Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Put a deposit down for my new bike - CBR900RR

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Alistair, May 18, 2015.

1. So I got my learners back in 2013 and bought a GS500F, it was a great bike to learn on, not too small and plenty of go to take off faster than (most) drivers.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't really enjoying riding it anymore, just too slow and could sometimes be a bit difficult to start.

Checked out a couple of CBR900RR 929's on the weekend, one with 36,000km's on it, looked to be in great condition but came without a RWC or registration, had low tread and a full exhaust which I thought would be a tad tricky to get past road worthy, the last thing I wanted was a bike I would have to spend 2-3 weeks and almost $1000 on just to get it on the road.

Saw another one the next day, only 19,000km's with rego and RWC, new tyres and a fresh service.

So I bought it.

Only thing is I'm a little scared to be moving up to an (almost) 1000cc super sports. I was looking for a 600RR but had some advice that they would be a little buzzy on the freeway etc.

I'm considering getting a Scotts steering stabilizer as these bikes apparently have a tendancy to have a wobbly front end accelerating out of corners. Is it really necessary for street riding?

Any tips for the first ride home? It's a totally different riding position to what I'm used to from the hips up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Alistair

No major suggestions other than to relax. My first ride on a 600 when upgrading from a 250 was filled with dread. However, after only 15 minutes, I was relatively comfortable on the bigger bike, and actually found it to be easier to handle. A bit of aprehension is good to keep you on your toes, but since you've already bought it, and will be living with it for some time, you must try to enjoy that first ride, as you will never experience the 'first' again.
    Have fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Unfortunately I can't say anything experience wise about the bike but from someone that hates most full fairing bikes I love this one

4. Just take it easy with the throttle and you'll be right, as mentioned before the larger bikes can be easier to ride than most people think. Congrats on the purchase, have heard good things about these bikes.

5. Nice bike and here's a secret just between you and me , the bike won't do anything your right wrist doesn't ask it to and if you are sitting on your arse you gave it too much :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. The 900 series Fireblades are the world standard for superbikes, still! A couple of year ago I rode a mate's 954 up the Putty and back and it totally redefined my expectations of motorcycling. I will keep my VFR for the rest of my life but the only other bike I'd consider buying would be 900 series Fireblade.

7. Just show it the love and let it purr, no need for either of you to be screaming on your first date :)

8. I went from Suzuki Across 250 to a Honda VFR750 (20 years ago) with the same hesitation - worried about going straight to a litre bike. I test rode a bunch of litre bikes once my confidence grew but couldn't bring myself to get off the VFR in the end - was the perfect all rounder :)

I reckon the way you ride is more important than the bike. You can do stupid things on a bike regardless of size and you can ride a powerful bike safely as well.

9. I went from m a zxr250 to a gsxr600 (years and years of dirt experience) and as daunting as it was, I just eased into the right wrist (throttle) and loved every minute on that gsxr! Now about 9 or so road bikes on I'm still I love with riding and bikes after 19years on the Tarmac

10. Well picked it up and had the first ride home, very different riding position! I will say this, I can't believe how much power this thing has and I haven't even taken it beyond 6000rpm.

Picked it up from the city and cruised around doing 40 in first gear for a bit and could just feel the power wanting to go.

Then hit the freeway and some 80km p/h roads on the way home, amazing how just getting to 5000rpm is enough to blast away from all the traffic,

This is going to take some getting used to...

By the way, noticed the exhaust is a little dull, it's the original exhaust. Just metal polish to clean it up? Any particular brand good for exhausts?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autosol + elbow grease should work for both aluminium and stainless :)

maybe clean off residue with alcohol/metho after polishing

12. Sweet thanks mate!

13.  Top