Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[qld] rear reflector

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by geeth, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Just wondering if you have to have a reflector on the back a motorbike.

2. So that would be a yes. Not having one would obviously result in a roadworthy fail and should you be pulled over by a cranky cop they will probably nail you for it.

You can easily find new ones at bicycle shops (that's where I got some last time I lost one off the back of my bike).

3. Thanks for that.

I lost my screw from the chain guard with my rego sticker and holder a couple of weeks ago.
    My replacement screw - random one I found - isn't long enough to go through the holder and the chain guard.
    But I can take the reflector off and screw the holder on there.

EDIT:

After turning the rego holder around, the screw on the back of the reflector is just long enough to go through the holder.

4. So it's not much like cars - the reflectors are included as part of the light assembly, by giving the cover several "reflective" cut sections?

5. Reflectors are another thing the local law enforcement in Brisbane like to harass us over (like rear mud guards not being 45 degrees). A friend of mine changed his "red" reflector to an identical sized one, but "red/white/green" (Italian flag colours) and got booked for it!

6. we had the Vic Roads Hiltler youth squad come through the shop recently as they are doing to all bike shops in Vic.
    1 new bike did not have a reflector on it. when I asked why it was really so important to world peace he stated that if you had stopped or broken down on the side of the road at night then that is what will save you from being hit by another vehicle it is an ADR requirment and if it is registered as it sat we wil get a $14,000 fine.
    When I asked if I could have his number so when a rider gets hit and the defence is "i didn't see him" we can quite happily say but you must of the bike had a 1/2 inch by 1inch reflector on it. He declined and got very pissed off.
    being an ADR issue I would expect this to be the same in QLD.
    you can also go to a saftey supply shop an buy a reflective sticker which is leagle if red and on the back of the bike. did it on my Ninja and asked then ans there.