Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Puncture repair spray - does it make a tyre unrepairable?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Loz, May 14, 2008.

1. You know the stuff, you can get it at your local servo. Attach the aerosol can to the tyre valve and fill your tyre with this gunk, which then becomes sticky and seals gaps when it comes in contact with air.

I used it once years ago when I got a puncture on the GOR, and when I got back into town I was told by the bloke at the tyre shop that he couldn't repair a tyre if this spray had been used.

We're looking at plugging a tyre for Ben tonight, as much as it pains me to provide medical assistance to a Dunlop, and even worse an Arrowmax. But Ben's filled the tyre with this stop-leak stuff and I'm interested in knowing whether this basically ruins our chances of successfully plugging it or not.

I know tyre shops use the mushroom patches, where you have to take the tyre off and patch it from the inside with the stem poking through the hole - and I know these are the most effective. What I'd be using tonight is the string-type plugs that you thread through the hole while the tyre's still on the rim.

Can anyone advise whether the spray stuff will thwart our efforts?

(yay, I got to use the word thwart!)
  2. I've certainly heard that from other sources and so I'd be inclined to give it some credence.

Mind you, it may also boil down to a liability issue. If conditions for a repair aren't perfect and the repair then lets go and causes a crash, the repairer might be held to have been negligent.

As I see it, the main problem would be reduced adhesion of whatever adhesive you use. Will the pointy, pokey abrading tool in the kit get all the goop off the inside of the hole?

I think it's unlikely that a plug would actually come out. I would see a small leak and gradual pressure loss as being the most probable failure mode.

Personally, being a lazy cheapskate and used to dealing with catastrophic failures in safety critical equipment, I'd probably chance it with a rear tyre and keep an eye on the repair itself and on tyre pressure. If that worked OK, I might then be tempted to do a front, if necessary, at least on a temporary basis.

Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete. I have used the stuff but only on tubed tyres and the tubes was always scrapped anyway for other reasons.
  3. It probably will. The arrowmax is an old tyre, which should be used only for a burnout.
  4. ok for a small donation of (cost of new rear tyre/number of spectators[donators])

i am more than willing to send mr arrow max off into the smokey oblivion.

however if its savable i dont really wanna cough up another 200 odd at the moment....moving is expensive

anyone know?

i mean a retailer would never lie to make you buy a new product instead of a cheap quick repair would they....
  5. The Arrowmax is a burnout tyre from brand spanking new... As are most Dunlops these days. But we shall persevere.
  6. you will have a wild ole time getting that stuff out of the hole.
  7. Why is it Dunlops are so bad?

Speaking to the guy at Intyre the other day he almost vomited when i said the D word. Just curious.

And I've heard the same thing about the gunk - that you can't repair the tyre when it's been used.
  8. Purely personal opinion, but I can only think of one Dunlop I've had that didn't stink. It was a D208RR front and while I had a few small front-end slides on it, it did a reasonable job until it scalloped itself into uselesness about 8000km later.

Qualifiers in particular really annoy me; they take a long time to warm up, and they have a front profile that seems to cause a very annoying and almost dangerous tendency to stand a bike up under even gentle braking (which I noticed on 2 different bikes). A bloke on the netrider forums who knows his way around a bike has just had 3 crashes in a week on cold qualifiers, his first crashes in 20+ years.

Arrowmaxes last for years, like a relative on life support, but that's the best you can say about them. Grip is decent but again the profile is bizarre; they turn, turn, turn, then drop you into a corner, which is a heartstarter for learners and makes a lot of them think their bike's about to fall over.

I'm not a big fan of Michelins either at the moment, but I'd buy them above anything from Dunlop. I'd go for Bridgestone, Pirelli or Metzeler in that order.
  9. We used to get quite a lot of tyres in with that gunk in them. It was just a pain in the arse because it was messy not because we couldn't repair it. We had to wash it out with water and dry it and use cleaner etc. Pain.

I do remember though that this type of stuff was removed from the market for a time due to a court case where a guy used the stuff in his bike tyre and then didn't get it fixed.

Seems he came off and blamed the tyre for the accident and the stuff in the tyre specifically.

Anyway, he lost and stuff was brought back onto the market.

Just btw, I would recommend that you use the mushroom mini seal repair rather than the plug type. Personally, I would never trust the plug type.

Anyway, you should get rid of the gunk inside the tyre so not much more work.
  10. Coolies, just put BT45's on my SR :grin:
  11. It won't make the tyre un-repairable, but often tyre shops will say that to get you to buy new one because they are pisssed off that the goo is gonn go everywhere when they take the tyre off the rim. I know of a few tyre sellers that wont touch a tyre that has had the spray put in, or they charge $20 extra to change the tyre for a new one.
  12. I got the one your talking about "i think" .

Like this.
    What wrong with them :?

On the spray can one ,I used one on my car ,for over 10,000km no problem. :oops:
    And the guy at the bike shop where I got the repair kit like the one over said ,he uses the spray can one and road 1000km home from QLD and it was fine {might of been a small hole} ,I did ask about the tyre being no good after it and the tyre fitters being pissed off.
    He said they were real toxic ,but the new ones are lot better ,but still messy.
  13. I've used this stuff on my car. It didnt work properly, or maybe i just failed.. I mentioned it to the tyre shop and they didnt have a problem reparing it.
  14. Just take the tyre off Loz! You know you want to.
  15. Ten minutes mate!
  16. Well i won't tell you whats on the Spada then. :p

on the not of trye repair... ive seen a bike shop fix a tyre off a kwaka 600 that was full of goo. they just cleaned it out before the repair.
  17. They only say that cause they don't want to clean all the goo out of it... If you do decide to do a temp fix, save yourself $15 on a tyre fix can and use CHALK and WATER !!! didn't beleive it until i saw it with my own eyes as a quick fix out bush.
    remove valve stem insert 1 crushed up stick of everyday chalk up and place down the stem, tip a small amount of water down the stem, replace stem insert and pump up to required pressure and quickly rotate or ride bike for a short time. Check pressures again and done. The tyre i saw done is still holding and was going down as fast as it was pumped up before it was chalked.
  18. Chalk and water eh? Great tip, I'll keep that in the back of my head!
  19. A handy tip indeed, I'll also have to file it away for later.
    I'll file it in the "bush mechanic's" section, alongside the tip about eggs in the radiator.