Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P's test in NSW

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sjnn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. hey guys,

i got to go for my P's soon, i heard it is hard and most people fail first go unless they do it on trail bikes. Anyone care to share their experience and/or give me a few tips as to what i should expect and practice?

2. The staement about trail bikes is a little sweeping. What the main problem seems to be is that a lot of people who try to do the test on sports bikes find it extremely difficult because sports bikes have a much more limited turning circle and so the slalom and U turn tests become very difficult.

So a naked bike or a trailie is much better suited to that type of environment.

My son-in-law has a ZZR250, but he hired a bike from the testing place and got his licence first go. Perhaps you might like to consider that.
  3. thats a good idea... i actually have a ZZR250 aswell

i might try hiring one..thanks
  4. sjnn, to counter the thing about the difficulty of the test and what what people say (not that I've anything) about trail bikes, when I did it, everyone passed except one guy on a ZZR and a guy on a trail bike!

I did mine in NSW out at Rouse Hill.

I don't think the riders on my day found it difficult. There were two groups of about 6 each, from memory. There were a couple of CB250s, an Across, my VTR, a Hyosung GT650R, a Zeal, NSR150, etc. A fairly mixed bag. True, the Hyosung and the Across found it more difficult but they got through just the same - the Hyosung being a less manouverable and the Across had bent handlebars!

My tip is to set out some cones just like the test route (see the RTA website) in a parking lot and have a go for a bit. At least then, when you do the test, the layout will be familiar and you'll be a little more at ease.

Out at Rouse Hill (and I suspect with most centres), they'll let you have a few goes at the elements before testing.

Like I said, nearly everyone passed without dramas on my day and they said that unless you're going to be a menace on the road or a threat to yourself, you should be able to get through.