Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pull-pull throttle requirement?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Spots, Mar 6, 2013.

1. #1 Spots, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Pop quiz, Australian Design Rule enthusiasts and enginerds. (I've had a quick search through DOTAR already and can't see anything, so I figured I'd throw it to the crowd to see if anyone knows off the top of their head).

For 500 nods, is there an Australian Design Rule or other legislative requirement which mandates that a motorcycle must have dual throttle cables, aka 'push-pull' but more accurately 'pull-pull'?

If so, can you name the document/link to it?
  2. No. In several years of working with the ADRs I never saw anything resembling a requirement for the actual mechanism used to actuate a throttle. I don't even recall anything specifying that the throttle must be self closing.

On a more practical note, MrsB's Ural has pull only (spring return) throttles and was fully compliant with the ADRs 5 years ago. More recent Urals that I've seen have the same arrangement.

The only requirement that I'm aware of is that the throttle must be actuated by a twist grip on the right hand bar.
  3. I thought the only requirement re throttle and rwc was something like 'operates in accordance with manufactures speciation’s...' ie if it's designed to snap shut and doesn't, it's a fault of a safety feature/not adr compliant.
    Racing rules are much more specific.

Pretty crappy answer, I'll accept 45 nods.
  4. Mmm, yeah, I thought so. Thanks guys!