Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Putting my racing on Hold!!!

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Paul Kleinberg #64, May 23, 2008.

1. Yep that's right,

unfortunately i have come to the reality that I may have to put my racing on hold for a while.
    I'm currently doing yr12 and so that takes priority anyway but not only that I'm running out of dough...fast.

As everyone who races knows, it is definately not cheap! And it has taken it's toll on me this year.

I"m doing the Hartwell rounds but most likely won't get to finish them this year as i simply can't afford it. Because practice makes perfect it is a bit of a waste of time to enter a race when evryone else there rides once a week and gets the practice up and i ride once evry two months. I forget what i learnt last time.

It's not the end though, i plan to finish school and hopefully start in a few years time again.

It was the same for my dad. he rode, broke a collarbone, then didn't come back till he was 23 or something.

But I will definately keep my foot in the door.

Has anyone else had similar hurdles in their career? How did they get over them?

Paul Kleinberg

2. You get over it by getting Sponsors. Don't stop now. Your schoolwork is important, but only just.

Speak with brum etc.
  3. This is just another side to racing.
    Finding the funds is often what separates the factory riders from the struggling privateers.
  4. Yep, but it's a very tough thing to do for the first time without help. Ask your teachers how to put a proposal together, perhaps you can make it part of your yr12 studies, depending on what subjects you're doing. The teachers should be able to guide you towards a format and also how to word it, and present it.
    Also, ask around at the races, everyone will have tried it at some stage, ask them how they did it and how succesful they were, that way you will get an idea of what not to do also, if they failed miserably! :LOL:
  5. Take up golf.
  6. Have you joined a club, or paid green fees lately? Better to stick with the bikes...... :LOL: :LOL: :p

Of course, there's the boredom factor to consider also! :p
  7. Paul, it depends on what you're trying to achieve by racing.

What are your goals?

If you want to progress your racing beyond club, taking a few years off will kill that. If club racing is where you're at, then taking a few years off won't hurt, except that it's only as expensive as you make it. Hartwell = 2 day meets = committed riders = more outlay. Interclub, less intense, 1 day meets, less stress. Both are heaps of fun.

It'll be a pity to see a rider leave the sport, if only for a few years.
  8. Sell your Brothers into the African Slave trade.
  9. Yeah, I agree with Cejay, it depends what you want from the sport.
    If you want to be world champion, and why not, you need to focus on that and it's pretty much an all or nothing approach thats needed.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help, being told NO stops hurting after the first 100 times or so LOL. But seriously, ask, but be clear about your goal and how you need help.
    Contrary to popular belief, you need to know what you want out of a deal before thinking about what you can give back.