truck and motorcycle endorsement, and as far as I know, all other states do the same. The reason I was able to ride a 600 after a long sabbatical is that I still held my license.

That said, a 'welcome back' refresher course would be good idea, but unless they plan on taking the licenses off plumbers and sparkies, etc, who goes overseas for work for ten years, I can't see any way they'd be able to do it.
  13. they wouldn't pick up those riding another chap's bike, but you could add things like an extra $1000 on your yearly registration if you haven't completed a refresher course for instance.

More ways to kill a cat than drowning it in rough textured butternut flavoured custard.
  14. Well they will take away your firearms licence if your not an active member of a club and attend regular shoots.

So it is possible that they could apply a similar principal.
  15. Everyone knows someone that had a "sick" RZ250 back in the day and has never ridden a bike since maybe 1990 , they all want R1's now. The percentage of these people who actually do it ? %? Bugger all.

Let em at it.

How good the bikes are isn't the major factor here. A Busa is only as fast as you want it to be.

Go on ya softcock give it some stick :wink:
  16. except that you might prevent a few incidents by encouraging people back into training. There are endless possibilities in how to implement such a system. You might have to do the full license again, you might have it handed back once you've done a refresher course, etc etc

You would also pick up those people who would never think to try and see how hard they can brake if they have to, and would never ever think of using the front because his dad taught him that you can get yourself killed by using that devil instrument!
  17. To be fair, that's because one of the most effective ways of reducing crashes is reducing exposure - people who aren't on the road can't crash. I'm not saying it's a great solution for people who like motorcycling but years of road safety research points to reducing exposure as an effective measure.

Full disclosure - I work in road safety research at QUT (but not at CARRS-Q - I do know a lot of those guys though).