Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Push bike pumps for motorcycle tyres

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by lui, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I was wondering is it going to be practical trying to pump motorcycle tyres with handheld push bike pumps (for emergency situations)?

The other alternative is CO2 cartridges, is one cartridge enough to fill a tyre?

2. Yes it is possible to use a pushbike pump in an emergency it will just take quite a long time but it is definately possible. No a single Co2 cartridge will not be enough. Just to give you an idea a single C02 cartridge will inflate one skinny tyre on my racer PUSHBIKE to around 60psi.
  3. in an emergency i guess it would suffice, it'd give you enough pressure to get to a servo to fill it up with a compressor

no, they only give something like 8PSI each
  4. I have 2 Topeak handheld pumps, even though they are compatible with schrader valve but they are classified for road bike use (i.e. high pressure low air flow) so will take ages to pump up big tyres. I will look into a pump designed for mountain bike use (low pressure high air flow).

It's quite disappointing to learn that the CO2 cartridge is so weak, need to carry 3 or 4 only enough for a single use. A handheld pump or better still a portable compressor will be more usable.
  5. Never pumped up from flat with a pushie pump but regularly use one for topping up. It can be done but I suspect would take a while.

Topping up up to 5 psi or so doesn't take too many strokes though.
  6. CO2 cannisters, 3 or 4 will give you enough to get to a servo,

The Bird takes 3 or 4,
  7. I use a foot pump at home for topping up. I'm thinking of getting a handheld pump for longer trips.
  8. Clearly something has changed over time, 3 re-seated the bead on a 150/18 motorcross tyre back in the day, from memory it was up around 70psi... Best I buy a few more cartridges... 8-[
  9. I had to pump up a flat MC tyre after one of those auto-pressure digital pumps at a servo malfunctioned and let out all the air instead.

It will take you 10 mins but its not a big deal.
  10. Me too!... I carry it in the bag on the back of the bike ( along with zip ties, bottle of water, puncture repair kit, wet ones... Kitchen sink!!8-[ )
  11. For home use, when I can't be bothered to drag the compressor out for topping up a single tyre, I use a big, stirrup type hand pump that I bought from a push bike shop. It is massively higher quality than any of the foot pumps I've ever owned (even quite expensive ones) and is only marginally more effort. Even the gauge is accurate. My only complaint is that the chuck on the end of the flexi tube is a bit long to go onto the Ural's valves 'cos it fouls on the big brake drums so it's a bit of an awkward fiddle. Otherwise it's great. Why such things aren't sold in bike or car shops is beyond me.
  12. Now heres a potentially dumb question.

Emergency bike tyre inflation - wouldn't that be because of a flat tyre? If thats the case can you repair a motorbike puncture like a push bike puncture on the go - I am guessing not?
  13. Yes. Indeed it was, once upon a time, a required skill for motorcyclists. Still is if you ride in out of the way places or off road. Tubeless tyres can be plugged. Tubed tyres can be patched or have the tube replaced. It can be hard work though, particularly getting a stiff sidewalled dirt bike tyre off its rim and on again, after propping up the sidestandless bike to get the wheel out. Not terribly enjoyable, but eminently possible.
  14. I wonder how reliable are those portable air compressors, they are around the price of good quality hand pumps, so cost is not a deciding factor. Obviously they got a big tick in ease of use, but if they aren't built with quality components and can potentially stop working at any time then they are no good.
  15. CO2 are fine but as stated you'll need 3-4 in your tyre...
    Typically for bicycles, they're 16 grams but they do make 45gm size for motorcycles although they're harder to find.
    Having said that, carrying a few 16 gram cylinders is not an issue on a motorcycle.

Another thing you need to do is LEARN how to use them correctly....
    Biggest mistake people make is to just release the whole co2 in one hit.
    This usually can freeze the seal in the valve then most of the co2 can escapes before the seal thaws out enough to seal again.

Trick is firstly make sure you have a device that lets you control the flow of co2 and gradually release it into your tyre which will work better and thus need less cylinders of co2.
    I've knows people to use up to 6-7 because of this.

Another thing to note is only use the co2 to get you to the next servo.
    Then release the co2 and pump up your tyre with regular air because you'll find co2 filled tyres will loose a lot more preassure after a day or two compared to regular air.
    This is due to the nature of co2.

Been using co2 in cycling for years and from experience, great to get you going quickly but only used it to get me home or on a motorcycle to the next servo...
    Hope that helps.
  16. Good tips!

I guess a word of caution is that make sure the pump at the servo is working BEFORE letting go of the CO2.
  17. Keep in mind, if you have full fairings, you cant get to the plugs easily with out removing the fairings, You would have to install a ciggy lighter on your bike to make it work, The air compressor,
  18. i always use my bike pump. Never use the ones @ the petrol station. Very easy to pump up the tyres, even @ 42 psi.

5-10 pumps every now and then keeps em up :D
  19. Proper floor pump, or a tiny asthmatic trail pump for a mountainbike? :D

I just bought a proper floor pump for my MTB, tired of the effort needed to reinflate MTB inner tubes to 30-40psi with a tiny trail pump every time I switch between street slicks and hardpack knobblies. 2-3 minutes of tiresome trail-pump use is compressed (ahhah hah hah..) down to four easy blasts of the floor pump.

Floor pump, where have you been all my mountainbiking life!?

Yeah - Like PatB said, for tyres with an innertube (dirtbikes mostly) you'd either replace the whole innertube or seal it with a puncture kit. Probably easiest just to carry a spare innertube for the front and rear each rather than faff about with glues and adhesive patches and crap.

Tubeless tyres get plugged with a tubeless tyre puncture kit. I've used one twice, though both times I made it home before my tyre actually lost pressure 'cause of how slow the leak was. One due to a nail in the work carpark, the other was during a 1000km interstate run. Go into the garage the next morning to go to work and find the bike sitting on a flat rear tyre. :p

I usually carry a tubeless repair kit when I'm riding interstate or going to remote twisty roads where a tyre disablement could result in being eaten alive by dropbears overnight, with no mobile or UHF reception and no regular passers-by to beg a lift from. Touch-wood it's not been necessary, though 12 months ago one of our number needed a puncture repair in remote Taswegia on our tasmania tour, so who knows. :)