Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Puncture repair kit

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by GreyBM, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Autobarn's Boxing Day sale catalogue has a puncture repair kit advertised for $12.99. Not specifically designed for bikes but it looks similar to mine and if so doesn't take up too much space if you have the room. Definitely cheap insurance for those who don't have one.

Just includes the plugging components, nothing to reinflate the tyre. But with the help of someone's finger placed judiciously over the hole I have in the past been able to remore a nail and plug it saving most of the air in the tyre, allowing me to ride on to the next servo.

Mods: I know this might be better in something like the Politics or Stolen Bike Register sections but this is where people are more likely to read it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. For what it's worth, I have had 3 punctures (with tubeless tyres) and have used 3 different kits to repair them. Results as follows...

The "thread the sticky worm through the needle" type - quite a lot of effort to get the needle into the tyre, but a solid repair. (Kept it in for the life of the tyre and it wasn't losing any pressure. Yeah, yeah, I know you're not supposed to...)

The "mushroom plug" type - same as above

The "one that you screw into the puncture" type - very easy to insert, but lost air quickly (only just managed to ride the 10kms home). I don't recommend this one.

Regarding inflation, I carry those little CO2 cylinders (with an adaptor).

3. My experiences with the various types are the same as above. The screw in type barel allowed a short ride home with a top up part way. Someone said they got the screw in type to work by using glue on them. Would try that as a last resort but basically I don't trust them.

I carry gas cylinders because I have some but they probably won't fully inflate a flat tyre so again they will probably only allow you to inflate sufficiently limp to a servo. I now carry a mini compressor. Around $40 and available on eBay and stores like Andy Strapz. However they do take up space which some bikes don't have.

4. Sticky worms every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've never needed one (touch wood) but I carry the sticky worm type and then I have a tiny push bike tyre pump about 1/3 the size of a normal one. I know it will take forever to pump up a motorcycle tyre, but I fugue if I'm desperate then difficult is better than impossible and the little pump takes up very little room.

6. Sticky strings are great, use heaps of them from quad bikes up to tractors, get good ones from a tyre shop as crappy ones don't hold up in the wet

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Just had to plug my tyre recently. I had to buy an Autobahn kit but I only used the reamer and the needle because the plugs that come with a tube of glue are rubbish, so I bought the proper self vulcanising plugs the best ones are Safety SealĀ® brand, available on eBog. I also agonised for a long while over which pump to get because if the tyre goes flat then the plugs are pretty useless, ended up getting the Rocky Creek MotoPressor pocket pump, which is small enough to fit in the tool cavity under the seat.

8. #8 Andrew West, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Recently had to fix a puncture for the first time, I used the "sticky worm" with success. The repair was done at home so used a hand pump for inflation but I keep one of these under the seat of my bike Tomcat Mini AIR Compressor FOR Motorcycle Scooter Mower Free Case | eBay
    I have CO2 canisters in the puncture repair kit but I thought what happens if the repair fails on the first attempt. Finally yes the repair kit came with instructions but I had also watched a few youtube clips on the procedure, nothing like seeing someone going through it step by step ;)

9. Yup.. I did my first repair without reading instructions or watching a YouTube video and lost two worms before I got it sorted so I'd definitely recommend keeping the instructions :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just make sure you rough up the hole well with the reamer to give the string something to adhere to

11.  Top
  12. I've been trying to find vulcanising patches but hadn't had any luck so far. We used to get them from Repco 20-30 yrs ago but it doesn't seem like anyone stocks them anymore. I hadn't tried Fleabay. Good call.

13. Picked up this little fella recently, looks like a tent peg for a kids backyard tent.
    image.
    The short bit, about 25mm long, was directly in the tyre, the repaired hole just below it. The bike started sounding rough (I wear ear plugs) and suddenly my gauge told me I was rapidly losing rear wheel pressure. I have this kit under my seat (bought from A1 in Ringwood) + tent peg.
    image. image.
    Not knowing what pressure each CO2 bottle contains, I added a couple of bottles of air (wear gloves as the CO2 is cold), also knowing there is a servo about a Kay away. Total pressure at the servo was about 14psi! I boosted it to 32psi (requires 42psi) but the servo pump was playing up. I'll be buying one of the pumps suggested in this thread. Without the repair kit, I would have been in trouble.
    Another lesson learned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 Petesul, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Oh, and a reasonable set of instructions accompanied the repair kit........
    image. image.

I'll be monitoring the pressure, it's a relatively new tyre.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pressure each gas cylinder is dependent on tyre size. You will inflate a front tyre to higher pressure than the back as it is smaller. Also big bikes with larger tyres will get to a lower pressure for the same number of cylinders than smaller bikes with smaller tyres.

Looks like I have taken a different puncture route to you Petesul. Just had one repaired today and it was from the smallest piece of metal you have ever seen, about the thickness of a pin and half as long. But whatever steel it was made of was serious stuff, totally rigid and no sign of being able to bend it.

16. A bicycle pump will do the same job as CO2 cylinders or an electric pump. Cost is cheap and will last. Takes up little room

17. I've used a bike pump to top up a few psi but wouldn't wasn't to have to do it from dead flat'. Takes more pumps than my arms will do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. This is the kit I got from Pashnit in the US, no glue or adhesive used with these little mushroom plugs, they get pushed into the hole via the hand-gun plunger, takes about 5 - 10 minutes to fix a puncture. So far I've done three tyres on the car with 20 - 30,000kms on them and no leaks. Have not had to use it on the bike yet - touch wood.

img_7812.

As for air, well lets just say I have no issues there:

img_7813.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Where is the bar fridge?

20. Worms and mini-floor-pump. I've had to use that combo in anger exactly once, but it works fine (if not as compact as having a couple of CO2 canisters).

I found the mini-floor pump (with hose and a folding leg and handle) is a lot less tiring at the side of the road than a pure handpump because you've got the ground doing half the work for you. I've gotten a rear tyre from dead flat to ~45psi on a roadside repair. Just be sure the hose is long enough to get the pump onto the floor when using it on the rear tyre, and a built-in gauge is good to get the pressure in the ballpark until you can get home or to a servo.

Here's one mounted to a pushy, but it could just as easily mount to a subframe rail or live in a nook of your luggage.

topeak-mini-pump-mounted.

• Like Like x 1