Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Road Toll Update

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by John_M, Nov 5, 2010.

1. To date, Qld's road toll for 2010 is in stark contrast to recent past years and some of the other states. For once Qld is doing its bit on the low side. On 15 October I attended an excellent set of presentations at the Qld Road Safety Awards Community Engagement Workshop. The Acting Police Commissioner, Superintendent Col Campbell delivered some up-to-date and very interesting figures, as follows:

• As at 11th October, the QLD Road Toll was 85 less than the comparative period in 2009, and 72 less than the previous 5 year average.

• The rate of 6.04 fatalities per 100 000 population in 2009-10 was the lowest road fatality rate recorded in Queensland for a financial year since accurate records began in 1952.

National & QLD Comparison

Jurisdictional Road Fatality Trends

• The major characteristics (Sep '09 to Aug '10) of the Qld road toll:
      92.1% Human factors
      11.0% Road factors
      2.8% Vehicle factors
      6.7% Atmospheric/Lighting conditions

• The major human behaviours:
      20.9% Speeding drivers riders
      18.5% Drink driving
      18.5% Illegal manoeuvre
      15.7% Unrestrained occupants
      15.4% Fatigue

• Major characteristics:
      25.6% Young drivers (17-24)
      21.7% senior adult drivers (60+)
      20.1% Heavy freight vehicles
      13.8 Motorbikes.
    One particularly interesting slide put up by the Superintendent (which was good to see):
    "Road Safety is considered a public health issue and therefore part of the public health program."
    Of course currently governments put road safety into the transport, roads and police domains, rather than under health. However the principle has merit, and I understood the point being made was in the context of the need for a significant shift in thinking.
  2. The reduction in road toll must be all those covert speed cameras that anna has bought! :-w
  3. probably just less tourists travelling through qld.
  4. Global warming means Grey Nomads no longer have to travel North of the NSW border during winter? Could be...

I would like to submit my own hypothesis, based on the observation that this massive 30% reduction in fatalities has occured after I moved to QLD at the start of this year.

(Ignore the earlier increase in fatalties, back in 2005, the other time I moved to QLD).
  5. Some interesting statistics there - sadly most are not surprising. I wonder with the sharp decrease in fatalities if there has been a like decrease in accidents, or if we have merely swapped fatalities for serious injury?

Perhaps the most alarming stat there is for unrestrained occupant - 39 deaths where the person wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Without knowing more about those accidents it is impossible to say if it would have saved their life, but it is likely in a number of them.

The number of drunk drivers and illegal manoeuvres is also alarming for us motorcyclists - we are all too vulnerable to drunks who can't control their vehicle and people trying to pull a time-saving manoeuvre (ie. u-turn over the crest of a hill on a busy street).
  6. A 30% decrease is extremely impressive..

Funny how Victoria's fatalities have increased by 6%... Guess fining everyone for going 3kmph just doesn't make the road safe enough. Better drop the leeway to 1! That'd surely do it..
  7. One thing I find slightly disturbing. NSW is having a correspondingly bad year. Do we really think things have got better in QLD and worse in NSW, or do we think this is a statistical blimp that will largely straighten itself out at some point in the future, and that NSW will then justify its tougher stance on road offenders as being the reason it's toll has dropped in 2011, while QLD will be shocked and stunned at the big increase in 2011 and call for tougher measures such used in NSW (Which obviously work, don't they?) to improve the situation? And in all cases, presenting any logical counterpoint will put you on the wrong side of the political fence. A person who points out that a certain number of human beings will die on the roads each year if we only walk on them, and never start an engine, will be pilloried in the same way as a person who points out that many human beings experience sexual arousal and awareness from birth. It's the simple, logical obvious truth - but God help you if you try to use it in an argument.
  8. I have been asked about the context of this comment. I did not scribble any notes when the Superintendent of Police delivered this part of his presentation but believe it was a learning from his scholarship in Europe/UK. The full presentation (and others) can be viewed at: http://www.carrsq.qut.edu.au/qrsa/documents/QRSA3_Col_Campbell.pdf

It begins with with "Do we need new thinking" and the focus was engaging more of Qld in road safety, particularly the community. I do however have some of his other points around the social cost of the road toll:

The BTE (Bureau of Transport Economics) social cost 1996 in 2009 dollar values of the various casualty severities:
    Fatalities: $2,039,840
    Hospitalised: $441,965
    Medical treatment:: $16,139
    Minor injury: $16,139.

The social cost of Road Fatalities in Queensland in 2009 was estimated at $675 million.

With figures like these, it is clear that road safety generally, and road trauma in particular, needs to have a higher priority in terms of both government and community support. Again from the presentation:

Key Principles
    • No-one has the right to take lives in the name of mobility.
    • Information that comes to hand that has the potential to save lives on the road must not be kept confidential and must be shared between companies, immaterial of the competitive relationship that you have with the people sharing the information.
    • Cultural change must start at the top – the management must show leadership and commitment. If they are not committed to the program it will fail and fail quickly.
    Key Learnings
    • Leadership in Road Safety predominantly comes from the private sector
    • Partnerships and networks are critical
    • Need for a Shared Vision
    • Road Safety is a public health issue and therefore part of the public health program.
    These points have merit as a basis for cultural change.