Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pull the clutch going downhill - bad?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ckramer, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I the area where I'm practicing my rides, there are some downhill streets that end with either a turn or rundabout. So I need to slow down before it.

I am kind of picking a habit to pull the clutch while going downhill. Then before the turn I smoothly brake and switch to 1st or 2nd gear.

Is that a wrong habit?

When I try to go downhill in gear, I have to be in 4th gear and it's taking too long to changedown and brake before the turn. If I changedown earlier during the slope, I either orverrev the engine being in too fast gear for this situation or get the engine braking and slow down the traffic.

I should always ride in gear and it's a matter of experience learning changedown quickly?
  2. Yep, bad habit.

Yep, you should have plenty of time.

If you're REALLY out of time, pull your clutch in as you're braking, pop it down two or even 3 gears at a time, then blip and slip the clutch to take up the load. You need to have a good feel for your bike and gearing, and be really switched on regarding your road speed and required speed for the corner (not looking at your speedo), or you'll fcuk it up and slide the rear. Honestly though, you'd only ever do that tearing into a hairpin from 100+ with a really short geared bike.

I don't understand how you're out of time. It's a fraction of a second per gear. Just practice.
  3. Bad idea! This is called coasting and is not recommended any time, especially when going down hill :shock:

You need to be in the gear best suited to the situation. As you slow down go back through the gears.

What do they teach you guys up there?
  4. Not recommended as if you get into a habit..

Say you are cruising along, you go up the hill in 2nd gear. You then reach the top so you clutch it in to go a bit faster down the hill. You build up speed, a fair bit of speed. Then you need engine braking so you let the clutch out. You're in second gear, so you could lock the wheel under compression.

That said, I do it sometimes - but I'm make sure I'm in 6th so theres no surprises when you clutch out. Also, I have ninja skills :grin:
  5. :WStupid: All 3 of em. :wink:
    It's the same in a cage . NEVER coast with the clutch engaged, let alone downhill
  6. :WStupid: Agree with the above 4.

Are you really overreving? Or does it just sound like it?

Down gearing correctly is a great pleasure keep practising! :)
  7. Mate your bike should be fitted with a leaver on the right bar and a small pedal in front of the right foot peg. These, used correctly are there to slow you down :shock: Practice using them and you'll have plenty of time to corner and develop other bad habbits :eek:
  8. The general idea is to always be in the correct gear for the current situation ... this way if you need to ... a twist of the throttle can accelerate you away from danger or a closing of the throttle can help slow the bike ...

If the bike is revving and is increasing revs you have two choices ... to brake harder to slow it back down or to change up and go with the extra speed that will follow ...

When the bike feels like it is over revving do you close the throttle all the way off ? ... (you should)

Best way is to practice in an unused flat car park ... accelerate up the gears to 2nd or 3rd ... then stop using front brake, rear brake, and blipping down through the gears using engine braking ... do it slowly at first but concentrate on going through each gear, letting out the clutch so that the engine slows the bike alittle before pulling it in again and changing down to the next gear ... then trying stopping quicker as you get the hang of blipping the throttle with the gear change and clutch work. Most of the time the throttle will be hard off ... except when you blip it alittle when changing the gear ... (for the purpose of learning to use the engine braking only lightly use the brakes).

Hope this helps ... have fun :)

9. Think about what happens when you roll off the throttle in gear at 4k rpm or more.......The bike slows down rapidly doesn't it. :wink:

OK, this is called engine braking and it is particularly useful when riding down hill because it provides some resistance to gravity (the force pulling you downhill). Having your bike in gear (preferably a low gear) helps control your decent. With the clutch pulled in, you may as well be approacing the intersection on a skateboard for all the speed control you have.

When you see an intersection ahead when riding downhill you need to downshift to a low gear (probably 2nd) well before the intersection and approach it in gear. This gives you better speed control on approach and sets you up in the correct gear to move through the intersection rather than changing gears at the last second.

I often select a gear on downhill sections where I need to wind on the throttle to maintain a constand speed as I go down the hill. This allows me to slow the bike by simply rolling off. :)
  10. Absolutely! Then you can power on through the corner.

As a "rule of thumb" for bikes (and cars), use the same gear that you needed to use going up that hill.

11. That being the main reason but it has other benifits. :)
    Or even 1 gear lower. Afterall, that ROT was developed at a time when most cars on the market were gutless crap heaps. :)
  12. As everyone has said - yes!...always be in a gear.
  13. im a newb and i noticed if i try coasting the bike doesnt feel as stable.

so i dont do it.

im just wondering what is so dangerous about it?

the instability of the bike when coasting OR...

coasting at 60km/h and accidentally popping it into 1st :S
  14. Not as stable, you lose out on that engine braking which helps set you up before an emergency stop, you can't accelerate out of trouble as quickly, you lose reference on road speed to engine speed for the given gear that you're coasting in, you lose your best tool for weight transfer (throttle), and most likely a few more reasons.
  15. :eek: OMG ...jesus gear...seriously not good for your clutch or your bike, on most hills the weight from your bike will keep you moving at a steady level, no need to pull in the clutch.
  16. Dont quite see how its not good for your clutch or your bike. Not good for rideability and safety but its hardly doing damage to your bike....