Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Q-Ride - Slammed by the MRAQ

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by tmg, May 13, 2006.

1. I was reading the auto section of the newspaper @ Maccas tonight, and Q-Ride is being looked at by the MRAQ due to the amount of increased motorcycle deaths in QLD. They state that Q-Ride instructors who work @ dealerships are under more pressure when students place a deposit on a new bike, to hand over the licenses.

They are also investigating the option of forcing Q-Ride to comply with international bike laws - which make the newly licensed rider work their way up throught the various sized bikes.

Q-Ride does the opposite, allowing people to get any sized bike they want to when they haven't enough experience and not making them perform a test with the bike before allowing the person to ride off on it. Places like China/Japan, and others, have one test where the buyer trys to pick the bike up from an "on it's side" position, and if they can't pick the bike up, they cannot ride it.

This makes sense and would help curve the injury and death statistics. Better training with both motorbike riders and drivers of cars is also paramount and keeping P platers away from powerful cars and bikes will do wonders as well.
  2. Yeah I reckon Q-Ride's a silly system.

LAMS is the most logical system to me, kills off the shitty 2fiddy market, encourages the learner to buy moderately powerful but rideable bikes to cut their teeth on.
  3. Or maybe rather than having the a company that is not part of the government issue the licences, do as they do in SA. Have a government run and funded (apart from the cost of the course which the rider bares) course in which they are under no pressure to give the licence to the candidate in question.

Why allow non transport companys such as Q ride to issue licences, it should be upto e.g. Vic Roads to be issuing licences, not a company.
  4. so you're saying if they can pick the bike up they have enough experience to ride it?? :roll:

I think you're scaremongering a bit. Not everyone that does q ride and buys a big bike dies, and if you read the stats it's actually older people who are dying and not necessarily fresh out of q ride. I get a lot of people come into work who've had their licence for years and haven't ridden for years but are buying a big bike because they can.

These are the ones who are crashing, blaming q ride is just silly.

Qride is actually done by private companies, not the government, and they have a criteria that people have to prove they are capable of doing before they can get a licence.
  5. I haven't had a bike of my own for nigh on 20 years, but find myself with the funds now to buy just about anything. So what did I buy? A registered Honda CTX200. Very middle age crisis. :biker: Not planning on being one of Tanya's statistics lol.

And, I have heard mostly good things about QRIDE providers and one dodgy story about another. The teller was not all that reliable though, and might have had an axe to grind.
  6. I went through Qride last dec. I liked being able to get on my any size bike after doinga 2 day course (and never have been on a powered bike of any form before). But then again, the instructors made is quiet clear that this was a basic course to get you on teh road, and that it would take 6 months to 1 year be become OK, and 5 years to become a allround ok rider. They said buy a big bike if you want, but make sure you use common sense.

Thats said any system will always allow people to slip through teh cracks, its a matter of how many are accepetable. from my point of view doing qride, then going onto some form of LAMS bike before a final test (liek a driving test) in 1 year time would be the way to go, though the LAMS bike power weight ratio would be nice to allow some of the lower powered ST like sv650's etc.
  7. NSW does the same thing to a degree, BUT you don't only need to have a full car license for 3 years (ok, well 5 years unblemished) - you need to be older than 30. I think there is a big problem in the qld model with letting younger people through without more than a couple of hours of training and then giving them the ticket to a big bike.

Doesn't mean the concept behind the scheme is flawed though.
  8. I'd much rather be riding an recent R1 than some cruddy old 250 cruiser from the early 70's with drum brakes.

I personally think the increase in motorcycle fatalaties up there is due to cultural factors rather than sheer engine size. A lot of it stems from people trying to ride above their limitations, and those of the bike - regardless of it's capacity.

There are also environmental factors such as the fact that they get a lot longer drier warmer periods of weather that is condusive to riding. I reckon post-licensing experience like track days would make people safer, not limiting engine sizes.

It's wrong to assume that increased fatalaties = 21yo's crashing GSXR1000s. Most of the fatalaties I've heard of lately have been highly experienced riders (10+ years experience).

A proper crash study is needed before you can jump to blaming a licensing system.

As for the pick-up = rideable, that's just a crock. If you've already dropped the bastard, don't see how being able to pick it up means you could ride it in the first place.

Ask that leperchaun Dani Pedrosa to pick up a Goldwing, and then tell him he can't ride it if he isn't able too... :roll:
  9. blah... this bring back friday night at hq.... we almost argured this point tilll the sun came up, or we forgot what we were talking about :LOL: then rumbled on about some other crap :wink:

me personally i see no problem with the system, if it was to be replaced i would think the LAM's would be th enext best :p
  10. I read the article and looked at the figures and from a glance it looks like the number of deaths compared to the number of new riders/total riders hasn't really incresed.
  11. Wow lots of different opinions there people and if I pissed anyone off I am sorry. It does come down to common sense and it was only 1 article I read, but so far my lessons have been great and I am under no pressure to try and get my license.

So maybe it is just people that're learning in the big smoke or something. Like I said, I am not too sure about it.

The day I get my license will be a day to cherish with open arms and legs :LOL: