Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Q-Ride for full car license holder?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Bravus, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. My wife has held a full car license for yonks, and wants to get a bike license. She has also had her bike Ls (RE?) for a year, but not been riding.

    Doing Q-Ride in this situation *used* to mean you could go straight to an R license, and therefore were not restricted to LAMS bikes. This would be a good situation for her in terms of getting something cheaper that she could still keep for a fair while. Wouldn't be getting her anything ball-tearing as a brand new rider, but some of the non-LAMS 600s or 750s could be appropriate.

    Tried to read the Transport web site but they code it up enough to make it tricky to decipher, and it tends to be written for people getting their first license on the bike.

    So can someone clarify: if she does Q-Ride with a provider, can she move straight to a non-LAMS bike, given she has a full car license and has had for decades?

    Thanks heaps.
  2. She will go on an RE (LAMS bike) and must remain on an RE for at least 12 months.
  3. Psycho is correct. The fact that she has her full car license means that she only has to do the 12 months on RE's (LAMS bike) and does not have to display any "P" tags on her bike.
  4. Ah, OK, thanks. Bugger: LAMS bikes tend to be more expensive. Ah well, that's the way it is.

    Any views on whether the 500 bucks for Q-Ride is worthwhile given this? I guess it would mean she could ride without me having to be with her all the time from the start. But if we could just buy a bike, put her on Ls, have me accompany and teach on my bike and have her pass the test, we could put an extra 500 bucks into the bike...
  5. I think that the initial Qride to obtain your RE's is quite important. It does teach the fundmentals of riding a bike and some skills which you should apply in every day riding. So for the $500, it is training as well as competency based assessment. In my view, a lot less stressful than going to Dept of Transport for a test. And by doing so, if they fail you for some minor technical thing you have to wait 6 weeks then rebook and repay the test. Qride, it's over the 2 or 3 days and they tell what you are doing wrong. In my opinion worth it. Just make sure you go to a decent Qride place.

    Now if you asked me the same question for the R's opens and Qride... totally different answer.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Oh... and Qride is way faster too. A full weekend of training and assessment, then Monday license.
  7. You can pass a Q-Safe practical test on your own bike instead of getting Q-Ride certificate but would need to practice with a licensed rider prior.
    I think the Q-ride course is a good idea since they cover technique and skills that are a good starting point to build on while providing the bike and all equipment.
    Went with Ridesmart recently for my unrestricted license (R) and was very happy with both how the Q-ride assessment and the road ride were carried out.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. For what it's worth, I've been to two Qride providers, with two very different experiences.

    Let me know if you want further details, but this was in Brisbane, not the Gold Coast.
  9. Let's not paint a too rosy picture for if she encounters problems in the early stages there is no refund. If the OP would like to PM myself we could discuss the details of other options.
  10. If she has re already (am I reading it wrong?) then she can do r qride
  11. If she can get some time on the bike with you first, I'm sure that she wouldn't need to do two days of Q-Ride.
    Then it would be less than $500. But it is a good scheme so I'd recommend at least one day rather than totally learning from you.
  12. Learning to ride is a personal thing .. let her decide how much input she feels is necessary. In the long term the dollars are inconsequential compared to the safety of the person. The better providers will not let her through unless she is competent ... that should be your guiding thought .. not the dollars.

    If you study the hourly rates then all the providers actually come out pretty much on par. The choice is then about quality :cool:
  13. Good call, all. We definitely want to do it right in terms of gear, bike and training. Little while away yet - might as well wait for spring now, plus still pulling money together. But yeah, we'll probably get her out and about with me for a bit first, just getting braking and gear-changing sorted and such, but I agree that some professional training is also valuable.
  14. I think if you can get the bike first and then get some hours up before doing write you are better off. Since finding a supervisor won't be all that hard I'd get the Ls, do as much riding as possible and then when confident do the single day rather than the two days. It obviously costs much less that way and I think you are more confident on the road. And when I did it recently to get my R the blokes that passed... Hmmm.
  15. Whatever you choose and remember you can PM me anytime. I can give you a few tips on what you should show her so that when she fronts a provider it won't seem like what you showed her was wrong. Each provider has their own syllabus and the variation is quite remarkable.