Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Putty road signage [NSW]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Jan 6, 2010.

1. I drove up and back down the putty road yesterday and noticed quite a bit of new signage. What pissed me off was 3-4 signs each way (in the Hunter shire) reading:

"Motorcycle Safety Enforcement Zone"

Now I'm probably preaching to the converted, but imagine if they put a sign up that read "Enforcement zone for Asian pedestrians"

Or a Sign in Bondi saying "Enforcement zone for public drunkeness of western suburbs residence"

Also what is "Safety Enforcement"?

I'm not sure if the signs are RTA or Police. They have the blue and white stripe.

Either way I can't believe they are allowed to so publically single out one section of the community.

[rant over]

2. They've been there for a long while, and while they appear to be discrimnatory, if weekend heroes would stop wiping themselves out in the Ten Mile they probably wouldn't be there.....

3. i agree with hornet...lol.

its the same reason the old road has been really cut down re: the speed limit. didn't it use to be 80?? all the weekend warriors are still taking themselves out....

4. Yes, fume away in your helmet about discrimination all you like. If people stopped using it like a race track then there'd be no need for the signs. It's really that simple.

5. It's a country road, with all the hazards that are normal for country roads, PLUS it has a delightful Ten Miles of twisties which contribute to most of its accident toll. Not all the accidents happen there, and not all are rider-induced.

RC and myself were up there a year or so ago and three disconsolate riders and two bikes were waiting for a pick-up vehicle to arrive. One of the riders had been hit by, not HAD HIT, a kangaroo in the first corner heading down to the Putty Turn-off. That's just rotten luck.

But governments are simplistic entities, and regulation always is easier than education or another, more useful policy.

That said, the Putty is a vastly better road today that it has ever been, and the Government has been responsible for the many upgrades.

6. When your state government reduces the speed limit from 100 kph to 80 kph and then makes the entire road a "no overtaking" zone, and then has police dress up in ghillie suits and aim lasers down the straights, then and only then do you have cause to whinge, because that's what my state government did to my favourite stretch of road, the Black Spur, and now it's f*cked.

7. What's a 'weekend warrior'? It seems to be noobs, oldies with new bikes and unfamiliar group riders lunching themselves - and hey, dropping the limit and holding up hair dryers won't do much for those. It's a nice piece of road for bikes, so more of us ride it! Stay tuned, next on the waste of time cop radar is Bylong Valley Way.

RC and I.

8. You mean roads with lots of corners are an attraction to motorbike riders and they tend to push the limit in the corners on such roads,is that what you mean by using it like a race track,if you don't do this then what do you actually ride a bike for,cheap transport?Pushing it in the corners is the whole point to me and the skill is managing the risk and these days managing that other risk,to your license.BTW 70% of the once 100kph Old Pacific Hwy is now 60kph with cops behind ever second tree so its happened up here as well

9. weekend warriors to me?

the ones who push it way past the ability of their bikes, themselves and their riding experience. often the ones who ride only because it "looks" cool and has a certain cachet to people they want to impress. definitely the ones that dont allow you to pass because you can take the corner that much cleaner and easier than them but don't want to be shown up. the ones who ignore all speed limits just so they can say the did X k's an hour. mostly found going quick in a straight line. mostly the ones who have an accident. thankfully most of these weekend warriors have bought all the gear because again, it looks cool.

10. I haven't seen too many 'noobs' doing stupid things on the Putty, and I have been riding it for longer than most here have been riding altogether (try 1974..). The burn on the road at the one-thirds mark southbound is from an R1.......

11. Well, I've seen plenty, and read police reports on learners...all a bit sad. Also :angel: plenty of noobs ride R1s, but that one fell into the "unfamiliar group riders" category - and correction, not just an R1.

Attached Files:

12. point taken, but the bottom line with the Putty, as with many other roads, is that we are our own worst enemies when it comes to Government action of this sort....

13. I've got no problem with the Police enforcing the law in general. If the speed limit is realistic then I don't mind them enforcing speed. in the case of the putty road the limit is mostly realistic. It is one of the few roads in NSW where this is still the case.

What I have a problem with is them so publicly singling out one section of the community for attention.

I think it may even be in their oath that they that they treat all equal.

I also question the death rate on the Putty. I haven't got the figures handy but I think total deaths is only a couple a year and they are not all bikes.

Considering it is an alternative route north out of Sydney that is not so high as to warrant particular attention.

14. Hornet,I will see your 1974 and raise you 1 to 1973,that firey scene I think was those 3 Kaw,better not speculate,one type of riding style I dont get,is the 200plus in the straights bunch,there was a post on another site once about a bloke who loved riding across the Hay Plain at speed,boring as bat shit to me.I use to operate under the time and place mantra,but on a resent club ride from Armadale to Bellagin a couple of mates got done for 128 in a 100 zone,in the middle of nowhere,we passed 3 cars on that road in 3 hours,one happened to be Highway Patrol.Its getting pathetic.

15. James Joyce lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the majority of accidents in the Ten Mile are motorcycles, and on the basis of experience, they would be, why SHOULDN'T the speed signage point out that motorcyclists are the target group for control and monitoring?????

16. Because it promotes the fact that it is acceptable for the police enforce the law on one section of the community and not another.

17. No, that's not the case at all, unless you're suggesting that Police will only book motorcyclists speeding in that section and ignore cars speeding in the same section? I know what you mean, but the signs are not there to flag to motorists that they can break the law, they are there to warn motorcyclists that they can expect to be observed and monitored.

I know what you mean, I really do, but 40 years ago there were dozens of truck crashes per year on that same section; would you have objected then if the signs of the day had said "Truck Safety Enforcement Zone"?

18. I think the sign suggests the police may overlook an infringement by a car, but not do so for bikes. It also suggests to me they will pull a bike over and book them for things they would have otherwise ignored.

The Police and Politicians will argue otherwise of course, but I think the mindset is there, and it sends a negative image of motorcyclist to other road users

Once the mentality is in place that is OK to treat one section of the community differently, then it's not a big step then to specifically legislate for them.

We are already seeing that with the anti bikey laws, but from the above it seems we are not that far from bikes being forced to observe limit-20km/h limit everywhere (for example).

I may not have gone out of my way to object, would I would have agreed with someone who did.

19. We're motorcyclists and we're discriminated against, what's new? It's been happeing since the first bike hit the road. Get over it.

20. I suppose what concerns me it that it so blatant and public. We claimed discrimination before, but it was always denied.

This signage says to the public that it is acceptable.