Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Failed to stop at the stop sign

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by stepandy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Hi there,
    i have been issued with an infringement notice for failing to stop at the stop sign at intersection.
    3 demerit points and $300 fine.
    ouch!

Any how...

I had a looka t QLD transport website about the infringements and they make reference to:
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/res...demerit_points_schedule_v_27a_1_July_2009.pdf

I am just wondering, what is the difference between failing to stop at intersection compared to other than at intersection?
    Thanks
    Andy

2. [QLD] Failed to stop at the stop sing

hmm, im thinking it may be a judgement on your tone, can you hit the high notes?
    Or you were fined for stopping your singing as you are so good?
    :p

haha sorry someone had to do it..

3. One has a Stop Sign at an intersection and one has a Stop Sign that isn't at an intersection. Pretty staight forward.

4. Apart from being the most ignored road sign out there, STOP means just that. You bring your vehicle to a full stop. Then you check to see if the way is clear (the sign is put there because of reduced visibility) and you proceed. I can's see what the complication is here..... (unless you were singing at the time...)

5. This the thing ... the document in question spells out infringements and the corresponding demerit points and fines.
    Why would they specifically refer to a infringements that is "other than at intersection" and not referring to an offense at intersection.

When it comes to law, there is a reason it is written that way.

6. The complication is probably that most people (here at least) don't actually 'stop' at stop signs. Instead they coast through at 5km/h with their foot on the brake.

Which is fine, except you can be booked.

7. Yep, and you are referring to a guide. Not the Road rules. You need to refer to Road Rule 67. Here is the link to the rules: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR99.pdf

The offence is contained in 67(2) or if failing to give way as well 67(3).

8. I understand the rules, don't get me wrong. What I am trying to dechip is the guide to the fines. The guide list specific offenses with applicable fines. I can't find the fine applicable to not stopping at the sign at the intersection.

Section 68.2 spells out fine for not stopping at the sign (not at intersection, etc).

I am slightly confused why they did use the distinction.

9. I have had a look at the rules again and it may be down to the subtle wording differences:

67(2) The driver must stop at the stop line or, if there is no stop line,
    the driver must stop as near as practicable to, but before
    entering, the intersection.

and

68(2) The driver must stop at the stop line or, if there is no stop line,
    the driver must stop as near as practicable to, but before, the
    stop sign.

Where there is no intersection then the line or the sign is the last thing that can be used to stop. But where there is an intersection then if the line is not there the intersection itself is the line.

Of course it may be as simple as it just being forgotten. The guide is not a legislative document where as the Road Rules carry the weight and are the documents we have to worry about.

I see your point though. You've got me wondering that now too. The differences are subtle .