Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Q-ride questions.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by learner_1990, May 20, 2008.

1. hey guys, im new to the bike scene. I will be going for my RE learners in July, and i am pretty confident i will pass.

I will most likely be going to Pro Ride at Rocklea for my Q-ride. I was just wandering, roughly how many sessions will I need, for someone with no bike experience at all? I just want a roughly estimate so i can save up for it.

Another question i have is, i have been reading the Queensland Transport website, and it states that i have to have my RE learners for atleast 6 months before i can get my RE provisional licence. Does that mean i should only do my Q-ride course after 6months of holding my RE learners?

thanks,
    abraham

2. I did QRide at Pro and it was great. I cannot say enough good things about the trainers... awesome.

Have you held an open licence for 3 years? If so the 6 months does not apply and you can get your learners and go straight and do Q ride.

I had no riding experience for 15 years and even back then it was limited to small dirt bikes and clapped out ag bikes so I was in a similar position to yourself.

I booked in for 2 days and rode a 250cc on day one. I felt like a gumby and was out of my league to begin with, later that afternoon did the road ride with the 600cc guys...... awesome. I did day 2 on the 600cc and got my opens.

Patience is the key, listen and learn the trainers will go as slow as they can with you but they have to accomodate all riders of all levels.

It costs $270 per day weekdays and $290 per day weekends.

3. Rules change on July 1 - so if you've got any chance of getting into Q-ride before then jump at it! (I'm going this Sunday)

I've been told various stories about how long I'll require before 'passing', opinions vary widely from 6hrs to 3 whole days... I'll let you know how I get on!

4. the good thing about pro honda at rocklea is that the instructors (wayne and karen) won't pass you on the first day if you are completely new to motorcycling

it should take around 2-3 days to get your license :)
    crazy nate the boy is only 18 .. he' cant jump to opens

but yeah 270 for weekday 290 for weekend :)

5. Well, may as well throw my hat in the ring - just completed my Q-Ride yesterday, hooray for my R licence! :grin:

I thoroughly recommend Team Moto at Springwood - they're a little more expensive ($340 weekend, $310 weekday), BUT they do an unlimited repeat guarantee. If you don't feel confident at the end of the day, you can repeat it, free of charge, as many times as it takes. The instructors don't put any pressure on you to push ahead if you don't feel up to it.

James and Rob were great for me - I did a 3 day course as someone with literally NO experience on real bikes (90cc dirt bikes don't count!) and their training really helped me out. Mind you, the huge amount of reading i did here helped too! :p Now the wait to sell my car seems even worse...i want my bike dammit!!!

6. I did my q-ride RE there as well(im not on my open car for a while yet, due to a suspension lol) I did a one day course on a Saturday using my bike and it costed me approx $280 i think.

Instructors were pretty good. Only thing i can complain about is that when we did the on road exam he was threatening to fail me because of the way i was braking/slowing down. If i see a red light, first thing i do is roll off the throttle, drop a gear or two and slow down, and using a combination of the front/rear brake to then stop.. According to him, i should not be doing this. :roll: Apparently i should he heavy on the front brake(dont touch the rear) and pull in the clutch and mash the gear pedal to 1st when i pull up. Because my method is bad for the engine :roll:

I was like wtf, this guys an idiot. He then said to me i want to see you doing it this way, otherwise you wont pass. So i did as he asked, got my certificate, rode off, got my license, and continued riding how i like. :grin:

7. Hey that happened to me - did the course in Vic and the guy told me the 'proper' way to slow down at traffic lights was to pull the clutch in, come to a complete stop and then change down all the gears into first..."even if you're slowing down from 80?" asked I, respectfully. "Yes, anytime you come to a stop, you slow down with the clutch in" :? ...wtf?!?...and then he said - "Yeah just like you do in a car" :shock:

I said...hmmm that's NOT how I slow down in a car and he told me that in that case I was driving wrongly. I didn't want to make a big thing out of it in front of the group so I said "Okay, cool I'll do it that way" and he said "you still seem like you don't believe me" and I said "we just have different views, that's all - but it's your class and that's the way I'll do it".

Weird. Maybe it's me but for a few reasons I think that's wrong (in case you need to take off, to use the engine as a brake etc etc). Ahh well. Diffrnt strokes I guess.

8. I had the same sort of discussion - not because I disagreed, but I felt the need to understand it. Made sense to me though, but it depends on how you apply the brakes too - if you're slowing down way back from the lights, there's a good chance that someone may not see you because they're looking at the lights, whereas if you're leaving the braking until later, at least that person's probably braking too...get what i mean?

The other upside of doing it that way is that you completely remove the chance of a compression lockup, if you were to accidentally drop it one too many gears for instance. As far as the front brakes only...i'm a little sceptical. But meh.

Hate to point it out - but these guys have a CRAPLOAD of experience, there tends to be a very good reason for telling you to do things a certain way. All about developing good habits, right?

</off topic rambling> :p

9. hmmm i was taught two ways...
    firstly the braking then mash to 1st and the downshift while braking (together.. not downshift then start braking)

the instructors told us that if we felt competent or had enough experience we were "allowed" to use the second method.

i think if you are new, braking and downshifting (at the same time... not in two different intervals) is alot of information to be going through your brain

10. Changing down through the gears when coming to a complete stop [ edit is because Morbo28 wanted to be difficult :) ] is taught by some people (not normally professional driving instructors mind you) because "back in the day" cars had no where near the braking power they have today and needed the extra braking provided by compression.

Now a days, besides the smart option of changing into a lower gear for an extended downhill run, it is of no relevance besides putting extra wear onto your clutch or for ones own "race car" fantasies :)

The reason why people racing in vehicles do it is each gear change they rev-match or similar to prevent any extra braking being applied to the driven wheels throwing the vehicle off balance, this is easier to do one gear at a time but you still see the odd racer doing three at once e.g into a hairpin on a rally.

People in general are fairly stubborn and refuse to see why something that "feels right" is wrong just simply because they have always done it.

11. Put me in that category in relation to this topic then...I wanna know that I am always in the right gear at the right time rather than driving along a road at 80KPH with the engine disengaged and in the wrong gear. That to me is BAD FORM. If what I'm doing's wrong, than baby - I don't wanna be right! :grin:

12. I did QRide at Pro Honda last year - had no bike experience, and I did 2 days to get my RE licence.

Take it easy, listen to the instructors and ask questions if you are not sure. And if you don't understand the first time they explain something, ask again, they won't mind!!

Good Luck!

13. You might be a natural rider and pick it up with in a day!
    but like most said if you're not sure ask and don't rush

Braking... clutch in?
    it's called clutch riding and you will fail if you do it!

Actually most of the time i come to a stop just by using my gears

14. Haha - the scenario I presented was obviously (I thought it was obvious at least) in regards to coming to a complete stop.

15. No that's how I read it, it was clear :) ...so my feelings still apply to that scenario...doing 80ks on the Nepean Hwy, then approaching a red light...wild horses could not get me to come to a stop from 80 to zero with my clutch in that's all. I understand people might disagree, but I'm just happy bein me :music: :)

16. isn't braking + clutch in called coasting?

17. Yeah, and personally, thats how I drive my car when I am not thrashing its guts out.

I shift to neutral and coast to the traffic lights, but I am always ready to switch to a suitable gear if I need too.

If I am absolutely thrashing it and need to stop QUICK, I shift into second and release the clutch to the friction point and apply breaks, I keep slowly releasing the clutch to involve the engine in the breaking process little by little, and it stops you REAL quick.

I know it isnt really good for the engine but then again neither is thrashing it, and it is an old bomb any way. So the sooner it dies the better, cos then I have an excuse to go out and buy myself a tradesmans ute that I can use for work and transporting my bikes

18. I just finished my first day at QRide Teammoto Springwood yesterday and found them quite good. I had little experience, but I learnt a crap load on the first day, and proudly rode back to the dealership that afternoon. The guys there are great, and they have a good sense of humour too, which certainly doesn't hurt.

Their guarantee also is a great idea. At least you know they won't keeping you back to repeat to get more money out of you, cause they don't get anything more!

They also taught me to clutch in and mash down to first. I don't fully understand that. I mean, in my driving test, like i'm sure others as well, I was taught to gear down, and that clutch in and rolling to a stop was cheating! So i don't know why it isn't cheating on a bike!

Besides, gearing down is heaps more fun :) If i wanted to roll down to a stop, i'd buy an automatic (car that is, or a tiptronic bike :p)

19. Who in the hell keeps teaching that to drivers??? I was always taught 'gears for go, brakes for slow' (to put it simply). The reason they teach it that way though is for the event of an emergency stop, moreso than braking modulation i think. The way I figure it, if you have to pull an emergency stop, you don't want to be trying to take off in second or third, it won't get you going quick enough generally.

Incidentally, did you happen to have John instructing today? If so, talk about crossing paths...I was at Team Moto this afternoon buying my first lot of gear. You would have seen me standing at the counter :p got an awesome deal too lol.

20. Hmm.. I think his name was John. But don't hold me to that. He wasn't so bad. Maybe they're just meant to teach things that way, for whatever reason. Dunno.

I got my gear at teammoto too - for jacket, gloves and helmet for around $1000 after some haggling. Got a Shoei XR1000 that's hawt :) So i'm pretty happy. Just gotta get my licence before i can pick up my bike or my gear! SO frustrating.
    I want my bike now now now! :)