Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD speeding infringement question???

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Doggy, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Hi all, here is a question:

Background...

A Friend was pulled over and booked for 56? I think in a 40 (school zone).
    Friend disputes this as he had just turned a sharp suburban corner (onto the school road) and 56km/h around that corner is not practical. Also the distance reading on the fine puts them about 40m further back than they were. Asked to see the reading on the gun, told no. Asked for the certificate of callibration, was told no see you in court.

Q.1
    Is it possible for them to have got him on the other street prior to turning the corner? From the distance reading this seems plausable (see attached pic).

Q2.
    Does anyone know where it says they must show you the speed recorded? If anywhere?

I'm curious because when I used to do radar duty in the RAAF with the old Falcon 500 radars we had to show the driver the reading and also be able to produce the certificate if required.

He is happy to cop to 56 in a 50 zone but is a bit sus about it being in the 40 zone. I tend to agree that it is a bit sus.

[IMG:798:652:132e3a1853]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/pd1578/Speed.jpg[/img:132e3a1853]

2. the problem from looking at your pic is where the school is... it could be argued that the 40 zone is anywhere near a school that is surrounded by a road ... so that street would actually be 40 as well?

they would be aiming at that corner.. so not much chance of slowing down to 40.. if that corner didnt have a stop sign, or does it merge into the 40km street?

3. OK well in terms of the speed zones for schools

section 3 of "Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995
    Transport Operations (Road
    Use Management—Road
    Rules) Regulation 1999"

Speed limit in a speed limited area
    (1) The speed limit applying to a driver for any length of road in a
    speed limited area is the number of kilometres per hour
    indicated by the number on the area speed limit sign on a road
    into the area, unless another speed limit applies to the driver
    for the length of road under another section of this part.
    Example of another speed limit—
    Although an area speed limit sign on a road into a speed limited area
    may indicate a speed limit of 60km/h, a particular length of road in the
    area may have a school zone sign indicating a 40km/h speed limit for
    that length of road.
    (2) A speed limited area is the network of roads in an area with—
    (a) an area speed limit sign on each road into the area,
    indicating the same number; and
    (b) an end area speed limit sign on each road out of the area.
    23 Speed limit in a school zone
    school zone is the number of kilometres per hour indicated by
    the number on the school zone sign on a road, or the road, into
    the zone.
    (2) A school zone is—
    (a) if there is a school zone sign and an end school zone
    sign, or a speed limit sign with a different number on the
    sign, on a road—that length of road; or
    Examples—
    Area speed limit sign End area speed limit sign
    s 24 24 s 24
    Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road
    Rules) Regulation 1999
    (b) if there is a school zone sign on a road that ends in a
    dead end and there is no sign mentioned in paragraph
    (a), on the length of road beginning at the sign and
    ending at the dead end—that length of road; or
    (c) in any other case—the network of roads in an area
    with—
    (i) a school zone sign on each road into the area,
    indicating the same number; and
    (ii) an end school zone sign, or a speed limit sign
    indicating a different number, on each road out of
    the area.
    24 Speed limit in a shared zone
    shared zone is the number of kilometres per hour indicated by
    the number on the shared zone sign on a road into the zone.
    (2) A shared zone is the network of roads in an area with—
    (a) a shared zone sign on each road into the area, indicating
    the same number; and
    Examples—
    School zone sign End school zone sign

ok not sure on the speedo gun thing, but will see what i can find on the operation off speed detection devices.

From reading above, i understand that there will be a gropup of signs around the perimiter of a school, zone, and the school, zone is any section of road inside that perimeter. Each road going into the zone, will have a school speed sign on it.

4. There are no school zone signs etc on this part of road and it is 50km/h (The road at the top where the green line starts.) It is a "T" intersection and there is no stop/giveway sign.

The distance recorded on the ticket is what puzzles me as well as the officer not showing him the reading. I would have thought that showing someone the reading would be useful in instilling public confidence.

5. I always thought that when requested they show you the gun, with the results on the back, but i could be wrong.

From my understanding, there should be a 40km/hr sign just after the left turn on the road. as long as he was on the far side of the sign, its a 50km/hr zone (unless still in a zone from somewhere else) and therefore only 56 in a 50 zone.

maybe worth going out with a 50m tape measure, and double check all your distances, as estimated from the eye can be way out. Take photo's while your at it.

6. thats pretty weird t intersection yet no giveway or a stop sign.... could get the council for that one... I was coming down this street 60km p plater girl came out of side street and whacked into me... I took photos of the area etc. for proof to insurance... guess what now they have stoplights at that intersection... would have helped if they'd done something before someone got hurt.. rather then when something actually happens..

yeah should be a warning at every street that school zone is ahead.
    get some pics up if you can so can have a squiz what the area looks like.

7. i know of quite a few T-intersections where there are no signs, no STOP or GIVE WAY signs. They are pretty comon, especially in rural towns. As far as i am aware if there's no sign you just assume its a give way situation?

anyway, that doesn't matter re the speeding ticket. def worth checking out the situation, maybe with tape measure and also get some photos to back you up.

8. The tickets not mine, I was more curious about the showing of the speed etc and also the weird distance. Just went back and checked the corner. It's a give way sign but that dosent really mean anything in this situation.

I'll re do the pic for ease of understanding.

Thanks,

9. G'Day,
    Yeah i agree with the previous post , dont trust anything or anyone on this site, or any other for that matter, do ur own research.

If u have access to Standards Australia it will clearly show you the rules on operating a speed measuring device. Bear in mind that qld does not necessarily have to comply with Aust Standards, but it would be a safe assumption.

Also on the ticket, the road that the offence was alleged will be named. In qld they dont produce a certificate but put a code at the bottom of the ticket. What this means i dont know, coz at the mo I'm going thru the same issue myself. I got pinged slowing from 89 in a 90 to 70 was a bit late rolling off, it was my fault but i'll do my best to get out of it.

Take care and let me know how u got on. Remember , paying the ticket is admission of guilt.

10. question for you Doggy

1. was there other cars around?

Speed gun will pick up bigest target in its range.

if there was a car in front or behind him or can prove that the coppers dont know if there was or not, is a way to beat it. if they cant say that there was no other car around then you say there was.(school zone must have been):wink: to get a motorcyclist with a hand held or car mounted radar isnt as easy as they make out. if there is another vehicle in its vacinity the gun will actually pick up there speed being a bigger diamention.

11. To all riders out there carry a digital camera. they are the best tool. if you get done and feel it is wrong then take pics of the area, traffic conditions,where the copper was/is parked. make mental notes or c arry small note book with you and write things down. they cant stop you.

I did this not too long ago with a helmet fine and got off it. could prove his story wrong with photograpic evidence. :wink: