Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

pull clutch ---> engine cuts out

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ilovemynsr150sp, Sep 23, 2007.

1. hi everyone...just thought i should post a prob up that my dad has with his bmw f800st...today he went on a ride with some other people...when he changed from 6-5 it was all good but when he shifted from 5-4 and pulled clutch in the engine cut off...he didnt notice it so the rear slid out abit...nothing happened tho...now this happens reguarly and in every gear..he is takin it to bmw on tuesday...just tought i should ask you bike gurus on here for your help :grin: hope you can help me :wink:

2. The question is: Is it cutting out when he pulls the clutch in or is it cutting out when he changes gear?

3. Hard to say without seeing/riding the bike, but my first thought is that the clutch cable's maybe been misrouted and has either chafed through some insulation causing a short when it's put under tension, or is pulling on a connection that it shouldn't be.

T'other alternative, at first glance, is that a switch or relay in the sidestand/neutral/clutch interlock system is playing up. Probably more likely than the first if it's a newish, untouched bike.

Or it could be something else entirely that I haven't thought of. After all, it took me five years to track down an intermittent fault with the ignition pickups on my k100 :oops: .