Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[QLD] 0% BAC for ALL learner and provisional riders from July 1.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TRA, Jun 15, 2010.

1. I just noticed this on the QLD Transport website:

From 1 July 2010, all people aged 25 years and over who hold a learner, provisional or probationary licence must have a zero blood alcohol concentration (BAC) when they are riding (or driving).

Currently, there is a zero BAC (no alcohol) restriction on riders (and drivers) who hold a learner, provisional or probationary licence and are under 25 years of age. However, from 1 July, riders (and drivers) who are 25 years of age or over will also be subjected to the zero BAC restriction.

The new zero BAC restriction will also apply to open vehicle licence holders who choose to obtain their RE licence. So, regardless of the person’s age and the type of licence they hold, in the first year they must have a zero BAC while riding. This also applies to open vehicle licence holders who have held their RE licence less than one year when the new laws come into effect.

2. I'd say it should be .01 to account for cough medication and such, but fundamentally I don't have too much of a problem with this.
  3. From what I understand, it's just being brought into line with the other states, all P platers in Vic already must have zero BAC.
  4. If Lilley comes into this thread his head will explode from seeing me not rage against the government :p
  5. it's not just Liley mate...are you sure you're ok with this grue?...no civil rights being infringed apon or anything?...don't have any problem with with the government making decisions for you here?
    are you feeling ok today?
  6. I really don't a see an issue with this. There are a lot of laws that I find stupid but drink driving ones aren't part of them.

Learning to ride is a sizable task and quite high risk, I do think that this can help. Probably not a huge amount though.
  7. I think it puts QLD into line with some other states, VIC one of them.
    There is a zero level with Ls and first 12 months of motocycle licenses for those with full car license in VIC regardless of your age.
  8. I still have a problem with random breath tests and random license checks, but restrictions on learners are sensible, otherwise why do we have learner/probationary periods? :)
  9. I think the BAC should be .02% for EVERYONE.

Unlike the 'Speed Kills' crap, it can be/has been quite clearly proven that alcohol consumption has a direct and negative effect on a persons ability to control a vehicle.
  10. I don't see this as a bad thing in and of itself. However, I'd be interested to see the information that it's based on. That is, how many learners/probationers over 25 have been involved in fatal or serious accidents with a non-zero BAC that would previously have been legal. Or under 25s, come to that.

Like I said, I have no real problem with BAC restrictions for anyone, but I can't help thinking this might be another case of a new law to chase what is, in reality, statistical noise.
  11. haha. I actually laughed. But no, I don't think you have compromised your view here. A while back you said people should be free to do what they like if it doesn't affect anyone else. I would say a drug induced change in perception is definately one of those things that affects others.
  12. I dont see it as a problem. I refuse to have a single drink at all before I get on the bike. Not giving people the option I think is a good thing.
  13. Good idea, when I drink I don't ride.
  14. In Ukraine and Russia the blood alcohol level of ANY ONE operating any type of vehicle or machinery is ABSOLUTELY ZERO -- and they do not have a tolerance on this law being broken -- the police and courts enforce it religiously
  15. agree with others, i don't see such a issue with 0.00 BAC for new drivers/riders and the .05 for the rest, think it is one of the better laws we currently have
  16. If by not having a tolerance you mean won't let you go without a larger bribe than usual, you'd be right.
  17. this. most offences wont even make it onto the little piece of paper the nice gentleman normally gives you
  18. I'll take corrupt cops over a corrupt legislature.
  19. I agree with you grue although on Russia's account it's pretty farked from both angles (;.

By the way, in Moscow at least the cops only have to smell alcohol on your breath to book you. You'd better hope to hell you've got the rubles to settle the manner "in the human style" if a pig gets a whiff of your morning Listerine.

Enough of my Russki hatin' ways though, I actually think it is an amazing place + things are improving over there, albeit slowly.

As for what's happening in Queensland, seems logical enough.
  20. #20 Ljiljan, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    [URL="]I want someone like Putin[/URL]