Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Q-ride and a decent safe cruiser. (Gold Coast)

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Flying is for planes, Sep 15, 2007.

1. So I can drive a car, ride a bicycle and fly a plane, among other
    things. But I have never owned a motorbike. I mean who wants to live to
    80, master the wheelchair and be full of regrets for the
    things you never did?

I am eligible for Q-ride, so here's my thinking and then a few questions.

I have been around people with bikes including 4 or 5 that have been
    killed riding. The losses were down to plain stupidity, speed and

With 20 years driving I think I have the respect for bike riders and
    have seen enough of the noob headed drivers to realise that riding a
    bike means a 100% defensive attitude.

I am able to afford a new bike once I have my licence and am definitely
    not a sports bike riceburner type of guy. I feel most comfortable on a
    cruiser style, but the 250 cc bikes feel too small and light. My
    research is towards something like a VT750C or VN900 Classic.

I am not going to be a daily have to ride rider, but more a lets go for
    a ride/trip kind of rider

So here's my questions

I live on the Gold Coast. I know there are a couple of Q-ride places in
    Nerang. Does anybody have any thoughts? Morgan and Wacker no longer do
    training at Springwood but ridesmart is only about a 45 minute drive.

I have looked at the power/weight of different cruisers and obviously I
    am not silly enought to go buy a 1600cc bike. But something in the
    600-900 cc range seems to offer a few benefits such as wind stability, fuel injection, way better brakes
    and more low down torque. After training is something like a VN900 safe,
    assuming I know my limitations?

Protection - I know it's not a cruiser style, but I refuse to ride
    unsafe. MY intention is to buy either a full leather 1 piece suit or
    jacket and leather pants I can wear over normal jeans. I dont even feel
    safe with draggin type jeans. I want boots that will help save my ankles
    not help crush them. My assumption is that I need to be prepared to
    slide down the road one day. I also refuse to wear an open helmet.
    What's a good snell approved comfortable helmet?

I gather that $800-$1000 is needed for a good helmet?

What's the best road boots (not racing style)?

Am I going to look like a dork in full leathers on a cruiser (not that I
    care anyway)?

I can buy a VN900 at the moment, 2007 runout, for about $12000 OTR or a
    Honda VT750C for $10000 OTR. My thinking is the VN900 has better brakes
    and is a better bike. What do you think?

Lastly Idea ( and you will all laugh) has anybody ever thought about
    wearing one of those high visibility yellow reflective vests like the
    police wear at night?

Seriously after some of the things I have seen with drivers I might want
    to attach about 6 flasing yellow lights on the front and back :LOL:

Thanks in advance
  2. I agree, try to keep your 2 to 3 sec distance and make sure you can see the drivers face in their mirrors if they are infront of you and you sould be right.

Me I took as many 600 to 1000 cc cruisers for a ride and the 2 I found the most comfortable were the vn 800 (now the 900) and the suzuki 800 (can't remember the moddle) and ended up getting the kwaka.
    Take as many for a test ride and see how you fell and make sure its 1hr plus or you want get a good enought fell.
    Yes considered it, tried it, but it flaps around too much when on the hiway, so don't were it. Just get a jacket with the 3m reflective tape in it.
  3. You don't need a Snell approved helmet AS 1698 is the standard.
  4. Correct me if I am wrong, I just thought that a helmet that complied with the AS 1698 AND snell was a safer option
  5. To be honest I don't know I've looked since and it looks like a lot of the helmets have both. I was going by the UK where its almost impossible for a helmet to pass snell and ECE/BS because of the different requirements of the tests, ie snell helmets have to take a harder hit but ECE/BS need to provide a lower G rating and it almost impossible to absorb that hard a hit... So ignore me I'm wrong.
  6. I bought Falco 'Biker' boots - they're around $165.00. They are full leather in and out, pull on, comfortable to walk in and look fantastic - well I'm a girl, so that's important!!

Check out the website http://www.giannifalco.com/uk/detail_products.php?cod=800&linea=6

They have other cruiser styles available. Good Luck getting your license!
  7. The C50 800cc Boulevard is an awesome bike. I am wrapped with mine and its perfect for when i dont feel like riding the 14. I have an 06 model with plenty of bling and mods (see my garage) which can be purchased from republic cycle in the states. Two up it has plenty of power, and has amazing torque. I think that the honda felt underpowered and i dont like the handle bars / riding position on the kwaka, but when i sat on the Suzuki, it was like it was made for me.
  8. Thats a cool looking cruiser and defintely up on my list. Do you think that is a suitable first bike for somebody sensible and restrained?
  9. Absolutely.. Only thing you would need to get used to is the weight when you have to push it or move it around. Otherwise you wont get yourself in to any trouble with it. I highly recommend them, they are the best value for money cruiser on the market by far..
  10. 100% with what Blue said.

But get the M50 ,the C50 is for the older guys :LOL:
  11. I have to admit they are so damn similar, but I do prefer the chrome on the C50. Nice 39kw output (same as a 883 Harley). Only thing I dislike is the rear drum brakes

12. ATGATT

All The Gear All The Time!.

It is your skin.
    I have an M50, and have been riding for 30 yrs.
    I have had my share of offs, and am missing some bodyparts due to this.
    I would be missing a lot more if I wasn't wearing the right gear.

$1200 will get you a good set of leathers, try a 2 piece that zips together. That way you can mix n match wioth wet weather gear as well.

Now while we are talking, my M50 has about 13000 klms on it, and I want to upgrade to a M109.
    PM me if you want a good s/hand M, some mods done, ie braided lines, TFI, modded exhaust and intake, debadged, Starcom sound system etc.

If I sell that one, I will have to upgrade LOL.
    I also looked at the VN900, but the shaft drive, EFI, Watercooling were what I wanted.
    The fact that the M50 was also a bit less 'Blingy' than the other cruisers helped as well. You can hustle a M really well.
    If you think leathers on a cruiser look silly, think how leathrs on a cruiser, and hanging off round corners looks!

When it comes to gear, wear what you are comfortable with.
    A high vis vest could be really handy in the rain, at night, in traffic.
    Who gives a rats what others think, if it protects you, and you are happy, let em suffer!.
  13. Welcome to the Forum

They're all good bikes, I like belt drive, but you need to feel comfortable on it.

So what are your friends riding? You sound a bit young for a Cruiser that's all :wink:

In regards to gear, again buy what is comfortable and a name brand. They're all pretty good now bought from a reputable shop. Do a deal with the shop where you decide to buy yoru bike from to include a discosunt off gear.

I've ridden with a guy who wears the yellow vest, his choice, but I think riding defensivley in town is the best thing you can do for your safety - there's a term "ride like you're invisible" so the vest would make little difference.

Enjoy shopping, but don't discount other bikes until you at least ride some.

If you'd like a good read, check out this review in regards Snell testing.

14. As a newbie I am not able to PM. Send me an email. I am unsure where you live in relation to the Gold Coast? To be honest most used bikes are wihin a couple of $2000 of new bikes (I am good at hussling discounts off dealers), but certainly happy to consider

Thanks for the welcome.

Friends seem to be riding everything from 250 trail bikes to FatBoys. I riding for me, not them and I am 43!

Great link on snell. I had pains in my head reading about the G forces, lol. But yes very interesting. I think comfort is going to be my #1 consideration
  15. Fair call, just that a cruiser is fairly limited, in that, you can just cruise with some capability to do trips away :cool:

Sports bikes you can take to the track, sports tourers are comfortable for long trips away as well as having good performance and dual sports you can also tackle dirt.
  16. Hey easy on the old bit sleddy.. :LOL:
  17. Hi Flying,
    You are about the same age I was when I ventured into road riding. Had my heart set on cruiser, and bought a Yamaha XVS650 (2nd hand) to give the whole thing a go. Loved it :grin:
    I can tell by the way that you write that you have a sensible head screwed on those shoulders. Defensive riding beats fast sliding any day in my book :)

I am around 95kg and 185cm, so the physical size of the bike was an important consideration for me. The Yammie was a great intro bike, but I always felt a bit cramped. Rode a few cruisers to get the feel (Kwaka 900, Honda 750, Yammie 1600 and 1300) but eventually settled on a Kwaka Vulcan 1600 as the bike that suited me best. My wife loves to pillion, so that was also an important consideration. The advice the others have given re "test rides" is excellent: get a feel for comfort, balance and power and see what turns you on! :LOL:

I have some people think that I have the 1600 just so I can pump the bike along (which it does very well if asked :LOL: ). But my primary consideration was personal comfort and overall "touring" capability.
    The number of CC's is not specifically relevent: the overall power\weight ratio and things like suspension, seating and preferred riding style all come into it. Try before you buy and make sure you are comfortable and the bike has the capability to do what you expect from it.

Beware of leather suits in summer: sure, they are probably the "ants pants" for safety, but practicality also comes into it. If the suit gets so hot you cannot stand to ride in it, then the enjoyment factor goes way down.
    I have Draggin jeans and two jackets: Dririder Nordic 4 for winter and an AGV Sport for summer. Thermals go under the jeans in winter. I have a reflective vest in the saddle bags for inclement weather: on very dull days or wet nights I like to have a bit more colour.

Just got a new Nolan N102 flip-face helmet for Fathers Day: under $400 with my dealer discount and feels snug and secure. I don't believe that you need to spend $1000+ on a helmet to have the right protection.
    Good luck with the bike shopping: be sure to let us know how you get on :)
  18. You are about the same age I was when I ventured into road riding.

Old enough to know better, but not old enough not to do it!

Had my heart set on cruiser

And I bet you had plenty telling you that you should get a different type of bike, right?

I can tell by the way that you write that you have a sensible head screwed on those shoulders.

Oh God, why cant my Mother talk like that?

The number of CC's is not specifically relevent: the overall power\weight ratio and things like suspension, seating and preferred riding style all come into it.

So true. The bikes I feel ok on are the VN800, the Honda VT750 and the Suzuki C50, althought the Kawasaki VN900 seems the best.

Try before you buy and make sure you are comfortable and the bike has the capability to do what you expect from it.

They all have advantages and disadvantages, just like buying a car.

Beware of leather suits in summer:

With the traffic here I wont exactly be out in the middle of summer, but yes maybe I see your point

Thermals go under the jeans in winter

Oh it's never that cold here

I have a reflective vest in the saddle bags for inclement weather: on very dull days or wet nights I like to have a bit more colour.

Sound slike a good idea. I found some that are a tight fit for bikes too

Thanks for your reply. Your bike must be awesome