Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Roadworthy

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mormegil, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Question about obtaining a roadworthy certificate in QLD.

I took my bike to a place that was convenient (2 minutes down the road) to get the roadworthy done. The bike needs a few things done but overall I was unimpressed with the mechanic. One of the things that came up was that he wanted to check for an oil leak because the engine was dirty. The bike doesn't drip oil and the level is still fine after the last oil change which suggests to me that there is no oil leak and he just wants to go on a fishing expedition for a problem that doesn't exist and charge me for the privilege.

I've since gotten a recommendation for a mechanic who someone I know says is pretty trustworthy.

Can I take the bike to a different mechanic to get the work done and get them to issue a new RWC or do I have to take it back to the first place? Does taking it to a different place raise alarm bells at QLD Transport?
  2. Nope no alarm bells, take it somewhere you are comfortable mate.
  3. Where in Brissy are you.. and you should always make sure your bike is clean btw for these things.
  4. Ashgrove.

And I have now gone over the bike and given it a bit of a scrubdown - I knew that cleanliness was next to godliness, I had no idea that dirtiness was next to unroadworthiness :)
  5. There's a guy named Darcy based at Ennogera, apparently he's a very good bloke
    Bike Performance
    Pickering St., Enogerra
    3355 1089...

Heard lots of good things about him
  6. Thanks - I might give him a go.

7. Does my servicing, excellent bloke and does great work!
  8. Standard procedure.

Dirty bike generally means it hasn't been looked after mechanically. The two go hand in hand.

Give it a hit with degreaser and you'll get through any tech inspection or roadworthy so much easier, AND you'll be able to perform your own maintenance and checks much easier, like checking for oil leaks.