Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Imbil Rally? There's camping!

Discussion in 'QLD' at netrider.net.au started by demuire, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Is anyone from here going to the Imbil Rally? Here is information:

http://www.leisure-riders.com/faqs.htm

When? November 17-18, 2007

Where? Borumba Deer Park, Yabba Creek Road, Imbil. Queensland. Heaps of great camping by the river, plus showers and toilets for those obsessed with hygiene.

Cost? $20 entry fee. Payable at the gate, no pre-paids. Note: Entry fee covers Badge and Camping Fees only.

Food & Drink? The rally is fully catered and we have a licensed bar, all at reasonable prices. If you choose to BYO that's cool too.

What's on? Gymkhana held on Saturday afternoon. DJ providing music from around 7pm till late. Plus all the usual rally activities like sitting around with like minded people drinking and talking shit.

---

I've never been (and I'm still not 100% sure if I can go this year), but I'm told it's HUGE (like, 1000+ bikes), with people coming from as far away as Perth. And yes, there is camping. And AFAIK toilets and showers and stuff.

2. Hopefully, its a great weekend and lots of great bikes to look at.....and its just up the road so its not a big ride :)

3. Kinda interested in this. Will show it to Mrs Tree and get her thoughts.

4. My brother normally goes, has a great time, although last year he dished a girl out of the river at 1am!! Careful if you over-indulge!! Great food at the bowls club on the ride in!

5. Isn't that half the point? :p haha, no, I hardly drink actually. Are you going? I'm still tossing up between this and another ride to Bunya Mountains the weekend before - unfortunately I can only do one...

6. Won't be doing Imbil any year soon!!! I'm Barefoot Bowling at Booval Swifts on Friday night!!

Girl overindulged, fell into the river, face down, brother heard a splash and dished her out, performed CPR. Sunday morning, asked around, no-one knew where she came from...

7. If it's just a massive piss-up, I think we'll give it a miss. I'm happy being around people for a social drink, but getting smashed (and/or watching others do the same) just isn't my scene any more.

8. cookietree: Judging by the photos etc, it looks like they have a lot of activities that don't involve alcohol - gymkhana, some games, competitions, who can throw the tyre the furthest, who can ride the slowest etc. And then I think they play music and stuff too. Also looks like kids also attend, so there must be more to it than just a massive piss-up... I was being silly in that post, sorry to mislead!

I don't really drink either (it's never been my scene actually), so if it was just a massive piss-up I wouldn't wanna go either!

9. No worries, thanks mate.

10. They do things like Keg rolling, reversed racing (last to cross without putting a foot down), always good to watch (I have the videos).

If you don't want to over-indulge you don't have to, some great story telling goes on... maybe I'll get there when the kids are a bit older and I can leave them at home!

11. Thanks Carol.

I remembered, last night, that I'm going to Bundy two weeks before Imbil. It's our annual boys' weekend, watching the boats race on the river. It's called Bundy Thunder.

I don't know that I'll be "available" for Imbil so soon after that. Will talk with Mrs Tree some more. She's not big on camping, but I'm trying to sway her.

12. I'd love to do this, but I have family commitments that weekend.

Ah well, maybe next year :)

13. Just saw this thread...so, is anyone going? I'm getting a bit interested now that I noticed the 'gymkhana' part. I've seen footages of some japanese bike gymkhana tourney at some point, and they looked interesting! I'd love to go and see this, maybe not stay the night or even day but just dropping by. If anyone's going let me know so I can say hi!

-G-

14. I'm going and got a tent after some thirty years of bike stuff i can stand up in, so no more doing everthing lying down, but then again ????????? [​IMG]

15. I'd consider heading along.. I havent done a rally in years so would be keen to give it a go.

Anyone else like the idea, meet up in brissy somewhere (my place is fine) and then head off for a weekend of fun.

Drinking at a rally is purely optional, and generally you'd want to keep reasonably sane.... at least until late enough to sleep, then hit it hard :D

16. Well been thinking about heading off lunchtime Friday, but then again real early Saturday. That big Servo North of Brisvegas seems to be a great place to meet up :cool:

17. I'm planning to go, probably aim to be there Saturday just before lunch perhaps. I'd like to get there for Friday night but with work etc I don't think that's going to happen...

I live in Ipswich, so will probably do a route something along the lines of Ipswich - Somerset Dam - Kilcoy - Peachester - Maleny - Imbil.

And then home along roughly the same route, but going through Obi Obi Road. Might also have to add in Campbells Pocket Road in there, did that piece of road as part of the Suncoast Classic Rally this year and it was spectacular :) And maybe Mt Mellum... So many good roads up there :)

18. Still in the back of my mind, but I don't know if it'll happen for me. Mrs Tree's not keen, but that wouldn't stop me from going on my own. What would stop me is the fact that I'm gong on a boy's weekend to Bundaberg this coming weekend. Dunno if I'll be allowed out again on my own so soon after that.

We'll see what happens.

19. The route I'm thinking of riding up:
    http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/7852

Increasingly tempted to take Friday off work and go up on Friday instead, but somehow I doubt the "at-home-boss" would appreciate it too much. Oh well, see what happens.

Cookee: Hopefully you can make it. More is merrier :)

20. Heap of us from the Coffee Club going some of us will be there Thursday With luck and some Friday... The layout of this venue can make it so you can still have a quiet little camp spot and away from the crowds.. Best rally of the year IMO :grin: Friday nights go off. WOO HOO not long now