Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD L plater needing advice on QLD rules

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Synik, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Hi Guys,

    I late Feb I got my L's in NSW and then in March I moved up to QLD.

    I know in NSW I was on my L's for 3 months and then P for another 12 (im 24 years old).

    Anyhow I was wondering what the rules are for a L plater in QLD.

    I cant seem to find anything to helpful on the website, and I am currently working about 10 hours a day 6 days a week all over QLD and NSW (I travel alot) so I havent had a chance to go to the registry and ask them.

    Was wondering if any of the QLD riders here had any advise for me.

    Thanks for your help
  2. Hi Synik,

    I think most people in Qld don't have their Ps for bikes (or, 'Restricted' is what it's called here), so you just go from L to Open. This can be achieved by taking a QRide course which goes for either a day (if you know how to ride already), or two (absolute beginners - which I was when I did it :grin: ).

    Not too sure on how you can transfer the L to its equivalent here, but I'm sure it's easy. To get an R class (motorcycle) L here you just need to go pass a 10 multiple-choice question test. Seriously. So I imagine your L must be transferrable!

    Either way, if I were you, I'd arrange to have the L licence asap, then go spend $200-250 (depending on providers) on a QRide course - or $500 if you're an absolute beginner. 2 days later (max.) you'll be off on your way with an open licence! :grin:

    PS: I think I should also mention that for you to get the open licence straight away you'll have to have an open car licence for 3 years or more. If you don't have that, you'll still get an R licence, but it's Restricted - hence you can't ride anything over 250cc. There's also no LAMS scheme here, so 250cc is the absolute max, can't get away with LAMS >250cc.

  3. thanks for the info.

    Yes ive had my l open licence for more than 3 years so that shouldnt be a problem.

    Are these courses weekend courses or weekday? Hopefully weekend then ill have no problem.

    once again thanks for the info. Cant wait to get off my L's. It seems drives have a need to speed past an L plate rider.