Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

putting bigger tyres on my bike

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by loader, Aug 15, 2006.

1. My rear 120/90-17 on my NX650 is looking pretty flat and square so I'm looking to replace it.
    I've been considering a more road orientated tyre which is a 130/80-17. Will the larger sectional width and smaller aspect ration cause problems? Or as long as the rim size is the same will I be relatively OK?

2. Assuming it doesn't touch anything, I can't see it being a problem. It may make your speedo off by a little bit, although 80% of 130 is 104 and 90% of 120 is 108, so your speedo would read low if anything. Others may (will) have more knowledge and experience, though...
  3. Thanks Bravus,
    There seems to be plenty of space to fit the tyre in, should be OK. I'm going to change it myself to get some practice in for when I'm on the road, how important is balancing for changing bike tyres? Bearing in mind this is not a high speed race machine