Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Public Service Work??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pete the freak, Jun 26, 2007.

1. So I'm looking for some advice...

I currently work for a company that sells lift parts to lift companies (like Schindler, Otis, Kone etc) and to tell you the truth I've had about enough of it. We're a small company (4 people: GM, Me and two others) and I'm kinda second in command.
    I do all sorts of things from taking orders over the phone, placing overseas orders, dealing with technical inquiries, I'm the default IT guy (though I know feck all about computers, I just know more than anyone else here), I've done A/R and A/P, still do a little bit of warehouse work, travel interstate on sales trips, lots of office administration - shuffling papers takes up most of my day, basically I'm a jack of all trades.

I don't have any tertiary quals. but I'm bloody smart and can pick up new things damn quickly.

I've been here fulltime for about 5 years nows, part time on and off for about 3 years before that, and I've been umming and ahhing about leaving for about 2 years (when our company got bought out by a big British company). Thing is, I've been here so long that even though I hate it here, it's comfortable. You know, better the devil you kjnow and all that. But recently my shit days at work have been rally affecting my personal life. I'm becoming more of an arsehole to my girlfirend and my mates, I'm losing patience with people quicker than I should, basically I'm just becoming a grumpy fcuker.

I know I'm going to quit soon, I just have no idea what I want to do. I'm not too interested in making the Forbes 500 rich list, I just want a job that I can forget about when the clock hits 5, some thing with a helluva lot less stress than I'm dealing with now. I'm one of those people that believe we "work to live" rather than "live to work".

I've looked at being a postie, but the pay is so hopeless it's not funny. So then I had a brief look at the NSW Public Service. From all accounts I've heard, Public Service jobs are generally pretty stress free. Can anyone shed some light on what it's like to work for the public sector (NSW or otherwise)??? Maybe direct towards some of the better departments (agencies?) especially where office admin type experience would be beneficial??

Cheers in advance and thanks for reading my rant...
  2. Congratulations! You are prequalified to work in the Public Sector!

I have a friend who works as a public servant, he says that can get just as frustrating with the overall general level of incompetence in some departments: or the obligation to pick up other people's slack.

But hey, give it a go. Local council positions of significance usually go in the local paper... I think other positions are advertised online somewhere.

... try to get a gig that gives you school holidays off or something. That'd be ace!
  3. Id suggest going for Commonwealth Public Service rather than state level (i've heard plenty of bad stories about ACT govt, can't imagine NSW would be any less incompetent!)

There's heaps of benifits in the PS, and we all get paid soooo well, its ridiculous! You should be able to slide in as an APS4-5, they get paid from $50K-60K, can't complain about that! And it's hardly hard yakka.
  4. Yeah, I found this website:

It's where they advertise ALL the public service jobs going in NSW. Found one where I'd be responsible for the dispatch of braille books to schools for the blind. Pay was about $50K, which I'd be happy with. Probably get school hols off as well...

EDIT: Thanks GS5hundy, I'l check out the Commonwealth PS as well...
  5. Dear Pete,

Please get a job at the RTA and bring those ignorant bastards down from the inside.

6. 2loo, they bring themselves down (oh the incompetence!)

mate, a friend of mine works in dept of housing. its very boring but pays 60k. you dont need uni but they tend to empoly those with any kind of degree so just say you did philosphy or something.
  7. ahhh but can you jam a photocopyer
  8. ..and then leave it for your unsuspecting colleagues to fix.

yup....prerequisite, that.
  9. Oooh, SEP*, I'm good at that!

*SEP: Someone Elses Problem
  10. :LOL:

You've got it in the bag!
  11. How bout opening your own business??
  12. Nah, too lazy. No inspiration either. Just want a job to pay bills and facilitate my lifestyle, that I can forget about at the end of the day...

If i was in Melbourne I'd be hitting Johnny O up for a job when he opens his dream m/cycle shop.