Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P's test in two weeks. What should I be practising? (NSW)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ham, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hello all,

I've had my bike for two months now and have been riding it to work most days as well as having a couple of trips over the Bell's line to Lithgow.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any tips for my P's test in two weeks. What should I be practising?

2. Practice relaxing!

Considering the test is low speed, you need to move your body weight around to stay balanced.
  3. I did my all of my restricted license while living in VIC so I'm not personally familiar with the terrors of the NSW test. ;)

Judging by threads here and the actual test criteria, though, most people seem to have trouble with the slalom riding and the tight U-turn.

Particularly the tight U-turn.

Don't forget to headcheck, too. :)
  4. The nsw MOST test is reasonably easy to pass, if you remember your headchecks all the time and don't stress yourself out, If you are competent and relaxed you should sail through it, Go to the rta website, print out the most test components, then find a car park somewhere and practice, Or go to nsw rides and events section, they do a learners session every sunday at homebush and will help you out
  5. In all honesty, I say practice staying awake and attentive. I found the P's test geared so damn slow and as a result boring. I was falling asleep in the class room and not paying attention on the bike; thus resulting in silly mistakes here and there.

Relax dude, it's easier then your L's test I say.
  6. If you've done plenty of roadriding you wont have any trouble if you keep your cool. I would suggest though practising the swerve and ebrake tests as they are pretty strict on making you hit the correct speed range within the set distance and then stopping or swerving in the right distance. It is easy, its just that with roadriding you probably havent practised plateauing at 25kph (iirc) within the required distance before you start the ebrake or swerve.
  7. The most is easy if you have good throttle, clutch and brake control. Practice doing your tight u-turns in an empty car park the day before and you should be fine.
  8. Mate,
    Exactly as the Brownyy and others have said.
    Practise all your riding skills that you've been doing leading up to your P's.
    A quick review of all the areas covered in your L's, such as Emergency Stops, Emergency 'Swerves' ie Countersteering. The rest will have been done by you indirectly during your rides.

My "P's" test was extremely easy. In fact LOTS easier than the L's...to the point I was puzzled when told 'Okay mate, park the bike by the shed' , signaling the end of my test sequence. You'll be JUST fine.

What you really should be practising is drinking..and lots of it... coz that's what you'll do later on that night :beer:
    It'll be over before you know it.

Have fun !
  9. +1 to that, you've been regularly riding, just practice your slow u turns and figure eights.
  10. Yeah have fun! i can vouch for that :LOL:
  11. Yep - slow speed stuff. Straight line at an absolute crawl, u-turn, turns both ways at what feels like slower than walking pace. That was the hardest part for me, and I'd been riding on the road daily. Get your balance and technique right going slower than you ever would under normal circumstances.
  12. Thanks for the tips. I'll get out and start practising my u-turns.