Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P's test info

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jimi, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hi All,

I dont know if this topic has been covered, if so, sorry.

I was after information on the P's test. I have looked at a few sites which just give infor on Level 4 & 5 cst $$$ etc. I wanted to know, what you actually have to do for the test. The L's test info is on the web (slow ride, braking in 7 metres from 20kmph etc).

Anyone know any good sites with this info?

I am hoping to go for the P in Jan/Feb 05.

2. Go here http://www.motorcycletraining.com.au/
    and click on course info Jimi. Also, if you go there for your test, you get the netrider discount if you are a member :)
    Good luck with it

3. My instructor for my learners told me... hope I can remember correctly:

2 sweeping turns inside the lines, you score points for the time taken to complete the turn. Less points is better.

Series of emergency stops and swerves - you head towards a cross on the ground, and when the light comes on, you do what it tells you - left evade, right evade, stop or stop (yes, there's 2x stops). If you screw one up (ie: you stop instead of swerving), you score loads of points, but you get up to 2 second tries. You won't know which is coming up either (although you can "count back" so to speak - once you've done a left/right swerve, you know it won't come up again)

I think thats it - not sure though.

4. i dont know where to get info on it, but i can tell you that its easier than the Ls test in my opinion. provided you're not a complete clutz, i just cant see how you could fail it. :LOL:

its points based, the less points you accumulate, the better. you can rack up anywhere up to 40 points without failing, and the average is around 18 or so for a memory. i got 10 on mine no sweat, this was taking it easy and giving myself plenty of space, its really quite easy.

if memory serves me correctly (which it quite often doesnt :oops: ) there is 2 basic sections. 1st is a left turn and a right turn, just take the corner without touching the lines as fast as you are able.

2nd is a combination of random emergency braking and turning. as long as you wait for the signal and dont try to anticipate what move you need to do next, you will pass with flying colours.

you'll see what i mean by how simple it is, there really is no reason to be scared of it :D

5. Thanks guys,

I saw the link flipper sent me and thought 'this can't be it' only 2 riding sections. But it appears that that is all afterall.

Next step..... booking in (and finding the money to do it :))

6. Yeah man, it's ridiculous.

The Learner test is much harder. But I guess that makes sense...

All I can say to all those still on your L's, don't hold back only because you think you won't pass. Give it a go and I'm sure you'll be surprised at the ease of it.

7. I'll echo what Roderz said.

The best reason for doing the P's test is the days training that comes with it reitterating most of the stuff you did on the L's course. Do your P's as soon as you can for the training and the option of upgrading the bike after 12 months if you so desire.

8. There are a couple of things which are not obvious about the 'P', which took me a bit to realise:

I did mine at HART in Kilsyth. Statements are not a reflection on them - I found them to be very competent and professional.

The tests described are correct. Two sweeps, and 4 combo of countersteering / emergency stops.

I got mine 3 months after the "L"s. I put 2000km under the belt. Probably should have doubled it.

I ride a cruiser (when the engine is in anyway - at the moment I push it). The difference in riding position took me a couple of hours to be comfortable with. I am sure if I did the test on my bike, I would have sailed through, but that is not the object of the exercise. One should be licenced to rike any bike, not a bike.

Of the 12 people on the course, 4 got through. This is not a reflection on the training received. 4 dropped the bikes - instant failure.

The weather didn't help. Dry all day, and at the time test was due to start, threatened rain. Made people nervous.

Most people lost the majority of points on the lights test. Anticipation is the killer. Start to brake, then realise should be counterswerving did a lot in. The key is to realise the lights are not going to change while riding down the speed check lane. Clear your mind, and RELAX. You can do it easily. In another forum, this would be called performance anxiety.

In my case, the sweeps were the main problem. The test bike can lean more and therefore go faster through the sweep than my GZ250. They don't have an old fogey allowance.

Good luck in the test. You won't need it: if I can do, anyone can.

my 2.2c (incl GST).

9. I cruised through with 9 points. The hints I would give are
    - practice riding a steady 20-25 kph. This is the lead up to the light test. Those that had trouble when I did the test where too busy trying to maintain speed and not focussed on the light test.
    - don't fixate on the lights - keep scanning to maintain balance -you can't miss the light change
    - relax...the death grip on the handle bars will mess everything up. I had a 3 hour practice session before the test and even a lass who couldn't manage the counter steer(swerve) still passed. She just sort of leant a bit and got 2-3 foot deflection instead of the 6-8 required.
    Don't cross the lines on the corners, don't do the wrong maneuver at the lights and you should pass.

10. i have got the downloaded run through of the ps test let me know if u want a copy. it gives u pics and distances etc?

11. As you would expect, the P's test in WA is different to eslewhere (no jokes about us Sandgropers being 'different', we already know) but here is what you do on your test over here (should anybody really care).

Emergency Stop The examiner will get you to head towards him/her at about 50km/h and then stop as quick as possible when tehy drop their hand. You are meant to stop without locking either wheel up and it is the examiners discretion whether you stopped close enough(or so I'm led ot believe).

Figure Eight There was a rumour a month ago that these were being canned due to legal issues (it's not a legal road manouver), tho they have found a workaround and you will still have to do them. the examiner will drop his gloves down between 1.5~3m apart, depending upon your bike, and you are to complete a few figure of eights (2 or more) without putting your foot down, running over gloves, mounting kerbs, hitting the examiner etc. You can use the full width of the road.

Hill Park/Hill Start You must be able to stop your bike on a hill and be able to take off again. Some examiners get you to hop off, test to see if you have locked the handlebars, do a little jig then go. Some skip this altogether. Fairly easy stuff.

General Riding From when you leave the licensing center, throughout all your manouves and back again, the examiner assesses your general riding. Things like indicating, head checks, road position and general roadcraft.

The test isn't hard. I did mine in September, didn't have to do hill parks/starts (tho i could tackle the hardest hills in the area) and the street I did my Figure Eights on was really wide, so it was real easy (my '8' must have looked so squashed). In WA this is the only test of your riding skills, to get your l's its a simple 15 question computer test, things like:

Why wear a safety Jacket:
    a) It looks Good
    b) Keeps you warm in Winter
    c) to protect you when you have an accident
    d) None of the above

and other very easy (sometimes comical) questions.

Once you have passed that, you are able to go out with a rider who has had their licence for 4 or more years, or a qualified riding instructor.

To get your open class licence, you need to have held the 250 licence for 1 year and sit the same test again, this time on a bigger bike. You can (like I have done) get your unrestricted learners the day you pass your 250 test, you just cant sit a test for a year. The same rules apply, must be accompanied, must be wearing L's

12. Wow :shock: , alot harder than getting your license in Vic. IMHO it's too easy to get your licence here, maybe the rest of Aus should follow W.A's lead.

13. I recently got my licence at HART.

Everyone who did the test passed (unfortunately one girls licence was suspended as of that day, but she hadnt counted the days correctly and thought it was the next day. They let her do the training, but couldn't legally test her)

Although a fairly easy test, the factor of getting used to a different bike can play a part.

I would also NOT recommend doing the test either sick (I wasnt sure if i was gonna chuck or pass out first) or in heavy rain (my instructor asked me to do a few laps inbetween the corners and the stop/swere runs, so that he could run and get his umbrella as the rain was comming down quite hard)

But a good day, with lots of great tips and guidance.

Best bit was getting back on my baby the next day. It was great to get back on a bike that i know so well, as well as a general relaxed and relieved feeling, i now KNOW i can ride ok. That morning, i rode my baby better than i have ever before.

Emily
    '91 Across.......... now minus one rather worn L plate

14. dont forget you have to do one lap "DANCE OF THE FLAMING FLAMINGO" to pass with credits:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: