Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Protective gear

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Ananda22, Jan 22, 2006.

1. couple of questions boy/girls regarding the safety issue..

1) Whats the best type of protective gear , eg leather, those jackets etc?
    2) how much does it really help in terms of injury? obviously it helps but how siginificant is it, is it life saving, and also makepossibly big injuries into small or non wat so ever
    3)whats a good price you should be paying for a goodd thick jacket??
    4) are the kevler jeans a load of rubbbish??

i am uneducated in these topics and id love to know more abt ittt :D

thanks bros
  2. When I lived in spain I would never go out on my scooter with out my high protection cotton singlet and thongs.

There was one day I had a terrablr misshap though and regreted it for a long time afterwards. I had both feet tucked in behind the fairing of my honda scoopy. It was a hot day so I decied to open my legs a bit and before I knew what had happened the wind had caught one of my thongs and pulled it straight off my foot. I spent all day standing in the local bars with only one thong on my foot.
  3. 1 - leather offers the best protectionbut its not as comfortable or convenient as textiles. you make a bit of a trade off, textiles are good for most lower speed stacks and are a chuck out item afterwards normally, leather will keep your skin on at high speeds and will most likely live to fight another day

2 - good armour can help with breakages but its definately no garuantee against it. will certainly help with the bumps and bruises. the clothing is for abrasion resistance, if you havn't seen what nasty gravel rash looks like, then good, keep it that way :wink:

3 - thickness isn't what its all about, build and materials play a much bigger part than just thickness. expect to pay between $200 and $800 for a leather jacket, $150+ for a cordura jacket. but remember that a higher price doesn't necissarily mean more protection. more often than not, it just means good marketing.

4 - not a huge fan myself, but each to their own. i cant justify $200 on something thats a step over standard jeans when you can get leather for less than that. each to their own, but i'll take my chances and wear normal jeans....

you dont have to spend mega $$$ on high protection cotton singlets and thongs tho. pete, you gotta remember than not everyone has your budget mate :roll:
    :p :p :p
  4. and check out the netrider partners for gear, some top stuff there, much better value than you'll find at the shops...
  5. Got these draggin jeans $50 on ebay :grin:

6. ohhhhh-kaaaaaay :shock:

:LOL: :LOL:
  7. Whatever you feel comfortable in, and if it's functional as well, that's a good bonus. Most motorcycle gear is designed with resistance to wear in mind, ie strong enough to remain intact until you come to a halt, which usually isn't all that far in road situations.

With regard to impact injuries, the material won't really make a whole lot of difference, though the quality of padding and armour might reduce some injuries. Where abrasive injuries are concerned, obviously the more durable the fabric, the better.

Whatever you consider to be value for money.

IMHO, probably. My draggin jeans don't feel as sturdy as my Levis.

if only you'd thrown that in up the top somewhere I could have used my "I can't answer, I can't answer that" response to a question :D
  8. I think he secretly asked "when will I, will I be famous?"
  9. I agree with what Coconuts has already said (there's a scary thought), basically a helmet is what makes the biggest difference between life and death in a stack. Protective gear is their to keep your skin and limbs relatively intact. There's numerous cases of unprotected riders losing feet, legs, hands etc., protective gear helps a lot in preventing this.
  10. ahh yeah nice stuff, guys.. appreciate it alot :D.. also jd.. the thought of lossing body parts scares me :S .. thats y i wanna know how much the safety gear really helps.. also ultimatley if you dont wear protective gear your asking to lose a body part.. i aint having a go at anyone but i rekon anyone who doesn't wear protective gear when they ride are "newbie" riders, thats what my dad tells me, he used to race 500CC bikes and said he only went out with gear once form riding a bike for 4 years.. and the only time he fell of was when he didnt wear the gear.. and fortunatley was going quite slow 40-50 kmph however he got serious grrazes and the pain was unbearable
  11. i got a lether jaket and draggen jeens and they fell comfortable and i fell safe when im riding but each to there own
  12. if you stack into something hard enuff ro REMOVE limbs, nothing short of ye olde k-niggits armour is going to help you out :LOL: trick is to try not to stack into big sharp limb removing objects, works for me so far...

aside from the helmet, its all primarily abrasion resistance (tho good boots can/do prevent some ankle breakages)
  13. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I needed a good laugh today. Thanks for that. This image is going to stay with me for the rest of the day :LOL:
  14. Other than the compulsory helmet, definitely wear protective gear even though it may not be as cool(both meanings) as shorts and a shirt.

Even a small off can have you badly injured, all of which could be prevented by wearing the right gear. eg had stitches in my hand and forarm after i came off my bicycle at 45km/h....painful yes. Now if i was going twice that on the motorbike....you get it, wear the gear.

Gloves, jacket, pants are definite in protection. But also consider a good pair of boots which may save you ankles. You'd be suprised how easy your ankle can twist if it touches the road in plain runners.

And more importantly do some courses so you can learn better roadcraft, that's very important. Take it easy and enjoy bud! :)
  15. Just thought I'd answer this one, as there's a fair bit of mis-information and negativity regarding Draggins (or equivalent) jeans.

No, they're not a load of rubbish. They've been proven effective in controlled and uncontrolled situations (by members of this forum!) and are WAY better than regular jeans. Consider that a pair of regular jeans will last less than ONE second sliding down the road at 60km/h, whereas some kevlar jeans or cordura material may last around FIVE seconds or longer. Big difference, eh?

If you're still not convinced, have a look at them testing them here:

At a bare minimum, I'd ride with a jacket, gloves, boots and some kevlar jeans. Oh, and a helmet. All the equipment gets expensive, but it's a lot cheaper (and prettier) than a few weeks in hospital! If fashion is your concern, there are a lot of styles and colours out there too - just keep looking and you'll find what you like.
  16. Did you measure that in a controlled or uncontrolled situation? What do you mean by "last" ? Is that before they start to wear, or will all of the stitching completely disassemble itself? Never mind the Draggins.. I think the rear load of rubbish may be your post.
  17. Draggin Jeans are your ABSOLUTE bear minimum if you want to save cheese grating your flesh from your legs when you stack. In my opinion, even then you should only be using them when you are just popping down to the shops.

Having said that I've spoken to a few people who have had the jean come appart during an accident, in that event the kevlar is not going to be in the right location to protect you from the slide. Others have also mention that a prolonged slide on the kevlar causes the kevlar to heat up dramatically resulting in it 'melting' onto your skin in extreme cases or at least causing burns.

In addition to that, unless you purchase the armour inserts, you don't have any protection from an impact to your knees. Compared to some cordura/leather pants that have armour in the knees and hips.

I use my Draggins for short trips around the city, if I'm venturing a decent distance then I use my Cordura pants. As the finances improve I'll be looking to upgrade to leather.

Draggins are a convient way to offer SOME protection, they aren't a total solution to the problem of protection.
  18. I'd agree Nev.., perhaps not as harshly but there you go....

There is a melbourne bloke on the CBR250RR forums that seems to have a need to crash pretty often(puts Mouth, Marty and myself collectively to shame).....he has tested the draggins a couple of times and is now very outspoken about how little protection draggin jeans provide.
  19. Just out of interest Matty -

I've taken two good slides from aboput the same speed - 50k or so. One in cordura, one in draggins.

The cordura pants ripped themselves to pieces, the zips broke, the cordura tore and I had skin showing through. They were completely useless afterwards.

The draggins came up with a barely noticable frayed edge. I've continued wearing them pretty much daily.

In both cases I was pretty much unharmed by the slide, but in my books the draggins took the punishment a heck of a lot better.