Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Bike mods

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Middle Child, May 18, 2012.

  1. Hi all,

    so I moved up to the Sunny Coast a few months ago and re-registered my bikes as required.

    I am now looking to do some adjustments to the CR250 that would reduce it to one seat. I am not looking for a reduction in registration costs, even though that is a reality.

    The difficulty is understanding the legal requirements. QLD transport says that you have to have a modification certificate before commencing work - I'm not really cutting the frame or changing the rake or anything.

    I spoke to one garage who wouldn't get with 100 yards as it is too costly (approx $1000) and too much paperwork.

    In an off-the-record way, I got the impression that the bigger hassle is if you need to get another safety certificate, if you were asked to do so by police; or if you sold the bike

    Anyone care to share so experience or knowledge in this area?
  2. No experience on this one, sorry.

    You have a CR250 that's registered? Good work!
  3. CR250X is ADR, the old school dinosaurs from childhood aren't

    OP i personally know a few people who've used motorcycleroadworthys (for roadworthys specifically) and they all praise his work.
    but remember, he's based in *i think* kingston, and charges travel time
  4. Most dealerships will have the certification (needed for roadworthy/safety certificates) - it's the workshop cert from the TMR that's necessary afaik. When I was using a new mechanic in Yandina he hadn't got the certification yet but I let him do the work and then took it to a mech in Nambour who certified it.

    I guess some smaller operators wouldn't have bothered because the dealers typically do it and they don't care for road worthies.
  5. If you don't care of the cost then Y bother.
    Am I thinking right, a CR. One long single set anyway ?
    For the 1 up rego you need to remove the rear pegs on a dirt bike and that is it.
    And thank you I will take a $78 inspection fee for that. Not sure if the RTA has a charge when redoing it.
    Unless you keep the bike for a few years it's not worth it. Can work against you at sale time too.
    And welcome to the coast. Gods waiting room :)
  6. Brian Harper is his name. I've used him a few times and he's good. Last time I spoke to him he wasn't travellinng to the Gold Coast anymore, though, so I don't know whether he would go as a far as the sunshine coast.