Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Q-Ride - worth doing even if it cant get you your opens ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by i.d.g.a.f, Feb 4, 2006.

1. i was just curious as to whether Q-ride is worth doing as soon as you get your L's, if your not eligible for opens after doing Q-ride (ie getting L's at 16 and 6 months and having to keep L's for 12 months).

does anybody think it helps confidence/knowledge wise ?
  2. My personal experience is that I found Q-ride to be very helpful in improving both my knowledge and confidence. I think doing this kind of course early on is beneficial in that it can prevent acquiring bad riding habits.

Certainly, there is no substitute for experience, however I found Q-ride to be a good starting point and would consider it worthwhile for any new rider.
  3. Yep totally agree with mojoe. The give you a fair bit of theory/knowledge on the first day to prep the mind and so you think twice before acting foolishly on a bike. And introduce you to emergency procedure ie counter steering and emergency braking.
  4. My mother just finished Q-ride 2 weeks ago. She has been RAVING about how thorough it was. Her confidence went through the roof and she keeps saying to me "When are we going for a ride?"!!! (I've been working a lot since she passed so haven't been able to get out with her :oops: ).

By the sounds of it it's well worth doing. Mum reckons its WAAAAAY better than down here (she did her Ls down here).

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  5. I'll add a positive for the q-ride. Generally is good for teaching you the basic riding skills, but what i think is the most important part is the defensive riding skills.

This is especially important, if you aren't elligible to get your opens. If you haven't had much experience driving (a car), most likely your ability to read road and traffic conditions won't be as good.

But, like others have said, it won't make you a perfect rider straight away - you still need to practice and get experience.

So yes, definitely do a q-ride course. I've heard it's easier than just doing a test, anyway - If you do something wrong in q-ride, they keep teaching you till you get it right, whereas the test only allows a certain number of mistakes till you have to start again.