Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Punctured tyres, How often do you get them?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by trolley, Mar 8, 2015.

1. I was just wondering how often you guys get a tire puncture? This weekend I got my 9th in about 18months.
    Anyone else have similar luck to me?

2. Id say you are either using crap tyres or you are the unluckiest rider in the world. Ive never had one on a bike.

3. Stop parking in someon else's spot!

One, in 5 years.
  4. One punture (nail) in tyre in 12yrs riding.
  5. None in 60000 kms. Touch wood. I have a kit for fixing one just in case.
  6. Depends on where you live to. I found I picked up a lot when I lived in inner city, lots of building going on there.

But nine in eighteen is a lot. Are you sure they are not pinch flats from putting the tube in wrong?
  7. Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's
    All have been punctures from either screws or nails. I live in newtown so it could be coming from all the renovations in the area.

The worst one I experienced was when I picked up a screw in the rear tyre at old pac on a Saturday. Took the bike to procycles hornsby. They plugged it for me and I got them to put a new front on because it was nearly worn out. then rolled it into the pick up area outside the workshop and it picked up a nail in that small trip. So it got a second plug. Those lasted two weeks before failing.
  8. Your plug is failing?
  9. Right now? No. This was about 9 months ago. At the moment it's got a nail in it
  10. Ok, I guess the only other suggestion is that you should be careful when filtering. Being in the far left or far right means you can pick up shit in your tyres. Filtering the middle is safer for puncture and more legal l
  11. Ive had 2 in about 9 years of riding, partner has had 1 in about 8 months of riding
  12. I must be lucky
  13. None in 12,000 kms for me.. I do carry a puncture kit and tyre pump under my bike seat though just in case.

Attached Files:

14. Two in 15,000 km. One from a overlarge tube installed so it had a series of folds and failed at the fold line, and one from a sticker (yes a sticker) inside the tyre that rubbed a hole in the tube. None from foreign objects.

Yet a friend had 7 punctures in 9 months/8,000 km all were debris; nails, roofing screws, fence staples, pieces of fencing wire etc.
  15. 2 nails in just over a year/8000km. Both on Parramatta Rd. One was a 4" bullet head nail that went in head first and made this weird "boing" noise as it did. The other was only about 1.5mm thick, and the tyre had just 170km on it. Trying to decide whether to bother with a mushroom plug for the latter, the sticky string stuff isn't leaking.
  16. That's a lot.

If you ride in the shit on the edge of roads you will more prone to getting punctures.
  17. Never had one. Been riding on the road for 13 years in various locations, conditions, etc.
  18. None in over 14000ks
  19. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The sticky string repair will probably last the life of the tyre, don't sweat about it. Just ride.
  20. I had three punctures in quick succession until I worked out what others have mentioned about staying out of the crap to the left and right wheel tracks of cars. Since then I haven't had any.