Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pushing in at a turning lane....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cossie, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Just wondering what people tend to do when approaching a right hand only turning lane at lights that has too much traffic to make it through at the next green arrow?

I've seen heaps of riders (including a cop) just cruise down the lane to the left of the cars waiting to turn, then push in near the front. I tried it yesterday as I was running late for work and I know the lights take ages if you dont get through. I joined in near the front as its too risky to go to the very front as you'd be on the left of a car turning right and unable to get round before him, but the car I pushed in front of was real unhappy and virtually pushed me through the lights. I just nailed it round the van in front of me as I went through the lights to get away from the dickhead but I could see him trying to overtake the van for a long distance after the incident to catch up with me but of course he couldnt :p

Does anybody else do this, or do you just join the back of the queue and wait for 2 or 3 cycles of the lights?
  2. Oh I definitely do it.
  3. do it, right to the front most of the time.
  4. I got rear ended turning right from Power St (City Rd is it there? just after you come off the freeway) because I waited at the back of the queue. Just something to keep in mind that even though I was behind a line of like 10 cars this knob in a Jeep still managed to nudge the bike.
  5. Theres only one junction where I have to turn right at lights on my daily commute and normally there is only a couple of cars there so I dont bother, but I have done it a few timers if there is too many cars there.
    The only thing difficult is if you go all the way to the front at these lights there isn't enough room to pull in front of the first vehicle so you end up on his left, trying to get round him as the lights go green :?
  6. If the cager doesn't like lane splitting, it doesn't matter if you hook up with them in the middle, back, side or the front. But if your at the front, you can make a clean getaway, :LOL: Of course if he's sitting there thinking you may have cost him another red, he'll be fuming. I know it gets up me if I'm in my car, and a bike moves in front me and then takes off like they're on holidays. But that's another topic. [/i]
  7. There's only one place I do this - a major intersection in the CBD. Elsewhere I'm generally happy to wait my turn.

On the subject of unhappy cagers - I split (slowly and carefully) past a stationary car in King St this evening, and the driver gave me a blast of the horn. :shock:

Tosser! :LOL:
  8. For newbies (like myself, I think you need to be carefull of cars behind you.....

If you have a car on you arse doing 80 clicks, and you pull over to the left hand side of cars turning right and stop suddenly, there is no guarantee he isn't going to clip you on the way past.

I do it most of the time, but it depends on traffic condidtions.
  9. consensus is that filtering is the safest option from the riders perspective. i would personally have filtered to the right of the front car
  10. Gromit, when that happens to me, I think to myself, I'll be home chillin', he'll still be at a set of lights cranky he doesn't have a bike!
  11. If you don't go all the way up to front, yes it's rude. Why? You're holding up traffic. If you're at the front your gone before the other guy wakes up.

It's also rude if you jump in when it's not at a lights, up to judgement when to turn.
  12. I do it depending on what type of vehicle is at the front. If it's ute or 4wd, I will just wait at the queue.
  13. +1 for the perfect logic. i always go to the lead.

every time i'm not at the front it amazes me how every car driver takes three seconds to get going on green. :roll:
  14. Cutting traffic is one of the reasons I bought a bike. It's so easy and when in front you can just twist the wrist and take off.
  15. Yeah, agree with Kaer on this. My rule of thumb is, if I can do it and get outta there without holding anyone else up, I will. But if it means I'm responsible for someone having to wait another cycle of the lights, I'll sit and wait. Squeezing in half-way along is guaranteed to disadvantage someone. Usually I can squeeze much deeper into the intersection than a car, so it isn't a big problem. Even less, if there's a turning arrow.
    Being first out into the intersection IS more dangerous, however, so it may not be advisable for new ridders until they are very confident and experienced with traffic.
  16. With single turning lanes like you describe, i tend to wait my turn. If the intersection had say 2 lanes turning right then yeah i'd filter up the middle but generally not if its just the 1 turning lane.
  17. Two lanes or one lane the bike will fit. Well maybe not if it is a Goldwing, and speaking of Goldwings who has aircon on a bike? Sorry off the topic a little.
  18. this manouver is at the boundry of cheekyness for bike riders.

I've got 2 of these on the way to work and I generally do it, but I try to go straight to the front, then get going before I hold anyone up.

If there is no arrow, i.e. just turn when it's clear, then you are taking someones place in the que and that is a bit rude.

If they are lights with dedicated turn signals, that don't give you the option to turn if its clear, then it's no differnt from filtering.
  19. I'm inclined to agree. It's the biggest single thing that p1sses off drivers. Even those who are happy about lane splitting.
  20. Tricky one this. I tend to filter to the front, but only if I can do so without being over the line, and into the crosswalk, cos that's rude to pedestrians, and a $50 fine to boot. If the front car is hard agains the line, I filter as far as I can on the right of the cars, and then wait my turn, but I make sure I am to the right side of the last possible car, that way I'm less likely to be rear-ended by some impatient knob.