Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Psst. Wanna Buy a Cheap Jet Engine?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by PatB, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Only a couple of grand.

Just the job for that redundant K100 spares bike I've got lying around somewhere :twisted:.
  2. 1. There's no such thing as a 'cheap' jet engine ;)
    2. The Artouste is made by Turbomeca: therefore it is French, and will cost 8 times what a normal jet engine would cost :(
    3. The Artouste (when not installed in French helicopters with the blades going the wrong way round) is an APU, and is desinged to run at a constant speed. All you need is a massive torque converter to use the power :eek:
  3. All true. Apart from this particular one being made under licence by RR, according to the data plate. S'only 60kW as well.

Still a fun bit of kit to play with though. You could pretend to be Frank Whittle, inventing the jet engine and frightening the neighbours by testing it with the business end poking out of the shed window :D.
  4. :LOL:
  5. #5 Roarin, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  6. I LOVE it. Ratty old 70s Jap running gear, lots of improvised engineering and a bloody great turbine exhaust hanging out the side, a rider who's really old enough to know better, state of the art (circa 1975) protective gear and a (apparently) public road :twisted:. Oh yes, and everyone else keeping a very safe distance away from the beast. That's what real specials are all about.

Looks like he's built it using a truck turbo. I've wondered for a long time whether that would work. Looks like it does.

We need more people like this :D.