Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P's test in SA

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by infernaldark, Oct 7, 2006.

1. I was informed when i passed my L's that i could come in to the range any time and practice the five tests needed to get my P's and i was encouraged to bring my own bike. When i did i found that due to the fairing on my ZZR i could not negotiate the s bend test or the U turn test (walking the bike, let alone riding it) which means i will have to use the govenments Honda CB's. My point is considering the number of zzr's and like bikes L platers have access to now, how relevent is a test you cant pass on certain bikes?

2. I've got a zzr as well and was wondering about the same thing. I know a few people with similar bikes (basically anyone with a sports fairing) that has had to borrow a cb250 or something similar for the test, which are alot easier to negotiate.

You are right. If we are allowed to ride bikes such as the zzr, then why should we be asked to do something that it can not do? I haven't mapped the cones out in a parking lot to see if I actually can do it, so don't slap me if it is possible but just hard.

But seriously, if the bike physically can't do it, I think its time someone complained about this situation!
  3. I couldn't have pulled off the s bend and probably the cone weave on the zzr so I just used their CB. By the end of it my slow speed stuff had improved so I think it was worth while doing anyway.

IMO if you can't do the course on the CB you shouldn't be riding a moto. Thats probably how they're thinking to.

That said however I'm not likely to ever need to weave between a heap of cones in the near future :LOL:
  4. I know a few of the instructors, and whilst they say you are welcome to use your own bike, they have never even hinted that they would prefer it if you did...

They know all too well that the course is designed around the capabilities of The bikes they use, the CB's and the TU's.

The course is not designed to see if you can fit a turn inside 2 car parks on any bike. It is 2 car parks because that is the capability of those two bikes. Truth told, they will do it in far less than that. But by testing for 2, they can see that you as a rider can use the bike comfortably to within 80% of its comfort zone.

There was one guy that I know that did the test on his zzr. He did the same test as everyone else, and whilst not appearing to pass certain aspects, cones flying and all, he still passed.

He did the turn in 2 and a half, maybe 3 car park spaces sort of size, but they still passed him, because they know the capability of the bike.

He was still riding it to that threshold that they identify as proving you are capable of riding it safely at slow speeds. So he passed.

Use their bikes. It really is easier. And no offense but if you find it harder to ride a CB than your zzr, you shouldn't be on a bike.
  5. I did the test on my bike - but only because my bike is a CB250.

They made a joke about "anyone crazy enough to use your own bike?"
    I said "I am that crazy!" They seemed concerned.
    But when I told em it was a cibby they said "oh ok no worries."

I highly recommend that if you have a CB250 you do the test on YOUR CB250 as you know exactly where to find your neutral! lol.
  6. Guess I just need more practice then because i struggled with the slow speed uturns and the s-bend, the rest seems ok. I've been out on rides in the Adelaide hills with some expierienced mates and they said I had a good technique for an L plater and so i thought if i was competent enough to ride up there i should be ok with the P's stuff. Oh well, I think they give you a bit of instuction before you start the test don't they? Maybe that'll help me out. :oops:
  7. Yes - you'll spend HEAPS of time doing those excercises on the day so you should be fine.

You don't actually ride through the "s-bend" until the test, but the excercises they run you through are designed to help you pass.
    you do spend heaps on u-turns which is what helped me!
  8. Ok. good stuff. I think they should do your P's like a car, i.e. an instructor goes out with you for a ride and they test you on the road.
  9. Obviously! No fairing; test = insanely easy.

I went to acadamy of sport today, and wakehurst parkway was closed as theres fire fighting to be done on it. But was a great chance to practice 80kmh speeds on curves on the part that was still open. But anyways theres a parking lot thats usually almost completely deserted so I got some sticks and laid out the cone positions and marked a space for the uturn.

I had a couple of goes at the cones and managed to do it properly once out of 5 tries. Since I haven't practiced this before, I feel that with enough practice I could possibly master it for the test.

Hard marking out 6.1metres without a ruler, but must have been close to it. U turns dont seem that hard... but I dont know..

I would like to pass on my own bike as it'll make me more confident in my abilities. Don't particularly want to fork out $100 to rent a bike from them either. I'll give them a call closer to the test and suss out what they think about doing it on sports bikes, are they more leniant, etc.
  10. Its a game. It creates revenue. It allows the government to pass off the responsibility of accidents to the riders.
    Do the test on the CBF's and you will pass no probs. Then get on with the real learning and riding! :grin:
  11. I completely agree with you infernal. I did my Ps on their CB because there was no way my VTR250 could fit in the u-turn space (I checked). I passed but half didn't on that day!

I just don't see the point in doing a course that is specifically designed for the bikes they use. The fact is I'm not going to ride a CB250 so why should I put myself through the stress of having to learn to ride one on the day of the test. I think the test should be changed so they rate on how you ride your bike.

I believe this is even more relevant now with the introduction of the LAMS system in South Australia.

The best advice I can give you is to practice doing figure 8s in a car park on your bike if you can't get access to a CB250. Try turning in tighter and tighter untill you can do full lock u-turns (on your motorcycle). You should be able to apply the same thing on their CB on the day.
  12. The best advice I can give you is to practice doing figure 8s in a car park on your bike if you can't get access to a CB250. Try turning in tighter and tighter untill you can do full lock u-turns (on your motorcycle). You should be able to apply the same thing on their CB on the day.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a bash... :)
  13. oaklands course has now changed and i think has become easier because the width of the S bend is slightly wider and the figure 8 boxes too. the only reason why i say this is because i went there a few months ago when they just finished doing the new course and i could do the S bend and everything else except the figure 8 which i got pretty close.
  14. The P's test is easy as on their bike. I would not attempt it on a bike with fairings cause u just don't have the abilities that you have on their CB's.

I am with everyone else, if you can't pass it on a CB then start walking you dont deserve a bike :LOL:

And yeah you do get heaps of time for practice. But, if you have any questions make sure you ask BEFORE the test, cause once you are moving, they won't say squat and they just observe you.
  15. Some of the guys I did the test with hadn't even ridden a bike since the first test and they all passed. One was even planning to go and buy an R1 after the test until I broke the news to him about restrictions for a year. Do some people not bother to read up on stuff like that?
  16. Its usually the ones who don't know they're not allowed those bikes who shouldn't be allowed those bikes.
  17. might be a good day to go for a ride...

any other L platers out there keen to catch up one day and try out the ranges??

my local one is oaklands park,

i passed the Ls easily on the CB, but find my hands hitting the fuel tank on the GPX when at full lock. and that just aint gonna work!
  18. Went down there yesterday to practise. S bend no prob, weave no prob, straight line took ages fine, but the U turn.. 30-50cm outside the box.

2 friends had VTR's: one did the test on his, accepted that he'd lose points here, and passed, the other did it on a chookie. I think that's what I'll do.

19. I know I'll get an ear bashing and BullSh#ts all round, but if your at the St Agnes Range and you have Kym as your instructors ask if he will take his ZZR600 around the course, you'll be surprised what experience can do.
    Me, well let's just say I'd do better if I didn't look at the freekin front tyre.
    And if your realy having trouble cheat and use their trail bikes. :grin:
  20. no offence to you as a person, but i think that's one of the stupidest comments i've seen on here. i didn't do my p's test for my car in a 3spd non-synchro column shift manual, but i can still drive one. i didn't have to reverse park a trailer, but i still can. the fact of the matter is, it is fine to put YOU on a cb250, because it is an easier bike to ride, however, how would you feel if you'd ridden a cb250, and then you got there and had to to u-turn with pillions on a hayabusa??? wouldn't really be fair would it.

the same thing applies to defensive driving courses, i think, personally, you learn a lot more doing it in a $500 car than a $50,000 car, because you need to be in control.

the course isn't designed for everyone to learn to ride a VTR 250, it's designed to assess your skill level and control of a motorcycle. if you fail to demonstrate your capabilities on a relatively simple course on a simple bike to ride. go and buy another one. then wake up and realise that sometimes you simply have to adapt to minor differences and get over it. there are enough motorcyclists that obviously the ps isn't too bloody hard, and you know what. after you're fully licensed you can ride whatever the hell you want. and so can everyone else.