Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Qld Modification Rules

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by hopeless, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Ok, so I have a plan to modernise myFZX750. Its a grey import and for what its worth I love riding it and the look of it. BUT, I don't like the 16" front and 15" rear tyre choices, its pretty damned limited. So my goal is a pretty standard upgrade for this bike overseas. My plan is to fit a YZF600r ( I have one) front end, wheel and brakes. Its a bolt on fit, same bearings and shaft. I would, however, need to drill and weld the headset to take risers ( not an issue as I'm a fitter and turner by trade).
    I will also be fitting an XJR1300 rear end, this is also a direct bolt on ( with a pre 04 swingarm). (y)

these upgrades will give me 4 pot brakes and stiffen her up somewhat and, most importantly, give me a better range of tyre selection in 17". I know all of these mods work as I have researched, measured and checked a lot over the last 3 months.:wacky:

What I'm a little confused on is whether I need an engineers Certificate to do it. anyone done similar or understand the TMR info better than me? the way I read it I thought that the front should be fine. but Don't want an insurable, unregisterable bike.

2. #2 oldcorollas, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    anything that is not a factory option, or an owner certified modification, needs engineering... technically.

since what you are doing directly affects steering, handling and braking... engineering is probably a must

Light vehicle modifications (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

and uses NCOP now http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle standards and modifications/Vehicle standards/Vehicle standards instructions/9sectionLLmotorbikes1July2014.pdf

I suppose technically it's an ICV, but if you are not majorly changing geometry, then can hopefully sneak under that.

P29 http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/S...COP/11sectionlovehiclestandardscompliance.pdf
    checklist http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/S...difications/NCOP/15sectionlochecklistslo7.pdf
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. start with finding a local "Approved Person" (engineer) and have a chat :) in the end it will be up to them to sign the dotted line anyway :)
  4. Yeah It will be interesting, Might have to go to a chopper builder for some clarification. No changes to geometry I don't think, front forks are 1cm shorter, but I have them shortened through the top yoke anyway. the angle will be unaffected and ground height will be fine too..
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tbh I think many would just wing it.. what's the chance a pink slip guy would pick up the changes on an import anyway?
    but yeah, legal is far better :)

ah, chopper builder would (obviously) have connections for eng and rego :D good thinking!
  6. I did think about winging it coz Its all yamaha stuff and direct bolt on. But if anyone was gunna get caught out it would be me :(
    • Like Like x 1