Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pucker moments!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by raven, Oct 27, 2008.

1. A few weeks ago at PI in the rain, I lost the front-end going through hayshed, and ended up running wide and off the track, just managing to avoid the sandpit and the tyre-wall before rejoining at the start of lukey heights. THAT was quite an eye-opener, and I was glad for having saved it.

Then yesterday I went for a play up through emerald etc...
    Through a right hander, the front-end felt a little unplanted, and I pushed it over a little harderas the bike wanted to drift a little wide, I allowed the bike to just run out to the outside edge of the road post exit.
    Still transitioning from the lean, I see a huge crater on the outside edge of the road, and I had to stand the bike up to run wide of it, which angled me straight off the road and onto the dirt edge. Unfortunately the dirt had been worn away from the road-edge, and there was a 6" lip of bitumen, followed by a series of deep ruts and bumps...I did my best impression of a motocross rider on a sportsbike as the tail end switched locks, with a bit of a handle-bar handstand thrown in for good measure, and then eased the bike back onto the bitumen further up the road, still doing about 100kph. EURGH...another pucker moment!!

Might sound like I'm "lucky", but I've been pondering things a bit...and while I got caught out on both occasions - probably due to over-commitment to the corners, each time....and while there was indeed some luck involved, it was my general riding experience that saved me and the bike, on both occasions.

Now for number three whence it comes.. :roll:

2. With all this offroading, perhaps it's time to fit some knobblies to the RR? ;)

Good to hear you held it together, at least.

(I wonder how parallel mountainbikes and motorcycles are in that sense - MTBs tend to be pretty self-sufficient and unwilling to crash, so long as you can have faith in them and "ride it out".)
  3. Damn raven, glad to hear you and the bike came out fine. It's always a big wake up call when my Netrider "heroes" have close calls because it reminds me how inexperienced I am.
  4. Sounds to me like u were having one of those days when things were just not right but you continued to ride the same style and luckly managed to keep it upright. :grin:
  5. You're right Spots...I did quite alot of Enduro riding in my day, till a tree put an end to it. From those days, I'm sort of used to having a bike jump around all over the place underneath me, so as you frased it....I was able to "ride it out" with a little bit of luck on my side.

It's interesting how my brain managed to cope with both "offs"...I just did what I did without thinking about it..
    I posted my excursions as a bit of a highlite on how experience can really make the difference, and that the time it takes to build it up is worth the patience. :grin: ...even though it is not a golden talisman against all things bad.

6. Keep adding up these pucker moments and you'll win a special prize.
  7. The point is that you kept your head and didn't panic. Too many riders don't have the skills or experience and as soon as the front starts to go they've had it. The luck is that it happened in a situation that was recoverable.

I reckon though that rather than fit a set of knobbies you really need to trade the RR in for a BMW 1200GS. :LOL: :p
  8. Actually, I had adjusted the rear pre-load a bit...noticed that the front of the bike was'nt getting as hooked up through corners as I was used to.
    Later that day, and after the motocross I adjusted it back, and it was dialed in nicely again.

It was basically me overcommitting to that corner for the way the bike was handling , while having something unexpected happening at the same time. I had little or no room for error, and was left to rely on a little bit of luck and some experience, to save my arsk. :)
  9. Sounds like all that experience is letting you go harder than us mortals, but in the end the likelihood of an off is about the same (but yours will be at a higher speed!).
    I think that's just human nature, we operate at a level where we feel a bit of excitement, but try not to get hurt. As we get better at it/better equipment we just go a bit harder rather than be a bit safer.
    Do we have substantially fewer accidents now that many cars have ABS/stability control etc etc? No, we just drive closer together at higher speeds.
    I ride at what I think is a safe level, which gives me a bit of a rush, with a 1% chance of coming off. You could probably ride at the same speeds with a 0.1% chance of an off but you'd be bored. So you go faster and in the end our safety margins are about the same.
    New riders don't come off so much because they don't know how to ride, they just have not yet had enough experience in correctly assessing the safety margin they would like.
  10. Good point there mole! A good approach to getting many years more experience!

Raven man, it's time you chopped that scoot and chilled like rainbow acid!
  11. Yes, that's exactly right...We often say to noobs, relax and ride within your limits...but how do they know what the limits are, and how could they recognize when getting close to that limit, without the experience to identify it.
    It's a very good point.

btw...my post unintentionally reads like I rode twice and nearly tossed it down the road twice... :shock: which is a bit askew....ALOT of brisk riding has gone on in between times. :LOL:

12. :shock:
    Glad you kept it together, good outcome. Thanks for posting that.

Like your PI pics! :cool:
  13. My pucker moment on the weekend, coming into turn 4 at Morgan Park, a 60kph hairpin at 175kph. Dumped it down two gears, on the anchors, backing it in leant over maybe 30 degrees and still doing well over 100. One of my front brake pads delaminated, momentarily locked the front wheel then shot clean out the top of the caliper past my head and right up into the air. Instantly lost all braking from that point putting weight back on the rear end which hooked up with a mini highside then straight off the track with no front brakes. Fun fun fun.
  14. Well Done on keeping your head together & avoiding a bad outcome mate!
    I'm guessing that most Advanced riders eventually will push themselves 'just that little bit more' in order to acheive a goal knowing only too well how narrow that safety magin gets each time.
    Glad to hear you handled it as skillfully as You did. ( not that I'm at all surprised ) :wink:
    +1 the mole
    Footnote: I orginally wrote punch instead of push :LOL: :LOL:
  15. I can see that "HUH!!!?? WTF!!???", look on your face when the brake pad when flying past your nose, mate. :LOL: :LOL: ...especially rushing at a corner with the front brake missing. :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

A good scare once in a while is good for the soul - motivates us to keep it real, I guess. :)

Glad you managed to wrestle things back under control, Dev. :)

16. How can you run off at the Hayshed, and return to the circuit at Southern Loop?
  17. Yeah!...good question Rog.. Quite an excursion, eh! :LOL: :LOL:

:oops: I meant to say Lukey Heights..
  18. To run off at Lukey, and rejoin at Southern Loop, which is turn 2, is still strange.
  19. bikes are great for scaring the shit out of yourself. we all need to be reminded of our mortality sometimes...

was going through the bends on the last half of Wisemans last weekend, just after you cross to the other side of the river, coming out of a corner at about 70 when i scored my first tankslapper. scared the LIVING SHIT out of me. bars were shaking violently for like, 2 seconds, managed to keep it upright. swore loudly into my helmet. waited a moment, then swore again even louder. they certainly keep you on your toes, huh
  20. my biggest pucker moment would have to be the last time i done the brown (pants) mountain, playing catch up as i didn't have enough fuel to get to cooma, but everyone else was fine, all was going great riding my own ride instead of worrying about what the rest of the group was doing

come up to the first left 35km/h on the mountain doing a few knots, but feeling comfortable crank it right over and there i see it the mother of all road joins, too late to stand it up and brake, would have just plowed striaght through into the bank, i literally had no choice but to pucker up, relax the arms and ride the bastard though

air bourn at full tilt all i could think was there was no way this was going to end well, and i'm sure if someone else had seen it they would have thought the same thing, made contact with the road again and the tyres hooked straight up and i continued through and up the mountain

but i will remember that join everytime i go near the brown again