Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Push Start - Stopped working? Newbie! Help required.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by yoshijosh, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hi All,

Firstly, Great forum & excellent advice.

I hope you can all help me. I am a new rider and recently I bought my first bike, a Suzuki Intruder LC 250cc Cruiser.

It's been running fine.

Today I filled up with Petrol and went to start my bike by turning on the ignition, engading my clutch and pressing the starter button and nothing! My bike won't start.

When I try and start it, and push the starter button, I notice that I hear a clicking sound and that my headlight/other lights appear to turn off or go dim while I'm pressing the starter button but the bike doesnt start.

As soon as I stop trying to start it, my headlight comes on again, etc.

What do you think could be wrong?

I'm assuming it could be the battery? As my bike is a 2001 model and I don't know how recently the battery was changed, Im guessing not for awhile.

Do you have any advice for me?

What sort of Battery would my bike require??? If I need to change the battery?

Any advice/assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. The headlight will always go dim due to the voltage the starter motor is drawing.
    Not sure what else I can offer. Maybe wiring issue!?
  3. Is it happening all the time or only when you were at the servo? Are you trying to start up with the bike in gear and the sidestand down? If so make sure the sidestand is up.
  4. Hi Guys,

I'm not sure.

What I did try though, is I clutch started the bike and it started.

I took the bike up a bit of a hill, put it into second gear, held the clutch in, rode down the hill and released the clutch and it started.

I'm sure its my battery, as when I was riding around, my speedo kept turning off and on and my lights were playing up.

Ganna take it to a bike shop tomorrow and have them quote me on a replacement battery.

5. Could be the battery but then it could also be a problem with the alternator/regulator, since this would prevent the battery from charging properly and would also help to explain the other strange electrical glitches.
  6. Sometimes if I overfill my bike it seems to flood it - I guess the extra pressure may be enough to force a bit too much fuel through into the float bowls. Not sure exactly, but this could have been the cause. Had any problems since?

7. Been there on both my bikes.

First time it was the Regulator that was overcharging the battery and boiling off the fluid.
    Second time it was a dirty battery terminal.

Check the battery levels and make sure the terminals are clean etc
    You can take the battery out and take it to a battery shop for a test.

You can test the Regulator , just put a voltage meter across the battery terminal and rev the engine , should be about 13 volts to charge the battery
    over 15 and it's overcharging.

It's worth testing it yourself becuase I took my bike in and they charged over $100 labour to replace the Regulator, took them about 3 minutes todo.
  8. Sounds like either your battery is stuffed, or the terminal ends that attach to the battery need a good clean with a wire brush.

How did you go with the bike shop quote? Was it the battery?
  9. Battery. The clicking is the starter solenoid engaging, but it doesn't have the juice to turn the strater motor (which is the biggest load a battery has to deal with). Nothing for it but to buy a new one.
  10. clean your battery terminals