Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Going between cars at traffic lights?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ice_Prophecy, May 22, 2007.

1. Hi everyone ^^
    Ijust completed a QRIDE course and I asked my instructor about this issue. He said that there were no laws against it or for it, but cautioned me that the police can still book you for reckless driving for doing that.

I guess my question is, Can I do this? and if so, is there a law supporting me?

I've seen many riders do it, but i haven't been able to bring myself to moving between cars at traffic lights (in fear of tripping over onto a car, or getting my toes crushed when the lights go green unexpectedly)

ps: I'm sorry i've made this topic. Quite frankly I have no idea what this is even called, so i didn't know what to search for
  2. I think its called 'lane splitting' , not legal in vic i believe, not sure in qld though
  3. Lane spliting.
    some times you get booked, some times you dont, depends on if the cop has the rags on or not.
  4. Hi,

Yes it is called 'lane splitting' generally.

For the picky it is 'filtering' if the vehicles are stationary (eg at stop lights) and 'lane spliting' if they are moving.

There are many threads on the subject. See the 4th sticky topic at the top of this forum.

5. That link isn't relevant, the OP is asking about QLD, that thread is specific in stating NSW only

If a cop needs to get his "performance indicator" (aka quota) up to speed, he/she will book you for anything they can.

Having said that, I and the friends who ride to work daily always "filter" to the front at the lights, gridlocks etc, often pass cop cars doing it, and have never had an issue.

We do it slowly and carefully, respecting other peoples property, it's actually helping to alleviate the traffic congestion, so no-one seems to bothered.

6. When splitting there are some things to remember:-
    1. Do not use the shoulder of the road. It was only last week when on the Western Motorway (just before the end) I saw 4 guys on bikes "Queueing up" to be booked because I motorcycle cop had pulled up one bike, and the rest just kept on trickling in.
    2. It is stated as being illegal (damn it.. can't find the link, but I have seen it) for any vehicle to overtake another to the left... so if you can, try to remain left of the line which is in between the two rows of traffic
    3. When you have split all the way to the front of the grid, EXPECT/ASSUME that there are other motorcyclists behind you, so pull out left/right to make room for them; it's not nice (understatement of the century) to be directly in between 2 cars and behind 1 bike, especially in peak hour traffic. Also on that same topic, if you are sitting in front of both cars but on the line, neither will think that you are in their lane and I've been in situations where both cars have really let her rip (and you have nowhere to go). If you are assertive and split, then pull in front of one car in one lane they'll know it, you'll know it, and the motorcyclist behind you will breath a sigh of relief.

I know it sounds complex and might be a bit scary at first, but it won't be long before you're splitting like it was second nature.

and +1 to Iffracem's last sentence
    4. Be aware of people spitting, ashing or throwing away their cigarette... One of my friends almost got into a brawl when his mirror smacked a motorists hand while he was ashing his cig.
    5. if there are parked cars in the left most lane and a single line of traffic moving in the right hand lane (suburban street style) then make sure that nobody is getting in or out of the parked cars. One of my friends wrote off his Z750 doing that (rammed into a courier's van - driver's side door).
  7. It is legal to pass a stationary line of traffic on the left in Queensland.
    Check out your road rules site...I'm to lazy to do it, again, for you as well.
  8. Considering both Queensland & NSW road rules are based on the Australian Road Rules with just minor changes I'd say much of the discussion will be relevant....but, I guess Ice_Prophecy will be the best judge of that.

The only difference as far as Queensland is concerned when it comes to lane splitting is, as Grey Gentry pointed out, it is legal to pass to the left of a stationary vehicle.

See relevant rule below:

141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless—
    (a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
    (b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U–turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
    (c) the vehicle is stationary and can be safely overtaken to the left of the vehicle.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
  9. Well thankyou all for all your responses!

I've actually come to a decision, Regardless of legality - At the end of the day, there will never be a moment that I will need the time gained by filtering through traffic.

So, I've decided to not do it, and just stay in the lane until I am a more competent rider.

I hope this decision is a good one.