Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] Captain Cook Hwy

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by dan, Oct 8, 2005.

1. This is an absolute gem of a road. North of Cairns, the section between Palm Cove and Port Douglas (?) is spectacular and loads of fun. This is one road I'm keen to do on a bike, not a 4WD!

Here are a few photos from a passenger's point of view:

Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4
    Photo 5
    Photo 6
    Photo 7
  2. 'Holiday snaps, know wot I mean, nudge, nudge!'
    Problem with the links, though, mate!
  3. Thats an ace looking bit of road you've travelled there dan. North of Cairns you say. Hmmm. So how many kms are like that?
  4. I've been to cairns twice, but not on a bike. There are some awesome roads up there
  5. watch out for Macquarrie Pass.

If you are riding up or down Macq Pass, thats the road from the Princess Highway in Albion Park (near W'gong) up to Robertson and the Southern Highlands via the Illawarra Highway, watch out because the pass does not have double solid lines so the semi trucks can traverse it can leave you hunting for road on those tight corners if you come across one of them on the pass. The word is that the road is unsafe but the NSW gov will not put the lines in which would then exclude semi trucks and make it safer becasue if they do they lose fed funding. They only get fed funding if it is a national road usable for interstate commerce trucks.

There have been a number of motobike fatalities here over the years becasue of this.

One of the best motorbike roads in Australia but becasue of the Fed economics it is dangerous to us. Watch out!
  6. The Captain Cook Highway is fantastic, a must do ride, (like the Great Ocean Road.)
    Traffic and trucks are a bugger, but play the traffic and the overtaking lanes and it's a lot of fun.
    Then go back to Gordonvale and up the Gillies, to the tablelands, down the Kuranda and back to Cairns. Or down the Palmerston to Innisfail. A beaut trip worth the long ride to escape a southern winter and dry season!
  7. I actually grew up on the Atherton Tablelands (1.5 hours inland from Cairns) and there are some great roads up around my home area, as long as you don't mind sharing them with sugarcane trucks!

I unfortunately haven’t ridden on any of them and I think it will be a long time before I do. I'm based in Brisbane for uni and because I only have a 4 pot 250 screamer, the 28 hour trip north is never gonna happen.

Word of warning though, the Gillies is a horror of a road. It is perilous even in a car due to the large amounts of oil that the trucks deposit on most of the corner because of the heavy engine braking. I have lost many friends to car and motorbike accidents on that road over the years. If you do choose to ride it, take it slow!
  8. I came down that road yesterday - sweeeeeeet! :D

BUT, yep, heaps of traffic, and not all that many places to pass if the idiots in front don't use the slow vehicle turnout lanes :evil:

The actual fun section is from Buchan Point to Pebbly Beach - about 30km.
  9. Catain Cook is great, but at least half the pleasure is the beautiful sea views. I rented a Monster S4 up there a couple of months ago.The crawling tourist traffic can be a real bugger, but you feel like you can reach out and touch the Coral Sea as you cruise along.
    The road from Mossman to Mount Molloy was great, too.
    Better by far, though, is the unbelieveable Gillies Highway, south and inland from Cairns. Not quite as long as Reefton, but just as intense with a much better surface, well cambered and wider road. I rode it three times that week and never saw any oil, gravel or other dangers. The best twisties I've ever done (including Tassie and New Zealand). This is sports riding heaven :D
    Muppet, sorry to hear about your friends, but I'll bet if you went back there now (on a bike) you'd realise how great it is. Maybe they've cleaned it up since you were there.
  10. I love the Gillies, but I'd rather go up than down.
    Going up means a nice ride from Gordonvale, and a good feed at the Mountain View Pub.
    Coming down has fried my brakes, and caused amazing arse pucker, which does help suction to the seat. (and too ill to eat!)
    And like all safe riding, ride to the conditions including the tax collectors.

The Palmerston is a good ride down, very fast road with big sweepers, and the other week a tax collector actually waved as I went past over the crest of a hill at $1.40.

Uncredible and inbelievable!