Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Sobering stats out of Qld. July '07

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hornet, Jul 23, 2007.

1. The Queensland Government has launched a Motorcycle Safety Awareness campaign, aimed at cutting down on the frightening statistics of one motorcyclist being killed and 15 being injured each week on Queensland's roads. Of particular interest are two areas; the growth of older riders among the statistics, and the prevalence of speed and rider-fault in accidents.

The Minister for Transport and Main Roads, Mr Paul Lucas, stated, "Between 1992 to 2005 the number of mature motorbike riders aged 40 years or over, killed or hospitalised as a result of road crashes in Queensland, has increased from 74 riders (or 13.4%) during 1992 to 312 riders (or 34.9%) during 2005."

"Many of these returning riders got their licence years before and after doing well financially have splurged on a high-powered road bike they aren't equipped to ride."

I'm dubious about that last statement because in order for an older rider to go out and buy a high-powered bike, he/she would have had to have maintained a motorcycle license from an earlier time, and therefore may well have been intermittently riding as well. Under normal circumstances an older rider, even one coming back to bikes after a mid-life break, would have to go through the Learner/Restricted path. (I didn't myself, but only by good luck of having lived in Canberra when I stopped riding, and the Territory having a multi-discipline license scheme there.)

The second set of stats of interest will draw howls of protest from many, but need to be considered anyway.

Mr Lucas said, "During 2006, police identified that the rider was speeding in 40% of fatal crashes involving motorbike riders.

"And in 81% of the 64 fatal crashes involving motorbikes in 2005, the reporting police officer considered the motorbike rider most at fault," Mr Lucas said.

"It's individual riders who can make the most difference."

We have a well-documented and almost Pavlovian 'victim' mentality when it comes to motorcycle accidents, but we are, in fact, our own worst enemies. Remember, in the context of the real world, he is not talking only about people doing 230kph on the open road and meeting some hazard, but perhaps doing 90 in a 60 zone and meeting some hazard at that speed.
  2. The at fault numbers there are interesting seeing as there was a report out of South Australia last year that said in multi vehicle accidents more often than not it was not the motorcyclist at fault.

So either there definition of fault is different, or there is a definite behavioral difference between SA & QLD
  3. "multi vehicle accidents" != "fatal crashes"

Not always anyway...
  4. How often do riders speed? If bikes are exceeding the speed limit 40% of the time (not an outrageous claim), then you could infer that speed has no effect on your likelihood of crashing. Being so bold as to claim the bikes are speeding more than 40% of the time, one could say that you're less likely to be involved in a fatal crash if you're speeding.

My point? I don't really have one, I'm just always skeptical about stats and how they can be selectively chosen.
  5. I was happy to see the awareness campaign on the tele. I doubt it will make much difference, but at least there is some effort there.

Interesting that ktulu pointed out that the report said 81% of the 64 fatal crashes, were rider at fault. I can believe that to be honest. Not hard to believe that out of the thousands of motorcyclists on QLD roads every day, 50 per year are foolish or inexperienced enough to contribute to getting themselves killed.

On the other hand, I think if they were looking at stats for just any accidents involving a bike and any other vehicle, the percentage would be much, much lower :?
  6. Needless to say, motorcycle riding is a lot more dangerous than driving a car! One would expect to see a sharp increase in rider accidents with the spike in motorcycle sales (up 130% from 2003) and people returning to riding from a long absence.

All in all what the stats don't tell you is out of the number of motorcycle accidents that are the result of the biker. How many people other than the rider were killed / injured.

I bet nearly zero!

Even if riders are willing to take more of a risk, the main danger is to themselves. And rarely would it inflict significant damage to others.

So a sobering thought maybe. But we all choose to ride :!:
    1- It is dangerous :roll:
    2- Accidents are easy due to a rider easily misjudging a manueover
    3- There is not enough of us on the road for drivers of cars to develop, 'active' avoidance skills
    4- Being small and manueverable, means we do sometimes take risks in traffic and in tight situations.
  7. having witnessed the results of the ludicrous Queensland "Qride" system, I can say that a part of the problem is allowing poorly trained, and more to the point poorly PREPARED riders on the road. Worse still, these same riders, if they have a full car license, can get straight onto any bike they like.

Think about it, an ill prepared, inexperienced rider, lacking confidence but feeling the "peer pressure" grabs the latest sports, rossi wannabe, replica bike and heads out into the chaos that is the Brisbane traffic system (sic). Add to that, the large number of numbnuts up here with no thought of self preservation, riding those same bikes in shorts, T-shirt (not even the cougar shirt either, just a plain t-shirt), and track-shoes or thongs. (I don't care about "freedom of choice", no protective gear = greater chance of injury)

They need to get up to standard and introduce LAMs and a tiered training testing (same as the Tas system)

The Gold Coast council is sponsoring a HART course for older riders, bloody good idea.

The adverts I've seen are quite good, not derogatory or condescending, just simply sating we should all look out for each other... well done for that.

8. I wasn't suggesting that the campaign was either good or bad, and I guess like all pollies they'll use it to what end suits them. But the raw figures, uninterpreted, are still interesting.
  9. Neither did I, NSW you get a bike licence it's yours forever

The best thing anyone returning to bikes can do, is a course at HART or its equivalent. None of us were taught how to ride. We answered questions for L's and for our P's rode around the block unaccompanied and did our first and last parallel park.
  10. Paul, the stats have been for a very long time, in all of Australia, that over half the motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents.
    However, no one here will believe it, and use smoke and mirrors to dodge the fact. Maybe it makes them feel uneasy, I don't know......
    I agree entirely though that only we as riders can change it. Yes there will always be the unknown other traffic factor, but I personally believe that can be managed with sensible preemptive riding to reduce the risk to a minimum. You don't have to ride super cautiously to steer clear of danger, you just have to be aware and keep away from the threats.
    I'd like to see referesher training every couple of years for ALL licences, but that's another thread.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. Or under the QRide system, with virtually no riding experience at all, they can go jump on a GSXR1000 or R1 with just a rather expensive training course.
  12. Here's some stats for them

In the last 10 weeks 6 of my friends have crashed.

One was excessive speed
    One was a car not giving way
    One was at a track and they were hit from behind by another rider
    One was gravel on the road
    One was on their way to work and ran wide in a corner in greasy conditions doing 20kmh an hour
    One was riding in the countryside with friends, on an unfamiliar bike.

The worst hurt was the person doing 20kmh, the least hurt the one that was hit by the car.

The guy who hit the gravel was extremely experienced and was on a litre bike
    The guy with excessive speed has been riding many yrs also, he was on a litre bike
    The track rider has about 4 yrs, they have a 600
    The unfamiliar bike person has about 18months (that i know of), they were on a 250
    The 20kmh person had 6 months experience, they were on a 250 as well.
    And the guy that was hit by a car has been riding a long time as well, he was riding a litre bike.

It can happen to anyone at anytime anywhere, statistics don't mean much.
  13. I agree, well said.
  14. Been riding since 1978, and I still have things to learn.

Or am I a slow learner?

You can't teach awarenes in a book, and I would value that as the greatest skill area in traffic.
  15. Why is it I feel inspired to go out and get a set of pom-poms every time you get onto this subject? :grin:
  16. You have to remember that swerving of the road to dodge a head on is a single vehicle accident at least if you are not around to say different and their were no witnesses. I am skeptical about single vehicle accidents where the rider dies and no one was around.

I,m not saying that its most of it. But for sure its some of it.
  17. Did you hear that science? Statistics are meaningless. Pack up the clipboards and labcoats and go home.
  18. And I reckon that's a crock of shit, considering teh massive number of riders who freely admit to having accidents of their own fault.
    It does not take rocket science to join the dots and figure out that the ones that didn't make it were just too hot into a corner which had really bad consequences, especially when pretty much all the single vehicle accidents are on corners...............I forget teh last time I read/heard of someone having a single vehicle motorcycle accident on a STRAIGHT ROAD :roll:

Regards, Andrew.
  19. are you feeling ok?
  20. My point is that statistics do mean something.

You can point to personal experience but that's what is referred to as anecdotal evidence - it can't be taken to mean anything in a larger context.

It's interesting how despite the statistics suggesting otherwise, motorcyclists are convinced that it's all the fault of inattentive car drivers.