Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Purchasing first bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by RedWings01, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

Next month I am turning 16 and 9 months which is the minimum age required to get a learner riders licence. I want to purchase a bike that I can use to commute to school etc. Right now I'm trying to earn as much money as I can because I will be purchasing the bike on my own without the help of my parents. (Before you say anything, my parents will allow me to buy a bike with my own money but will not help as they dislike motorbikes). The problem is, I have almost no knowledge of what to look for when inspecting a bike. There a bunch of questions I would love to have answered if you could.

How are most private sales done? Cash? Bank deposit?.

I should have 4 grand to purchase the bike and gear. Thinking a VTR250 or maybe a CBR250RR for around 3 grand and the rest for gear + insurance. I looked online for quotes for third party insurance and found insure my ride which had an extremely low cost at about $270 a year for my age and experience. Gear wise, I was thinking of buying a helmet, gloves, jacket and rainwear.
    Are boots extremely important? Worth the extra cash? Also about bikes with aftermarket exhausts, are they legal? Should I purchase a bike with the stock exhaust to avoid problems? And should I buy all gear instore or online?

Thanks in advance.

2. Good on your for getting your license! That's awesome stuff.

As far as your choice of bikes goes, the VTR 250 is great fun. I started on one of those, and they're an awesome bike for riding in city traffic, and for taking out on the twisties. Sure, it might not have heaps of power for longer trips and for lots of freeway riding, but they definitely do the trick when they need to. Also, I'd always go for a naked over a fully faired machine, but that's just me. :)

As far for gear, I'd say buy boots before rain gear. Also, test everything in a shop and then buy it online (except for a helmet). You can usually get stuff cheaper that way. Also, as far as gear goes, don't skimp. Not saying you have to run out and buy one-piece leathers straight up, but get the best gear you can afford. After all, it's meant to keep you safe, warm in cold weather,cool in hot weather and (to some extent) dry when it's rainy.
    You can get a lot of really decent quality stuff for reasonable prices if you just know where to look and do some research. In a lot of cases you pay quite a bit of money for a brand name, so if you're okay with generic no-brand gear that'll be comfy, safe and cheap(er), you can always try Bikers Gear in Ferntree Gully (online and in store), or Mars Leather on Elizabeth street, or even some of the Aldi stuff when it goes on sale (their gloves are actually pretty damn good). AMX often have good deals on gear too, and they have shops in a few different places around Melbourne.

3. Thanks for replying,

Will definitely check out those stores you mentioned(save some bucks) and will get the boots for sure now. Thanks for all the info, ill take it all into consideration.

Thanks again.

4. welcome aboard RedWings01RedWings01, your choice of bike is a popular one, dealer or private both have there pros and cons, if you're going private a pre purchase inspection is highly recommended.

I had mine done by Madbiker, worth its weight in gold, especially if like me you no nothing about bikes :)

5. #5 udluv2, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Good choices in bikes. As for rain gear I wouldn't worry about it for now. Buy a decent jacket and it will keep you reasonably dry in the rain.
    As for boots I'll leave that up to you. I bought a pair wore them for a week and never touched them again. Just didn't like the feel of them and were awkward to walk around I'm when you stop.
    Now I just wear my steel cap boots on the way to work and normal shoes on the weekend.

As for exhaust, technically it makes the bikes non lams I'm pretty sure but unless you puss the cops off they won't care or even know. I had a slip on for my lams which was 3 and a bit years and never had a cop mention it.

Good luck with it all

6.  Top
  7. Thanks for the responses,

Are there any good insurance companies that you could recommed that arn't too expensive. Insure my ride was like $270 which is incredibly cheap. If i remember correctly NRMA wanted like $600+. Pretty big price differences there. Is there a reason why?

8. RedWings01RedWings01 don't get caught up in the month by month (or yearly payments), this is an easy trap to fall in to.

Sure you might pay $270 but there may be a $1500 excess when it comes time to claim because of your age , experience etc.

Make sure you compare the costs of claiming rather than the annual or monthly payments. Whilst its great to save $50 a month, your $600 savings over a year might be eaten up by a "inexperienced rider" payment.

To give you an example of my own personal experience my claim payment was $1000.

$400 excess payment
    $600 inexperienced rider fee <-- can be waived if you complete a rider course at places like HART etc

Always make a habit of checking the finer details and don't get caught by the upfront "savings" some people boast about. Compare apples with apples.

All the best

Juz

9. Welcome - any money you save can be put towards rider training (HART or others), would highly recommend something along these lines as you will be a brand new motorised road user (no previous driving experience) and you need to get the basics mastered asap. Plus roadcraft skills. Also try and get down to Saturday morning practise in Elwood to expand your skillset. Sounds like you have read up and researched a fair bit on bikes and equipment which is great, can I urge you to do the same (if not done already) on riding skills. Search for robsalvvrobsalvv 's thread on Noob cornering, and many other useful stickies on this site. Plus go watch Twist of the Wrist on Youtube to understand bike cornering and dynamics better.

Enjoy and feel free to tap into the collective wisdom on this site, plenty of knowledge to share here (present poster excluded :D).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks I'll definitely check out the excess fees and find the best value one. I'll check out the thread on cornering and try to find some other guides.

11. As a quick example, RACV was a cheap option (around $350 for the year) but they had a $1500 excess payment.

12. Hello and welcome to the netrider, mate!