Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Graduated licence system explained?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Nickyb88, Jan 2, 2009.

1. I'm (blonde) confused about the Motorbike licence system in QLD.
    So far I've got my L's, I want to do Q-ride in Jan sometime, which I'm guessing will bring me up to my class R licence?

Then where does the class RE and open licence come in? Or are they just the same thing.
    RTA website doesn't make it that clear.

Anyway if someone can explain that would be wicked!

2. Hi Nicky,

Your Learner license is probably an RE Learners. Check your license, it should say. The way it generally goes is:

- Get RE Learners (multi choice test)
    - Do Q-Ride or test for RE license
    - Wait at least one year
    - Do Q-Ride or test for R license

Hope that helps.
  3. Is R licence the same thing as an open licence in NSW?
    Or do you have to sit on a RE licence for however long aswell before you can upgrade?
  4. RE = 250cc and under
    R = any capacity bike

You don't have to display any plates and can hold either of them for as long as you want. They're both kind of "open", just restricted based on capacity. This is as long as you're over a certain age (21 I think) and have had your car license for a few years.

If you move from NSW to QLD you can probably go straight to an R license. One of my mates that moved over from NZ went straight to an R from his NZ Full motorbike license.
  5. Yeah that one year wait (until you can upgrade to class R) is annoying. I'm halfway through it and already i'm dreaming of litrebikes etc.

On the plus side though, queensland is introducing LAMS on July 1st 2009. Probably doesn't let you ride any faster bikes though. Just bigger ones.
  6. Is it definite that QLD is going to introduce LAMS?

Or still just a rumour?