Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD]/[NSW] Motorcycle licensing systems

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Nickyb88, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. Hi there,

    Excuse the long post, I've been hunting on the internet for ages and ages trying to find this sort of info, so far most sites/ people haven't been of much help. So stumbling over this place - I thought I would ask you guys!!

    I'm currently living in Auckland, NZ. In December this year I plan to move to Australia for one year, and in this time I want to go from having no motorcycle licence to having my open motorcycle licence. The current plan was to fly into Brisbane, complete my Q-ride course, sit on my P licence (I think that's what you call it, we call it restricted here, at any rate and under 250cc bike) and then before leaving in January 2010 sitting my open licence and hopefully passing!

    Then on the internet I stumbled across this LAMS program. I've found it quite hard to figure out, but will post a seperate topic, or else this thread will get to confusing. So now I'm trying to figure out, if I get my P licence in QLD, can I then shift to NSW and transfer it to a NSW licence so I'm eligible to ride a LAM - approved bike???
    I see that QLD doesn't have the LAM system, however I'd much rather start on something slightly bigger than the 250cc as towards the end of my year in Australia I hope to travel around the country a bit. And can imagine riding long highways on a 250cc isn't going to be very pleasant. Let along trying to get any luggage on it and still comfortable riding.

    Sorry for the long post!!! I really hope that this all makes sense and somebody is able to help me!

    Also if anyone else has an easier suggestion ( or cheaper!) on a way to get my motorcycle licence then feel free to suggest. It's been giving me a bit of a headache!
    Cheers guys
  2. http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Hom.../Getting_a_licence/Motorbike/Learner_licence/


    Going by the date (you turning up in december) you won't make it. However, you can xfer to NSW license from a QLD one. It'll be messy no doubt as you'll only have had your p's for 7 months at best, so you'd still be restricted in NSW I'd say.

    Car license for at least a year (hope you have your NZ car license), then 6 months on the learners (you don't even have to touch a bike). Then do the q-ride course for your Ps, take certificate to transport department. They will upgrade to a P plate.

    Then to get opens it would take another year from when getting the Ps and doing another q-ride course.

    "Getting it as cheap as possible" comments always scare me when it comes to qualified training... my partners uni degree will end up costing 300 grand but she'll actually be quailified (see not dodgey). You really should include proper rider training as q-ride just gives you the real basics. Look for roadcraft courses and other defensive driving courses (hazard perception applies to both cars and bikes, so training in either helps).

    Good luck, but you won't be full opens by Jan 2010 in QLD. Assuming you got your Ls in Dec... + 6 months for Ps then + 12 months for opens = May 2010[/quote]