Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Protest ride against unfair discrimination 29.10.2012

Discussion in 'VIC' started by danny_tb, Oct 1, 2012.

1. I know that there are a lot of riders who disagree with protest rides, but I thought I'd share this information with everyone, so those who choose to attend can attend.

I have nothing to do with the organisation of this ride. I'm only spreading the word. So if you have an issue with protest rides, please talk to the organisers. If you take it up with me, you'll be "speaking to the hand" (besides, this is an event thread, not a political discussion thread)...

Ride info:

NOON Monday, October 29, 2012
    The day after the Phillip Island Moto GP
    Speeches from 12.30 pm to 1 pm
    Then laps of the city to raise awareness of riders right to ride.

A'Beckett Street, Melbourne
    In the world-famous Elizabeth Street motorcycle precinct

If these unfair laws are forced on Victorians, other states & territories will follow.
    More details @:

There are many issues facing motorcycle & scooter riders. To keep the message clear for media public and government, 4 issues lead. NO to hi viz vest laws. NO to compulsory boots,pants, jackets & gloves laws. NO to front number plates. NO to anti-association laws.

Edits: URL updated to the event info, instead of the facebook group. Added info about the issues that are being protested about. Extra URL with further info.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hi,

I do not do facebook who is organising it ?

Cheers Jeremy
  3. love it.
    very keen to be there.

... now which bike will they pick on me the least for?
  4. Right a protest ride that has no clear objective, plans or method to execute a successful ride...
  5. I wonder if that Moto Cop survived that crash shown on that FB page.
  6. Preamble for the event:

Not really sure who is running it but there appears to be lots of hirsute men who give the impression they have led a very full and vigorous life with many late nights. I would advise bringing ear protection.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Thanks Reesa.

Cheers Jeremy
  8. LMAO... sounds like i needn't worry about my baffles then.
  9. I have mixed opinions about this protest ride.

I'm definitely behind the meaning behind the ride, that there is a good reason to let government know that just the prospect of mandatory Hi Viz, mandatory gear, mandatory FNP's and anti association laws (all being pushed by VicPol as it turns out), is unpalatable to riders. I'm just not sure how effective protest riders are.

I hope the delivered message is crystal clear though.

Here's the facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/388946751173653/

Danny, how'd you hear about it?
  10. The VMC should consider what their statement will be beforehand. They should give consideration to opposing positions that will inevitably be taken up by the public and the media. They are encouraged to choose their spokesperson wisely.
  11. A workmate sent it around to the rider's mailing list. I don't know how he found out about it. I doubt that I'll attend, but I thought I'd pass the word around anyway.

I've updated the OP to show the link to the event instead of the group (thanks for the link, Rob). I think this will help to answer some of the questions that have been asked.
  12. i was waiting to see how long until this got posted here....
    heard about it a week or two ago, from a few Harley riders at work...

hopefully it turns out like the last one..... burn the helmets.

though the TAC will enjoy the following,
    i got a smirk from it

Attached Files:

13. cant blow it up to read it.

I think its being run by the Boundry Riders,

Its all over Facebook,

I am going,

Whether it does any good or not, Who Knows, Its a start, Better than whinging about it on Forums, And doing nothing,
  14. Fair advice. Just for the record, VMC is not involved in organising this protest in any way. I only first heard about something about it, 3 days ago.
  15. sorry,

the overall number of people is 666
  16. i'm going... sitting on a forum bitching about it is NOT being seen and petitions (sadly) get ignored a lot easier than inconvenience.... just look back to the park-outs that occurred when motorcycles weren't meant to park more than one to a car space... shame that we cant tie in the practicalities to these topics too....
  17. Sounds like a winnner. Why do I have a sense of deja vu.
  18. Which is perfect. We should touch base.
  19. Really mixed opinions on this.
  20. Sounds interesting to me because the organisor has come out of left field for a change. Whether it achieves any objectives remains to be seen. But because it's not the usual suspects already makes it a win in my opinion.

Remember this road safety malarkey is nothing more than an experiment, and they've clearly signaled their intention to do to their experiments on us now.

If (or when) they force their changes onto us, if it doesn't yield the results they're looking for who will get blamed? They certainly wont be reversing the changes and we'll be stuck with them while they come up with the next batch. Hi-vis, mandatory gear and RFID is only the beginning, and the increase in rhetoric tells us they've begun.

The recent road safety survey conducted on the public is a litmus test to gauge how successful they've been in swaying the public's opinion. It tells them how much further they have to go before they can instigate further changes with minimal resistance. The time is now right for a protest ride to remind them that there is sufficient resistance that they cannot just do whatever the hell they like and get away with it.

Until now, no group has opposed their hair brained ideas or the spin they've put out into the public about their little agenda or the lies they've used to justify it.

Remember, they dropped the speed limit in the CBD and pedestrian fatalities went up. Their catchphrase has always been 'if it saves just one life it's worth it'. Well it didn't, their focus on speed has cost lives. And at no point have they admitted their failings.

At no point has the media provided any resistance or asked the hard questions when it comes to policy outcomes. And the data and the truth is now being actively hidden from the public's eyes.

The TAC sponsors Channel 7, 9 and 10 and the HUN. All of our mainstream media dances to the tune of the road safety spin. If you want to change the news there's no other option but to go and make some.

Consider for a moment, if the same numbers that filled out the online petition hit the streets in protest, that would MAKE the news where there is none.
    • Like Like x 3