Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW QBE insurance woes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by basejumper, Oct 10, 2014.

1. So it's been nearly 7 weeks since I binned my night rod. Qbe are yet to decide if they are going to write it off or repair it. The frame was scratched and harley can't sell them a new frame as its a private import. They want to re paint the frame but it needs to be dismantled and laser checked to make sure it's not bent. IMHO this is taking way too long. Not impressed at all.

2. One of the perils I guess of a bike not sold locally when new.
    I see no reason HD can't provide a frame, other than they, or more likely the Aus distributor are just refusing to supply the frame because it's these imports that are terribly hurting their local sales, and the re-sale of used bikes local buyers have purchased and add to that they are probably hoping it is a total loss and you buy a new one from them.
    Have you made some inquiries yourself with HD USA? I would be applying some pressure on HD directly, because it matters not to them which is the country of origin, they still sold a bike.
    VIN is a universal standard nowdays, and if it has an import plate, that should be as a simple as paperwork and an inspection to put it on a new frame, although if it's a local frame (replacement) there is no need to.
  3. It sounds to me like QBE's assessors are waiting for a report from the repairer so it's them that need a hurry on not QBE. Maybe look into Tweet's suggestion.
  4. My experience with QBE was that they used any excuse to delay, delay and delay.
    It took about 4 months in my case (and that was a simple theft).

Maybe the sticking point is that the repairer cannot accurately quote the cost of repair without actually disassembling, and spending money testing.
    What you really want is a repairer willing to commit to a whopping quote that makes it an easy decision for QBE.
  5. Odd. I've had a couple of substantial bike and car claims with QBE and they've been excellent, very quick and queried nothing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Myself also.
    Seriously, it's a grey import. Did you declare this to QBE when you took out your policy? You can hardly blame Harley Australia for not wanting to help when you bypassed their systems and their protections and bought a bike direct from the States.......
  7. I actually didnt buy it from the states but privately. It was news to me that it was a "private" import. I didnt know until they told me.
  8. That is really bad news...
  9. It should have a secondcompliance plate if it's a grey
  10. A specific personal import plate...green from memory
  11. I don't see the issue with it being a grey import as Peter Stevens do import some motorcycles and re-sell them.

Waiting weeks for a resolution is madness. Escalate the issue to their Internal Dispute Resolution department, make mention that you will take the issue to the Ombudsman. It'll more than likely get them to pull finger.

You can also, move the bike to another repairer, I'm pretty certain that QBE offer choice of repairer but you'd want to check your PDS first.
  12. This ^.
  13. #13 Vertical C, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    The ombudsman wont do anything. The insurer is happy to repair it, the op doesnt like the timeframes. cazzo speaking out his ass as per usual, you cant decide on the method of reepair and the ombudsman wont help you try.

They will only decide on matters of yes and no not how long. They will say that the insured should have picked up hire vehicle insurance.

You should agree to the dismantling and get it over and done with and the bike back asap or find the frame bent and get a payout for a new bike. Frankly tell them to pull the bike apart as you need to do that even if you source a frame, so you might as well have that done in meantime.
  14. I wonder if the insurer always wanted just to paint it. Replacing is going to cost the same labour, but painting is probably cheaper than a new frame.

Maybe peter stevens told him that so he would tell everyone how bad it is to own a private import......Dons tin foil hat
  15. Vertical don't mislead the OP.

What ever you do, DO NOT authorised for the bike to be dismantled, if you do in fact authorise it to happen, you automatically become responsible for any costs incurred and the claim may be rejected. And the fact, if you do authorise dismantling, are asked to paid for it, the shop it's at can place a 'repairers lien' on your bike until such time you pay up.

As I said, unlike what was taken out of context from some moron. Follow due process, IDR first which will have a time line as QBE are signatories of The Repairers Code of Conduct, failing that, Ombudsman.
  16. #16 Vertical C, Oct 11, 2014
    Either repairing or replacing the frame or even just checking if straight the insurer has to perform and pay for the dismantling. Cazzo is just wasting your time.

Its simple op, go find the clause in pds that says that they cant choose to repair the frame. That will show that cazzo is misleading you just like he has so many other people.

Decide for yourself

Edit. If i am wrong $10 donation to netrider cazzo, will you take the wager? Or do you want to retract your statement
  17. I will take a $10 wager that there is no clause in the PDS that states the repairer "cannot' repair the frame, and words to the effect - "we will repair or replace at our discretion" are clearly stated instead. In other words, the insurer based upon cost, time to repair, value at salvage etc etc will decide upon whether or not it is a repair or a total loss.

I don't know what you 2 blokes have between you to hate each other, but as the owner of the bike trying to make a claim via the insurer, you have no authority to instruct the repairer to dismantle the bike under the terms of your cover. If you do instruct them to dismantle it, and your insurer decides based upon what evidence of damage to the frame already exists (if any) to just total loss it you will get the bill from the repairer for the labour, and possibly void your right to a claim for any work relating to this incident. Your insurer must give them that instruction.

Insurers often total loss things that require considerable dismantling where they reasonably suspect based upon their experience repairing identical or similar models with similar visible damage in order to avoid paying the labour cost to dismantle, only to find out what they suspected in the first place (which would deem it a total loss) and that means less cost when all is said and done and the wreck is sold at auction.

Unless you want to put yourself at considerable risk, DON NOT INSTRUCT THE REPAIRER TO DISMANTLE TH BIKE!!!

Your insurer has an obligation to resolve the claim in a reasonable time frame, and if they have no reason for the hold up, complain to their internal review people (you can't go to the Financial Ombudsman Service until you do because the FOS will send you straight to them) and failing that, escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. the insurer is probably waiting for the op to agree to the dismantling so they can check if the frame is straight or they can repaint the thing.

What is the ombudmsman going to do. If the frame was already bent the ombudsman wont get them out of that. There is only twothings the insurer needs to do. Oull the bike apart and repair the frame or pull the bike apart and see the frame is bent and payout if not damaged. Whether it was bent before or not the bike still needs to be dismantled

My bet was on whether the op could force the insurer to replace the frame rather than repair it.
  19. The OP will almost certainly not be able to force frame replacement
    The repairer may as I noted, decide to total loos it without dismantling if they are satisfied dismantling will discover unrepairable (by way of damage or uneconomical to repair) frame.
    There is also likely a clause in the PDS that says the insurer may at their option pay you the reasonable cost of the repair, essentially leaving you to decide to pay and fix with their cash or wreck, recoup and re-purchase another.

The Ombudsman can make binding decisions in relation to claims, including where claims are not settled in a timely manner without reasonable excuse.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. #20 Vertical C, Oct 11, 2014
    Wouldnt waiting for the insured to give authority to dismantle be a reasonable excuse for delay?

Edit. If the insured speaks to the insurer and agrees on who pays what, the risk of him copping any costs for the dismantle is low. Take them through the scenario of prior damage to the frame if need be and get agreeement of that situation if necessary. That seems to be the quickest resolution to me