Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD open license test how to prepare?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by fatjoez, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Hi guys

I can go for open R now

Please tell me how best to prepare

Ive only ridden 250s and know the test is on 900/1000cc

I recall the test content is same just diff bike

Am i better off just booking coaching at the qride on a 900?
  2. When I did my Q-ride for R class it was on a Gladius (650).
    I took the refresher course to re-familiarize myself with clutch control (had only been riding a postie bike). If you're comfortable on a 250 and know what the test involves you should be fine IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah it's the same exam. The bike they gave me was a 600 hornet. Yeah the bike felt a little heavier at stand still but you lose that feeling of weight once you get moving. What 900/1000 bike are you doing the test on? Don't worry the extra power isn't going to sling shot you into the horizon uncontrollably.
  4. Did my R's on a SV650, the only major thing I found was clutch control and shifting down gears (although they neglected to tell me until halfway through that someone had previously snapped off the gear lever and it wasn't repaired properly) I found the slow moving exercises easier on the bigger bike as it kept its balance. Other than that if you've practised the stuff on the smaller bike you should be alright.
  5. i had no idea you could do it on a 650.
    I will call around and ask for a school which offers it.

I thought it was 900+ only because that's what was there for someone else when i did my RE

You think a broken levers bad
    I did my RE on a 1982 Spada with epic rattles
    Simultaneously hilarious and nerve racking

Biggest difficulty i had was doing a tight enough figure 8