Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Pure arrogance

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Mr. Grumpy, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Been riding just over a year now and have typically found most cagers to be reasonable and courteous towards bikes - maybe it's due to living in a less-populous and very laid-back area, although I am very cautious and always expecting the worst - always have been even when I myself was confined to a cage. Today though, I had a very bad experience.

Picture this -
    Approaching a red light on a double-lane road. There's a few cars stopped already, and in the right-hand lane a Hilux with a trailer has stopped about 10m back from the lights. I filter through to the front and stop in front of him (this is Qld, so it's legal). All good, no issues. Didn't expect any sort of trouble from this - kept an eye on mirrors and all was fine.

This intersection is an entry/exit ramp to the motorway and just about every time I go through there (not all that often) I see someone run a red. I see that the light is about to go green, check for cross traffic that might run the light, and start moving just as it changes. I wasn't taking off like a 90-yr old grandma on her way to church on Sunday, but I also wasn't doing a Marc Marquez spec grid-start either.

Next thing I know, this Hilux is BESIDE me, in my (our) lane, at full noise (which strangely for this 1982 Hilux wasn't all that loud). I didn't hear him (ear plugs), or see him (wrote that threat off, ample space behind me and I was more concerned about the cross traffic running a red) until he was beside me. He was beside me only a fraction of a second after the light changed so must have jumped before it changed. He made absolutely no effort to give me room so I was trying to juggle between crossing back into the other lane and braking to get myself the hell out of that situation.

He did a dodgy straight-ahead to turning-lane merge to the next lane over to the right (also common at that intersection!) and went round the corner and up onto the motorway. I got up beside him just before he turned, beeped and gestured 'hey what gives?' (I'm a nice guy, shoulda flipped the bird...). Old mate looked at me with fire in his eyes, was shouting and flipped the bird before disappearing round the corner.

Hope he got to where he was in such a hurry to get to without killing anybody, cos he sure seemed intent on killing me...

Now I'm wondering - WTF did I do wrong, or was I just unlucky and got too close to a p!ssed off kid? The only thing I can think of I did wrong was not glance in my mirror before I took off, but old mate was already raging by then...
  2. Just another homicidal dick head on the road. You don't always meet the nicest people on a Honda.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I think old mate in his ute was just so jealous of you and the freedom of a bike he did his nuts.

As you pointed out, should have checked your mirrors and stay aware of vehicle movements behind you as well.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Young tradies in 4wd's or large Utes are always an issue and should be avoided when possible.
    It's a bit like 'my truck in built to take out trees, a little bit of bike won't hurt either'.

I was driving ( :-( ) home from work last week on a wet day and noticed a large ute in my mirror while waiting for the lights to change.
    I was about 4 cars from the front, in the left lane of 2 right turn lanes and he pulled up behind me.
    When the lights changed for us to go all the traffic started moving off and complete their turn. Again I watch in my mirror as this young rockstar in his 4wd comes around the corner behind me and loses it. Finishes up blocking 2 lanes when he comes to rest facing the wrong way down the road.
    If he had been in the inside lane anyone that had been beside him in the corner would have been wearing him as a hood ornament or roof rack.
    Some people just don't get that it might be a bit slipperier in the wet.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I wonder if he was trying to do what trucks do, stop back from the the line and get a run up to the line when the light turns green? Not defending him, just highlighting another thing to maybe be aware of.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. He left the room so he could do a rolling start, to make sure he could get across out of the turning lane. After that he was just suprised and angry.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. In hindsight, yeah - this is most likely what the go was. No doubt next time I see souch a 'golden opportunity' at the front I'll be a lot more cautious - as in - I'll pull up in the other lane!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. If he was doing as Sue and I suggest, he probably had a plan, leave room for a rolling start, gun it and get where he wanted to be. You end up in his space and had a different plan to him, look at it in his eyes, you got in from of him, then hindered his progress? Not trying to be a preacher for the cage, I guess what happened you will add to your road craft book.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Also.....You will always get people that think you jumped the que regardless of whether it's legal. Same thing(well same but different) happened to me today. I snuck to the front and took off fairly quick - as you do to jump ahead. Check left mirror, yep he's way back. Check right mirror ( my adopted lane), the chick in the SUV whose lane I chose is right there. She must have absolutely floored it and was the car I assumed least likely to have a go. I just moved over and left her to it.
    But yeah, after take off check mirrors and take evasive action when required. It doesn't happen often but when it does you know you've upset someone!
  10. do you park parallel to the lane markings or at a shallow angle so as to be more visible to others, and have better vision of others?
  11. Good question. Generally at a shallow angle. Today I was parallel - but - given all the extra space I moved more towards the center of the lane than I otherwise would and headed back toward the left of the lane as I took off. I personally cannot fathom the idea that he didn't know I was there - there was a lot of space between he and I, I shouldn't have been in a blindspot as I was right in front of him, and my bike is reasonably loud.
  12. They will kill you rather than admit their own insecurity. Keep clear of them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. But you don't know this until they show it . then its time to react
  14. I see people get so defenesive about their position in traffic everyday and go ballistic when they see a motorbike 'cue jump' and push infront of the line they have been waiting in for the last 10 minutes. Motorway entrances seem to be the worst for this.

Sometime a simple wave gesture when you filter past someone can calm their nerves. Its wise to always have one eye in the mirror, have an escape strategy and be in gear as the lights a few seconds before the lights change.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Once filtering comes in VicRoads needs to promote the concept that it reduces time in queues and beneits drivers to minimize such road rage, otherwise this sort of shit will just continue.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. I've only had one problem with filtering/splitting and it was very similar to the OP. Land cruiser instead of a Toyata Hilux. I just backed off and let it pass. But I think it can go both ways.
    The rider has to learn a certain etiquette to filter/split without causing shit. When I split I sometimes indicate when crossing lanes. It's just a personal thing though. When I'm in a car I admit I do get jealous. But mainly because I want to be on that bike. I always leave them room
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Firstly, great thread. Mr G comes on here - explains a situation about a grumpy driver. Some respond giving a plausible explanation, and Mr G accepts it as a possibility and indicates that he'll consider that next time. Kudo's mate - great stuff!

This also has me reconsidering myself. So far, I've pretty much automatically assumed that if someone is upset with a bike who filters by it's because of "queue jumping" and dismissed them as being naieve and maybe a little childish. After reading this, I realise that was quite presumptuous of me.

I know when I'm in a car - I have no problems with someone pulling out in front of me, or getting in front of me. Likewise if a bike can filter through - I think good on him. I consider myself a realtively patient drive

However - if someone makes an effort to get in front of me, and then proceeds to hold me up - (Pulling out in front of me with little room instead of waiting for me to pass, especially when there are no cars behind me and then proceeds to drive 20kph below the limit on a single lane road with no overtaking opportunities holding me up) - well, then I can get a little.... "disappointed" in their decision.

Considering that, I now realise that I shouldn't automatically assume that a driver upset with a bike filtering is just because they don't like queue jumpers. I don't like others getting in front and then preceding to hold me up, so neither will others.

So the question is - if I filter - should I be prepared to be fast off the mark, and if I'm not - what's the best thing to do as a rider?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Answer is, your on a bike, how can you not be fast? But if you're happy to just cruise along, sit in line. You have a choice, and when you filter you may just wish to go part way too.:)
  19. What do you already know about this intersection?

1. “This intersection is an entry/exit ramp to the motorway and just about every time I go through there (not all that often) I see someone run a red.”

2. “He did a dodgy straight-ahead to turning-lane merge to the next lane over to the right (also common at that intersection!)”

Take 2.

What clue did the vehicle’s position give you – a Hilux towing a trailer sitting 10m back from the lights ?

Why do you think he was sitting 10m back?

Did you notice whether he had his indicator on?

Was the turning lane next to the right lane backed up with traffic? (Not clear on lane layout here) Had drivers queuing in the right turn lane failed to leave a gap to let him and his trailer in? (He was towing a trailer, not the easiest to just pop across to the next lane if he’s left it a little late, made a mistake, accidentally overshot it and then been blocked out).

If he’s been blocked out by other drivers closing gaps on him, then he’s probably going to already be annoyed before you’ve even arrived on the scene. And he’s likely to be looking to either get ahead of the queue to try and merge, or accelerate sufficiently to merge into any gaps that open up when traffic moves off, especially if there's no end to the queue in sight.

This is stuff to have been assessed on filtering forward into the large gap given what you already know about this intersection. Need a heightened awareness of what’s going on in front of you, but also what’s happening – and is likely to happen - behind you. Situational awareness. Use what you know about the environment to inform your decision making.

Ok, well a Hilux towing a trailer managed to catch you before you’d noticed or crossed the intersection by the sounds of it. Think you may need to review your take-off in context of this, eg. providing it’s clear, take of efficiently so as to get ahead of traffic in left lane, then change to left lane giving driver behind some space back. Or, knowing what you know about that intersection, not station at the front of the right.

And this – “He made absolutely no effort to give me room” – as against this – “given all the extra space I moved more towards the center of the lane than I otherwise would and headed back toward the left of the lane as I took off”

What sort of clue did your heading toward the left of the lane as you took off give the driver? How might he have interpreted this?

If you’ve moved toward the left, opening up a larger gap, then it’s likely the driver thought YOU were aware of him and had given him some room to get to where he needed to go (in that event why would he make any effort to give you room – I doubt it was a case of him not seeing you).

Just some suggestions to think about based on what you’ve shared.

PS – Good decision not to flip him the bird. It sounds like you made some errors in judgement and situational awareness (as did the driver) and you have more important things to do instead of wasting time, energy & attention on that – like remaining vigilant for the next threat.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the detail response Nightowl, appreciate the questions you've raised.

Indicator wasn't on. He was the only car there in my lane when I approached the intersection. There was one other car in the left-hand lane, and two cars in the single turning lane to his right.

His position, or the makeup of the vehicle, didn't give me any clue as to what he may have been planning. Although had I thought about it (and certainly with the benefit of hindsight!) it would have.

Yeah - I was more sluggish than I ought to have been - but he was on top of me only a fraction of a second after the light had gone green. The whole event unfolded, including him merging to the turning lane, in the width of the intersection. It unfolded very quickly.

Fair enough, I'd not considered that. Yet more food for thought! The second part of my comment "given all the extra space" - was referring to in front/behind space, where the former is obviously width of the lane.

Thanks again for your response, given me a lot to think about! I'll be much more deliberate in my awareness and analysis next time and will have all of this in account as I do!
    • Like Like x 3