Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by wodtha, Mar 8, 2009.

1. I've just done Q-Ride yesterday at Proride Honda Rocklea (awesome place, small group, highly recommended - Scott & Trent are champs) and the LAMS topic came up.

Is LAMS coming to QLD? If so, when?

Will people who have already obtained their Provisional RE's be able to ride the 600cc's on the LAMS list?

Or will we be forced to stay on the 250's and fulfil the 12months before doing our R's to go above 250cc?
  2. I just saw another thread, so I can answer one of my own questions.

Apparently LAMS is being introduced to QLD on 1st July 2009, according to another thread: netriderDOTnetDOTau/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60738&highlight=qld+lams . However the release statement link in it is down and I can't find anything about it on the QLD Transport site.

My last 2 questions still stand. Anyone know the details?
  3. No, there's silence on the lams
  4. :LOL:
  5. Barring bad movie references, there isn't much info at all from QLD transport. I think there was a PDF saying 1st of July.

Having said that, I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless there's a particular LAMS bike you want, LAMS doesn't herald a dramatic change for most riders except that you can't ride any interesting 2-strokes.
  6. 250's are not always a bad option. Many stay on them for years :)
  7. hornet said:
    Groan. I've seen people prosecuted for crimes against humanity for inflicting less pain than that. :LOL:
  8. Very strange that the PDF has disappeared. Maybe the announcement was not supposed to have been made and someone at transport jumped the gun?

LAMS is definitely coming to QLD. Anna Bligh was quoted in AMCN a few months ago saying that it will be introduced at some stage over the next 18 months. So if that PDF was accurate it will be this July, if not, then next.

Who knows what they will do with regard to RE class license holders. I imagine they would probably stick with the RE and R type system and introduce LAMS as an RE option, rather than 250cc limit. It seems the most logical and simple, but who knows what you're going to get when it's government making the rules.
  9. You know what, you're right. I just had a look through the LAMS list, there's bugger-all available to you anyway.

So I'll just stick it out with my TTR-250 for a year.
  10. quick grab a 2smoke while u still can :twisted:
  11. There was talk of LAMS coming in July 09, but I guess that will now depend on whether Anna or springdog win next weekend.
  12. a good friend of mine runs the Bundaberg Q-ride training, he has received a stack of paperwork from QLD transport, and the date for LAMS for QLD is 01/07/09. so it appears to be locked in