Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Protective gear "What to Buy"

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Craig20, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Just got my L's and am about to by all my gear from top to bottom. What brands should I look out for, whats the best whats the worst , and what other tips can you give me. :grin:

Cheers. :grin:

2. In before you get raped....you are gonna get told to use the search button :p

3. have a look through the riding gear and accesories forum :)

4. This thread should maybe go in the new riders section.

I'm just starting out to, this is what I've learned so far. (anyone with more experience feel free to correct me.)

Firstly, gear is probably a bit more expensive than you might think. I'm about to spend $1,500 on gear, you could get away with $1000 but you might find yourself wanting to spend a lot more.

Make sure everything you buy fits you snugly. There's no point in wearing good gear that will come off in a slide, or leave skin exposed.

I'd highly recommend motorcycling boots with ankle/shin protection. I work at a hospital, I've seen so many ankle injuries for motorcycle accidents. My brother in law stuffed his ankle after falling over at less than 10km.

I went ahead and bought a leather jacket with armour in the shoulders and elbows. Leather looks like it'll offer better protection, but if you're commuting then textiles may be more comfortable.

That's all I can think of for now. When I bought my gear I followed the mantra: dress for the slide, not for the ride.

5. Helmet
    Jacket
    Gloves
    Hatchet
    Pants
    Boots
    Spurs
    Six Shooter
    Chaps
    and a kettle.

6. go the Auburn special,
    addidas tracksuit pants,
    addidas bumbag, (over your shoulder)
    nike springer sneakers,
    and a really really tight white singlet..
    Then hang out at Auburn Maccas or Kirspy Kreme due to the fact you are a hecktik R1 rider..but remember to be only all talk as this may ruin your image.

haha no no, on all seirousness check out these incredible prices, this used to be called Mat Maladin imports its now,

www.bikegearwarehouse.com

you can never have too much safety gear.

Would billy be ok as I dont seem to have a small enough Kettle?

7.  Top
  8. Hey Craig,

Your local bike shop should be able to help you out with some advice.
    Unless you want to sink thousands of dollars into a wide-range of riding gear to suit all occasions, you probably want at minimum/beginning:

- Comfortable helmet. Something light, with a chin-strap design you like and find easy to use. Some brands might look cool, but have fiddly straps and are a pain in the arse from a use perspective.

- Gloves. Thinner gloves like Rivet aren't bad when you start out riding, because you have more feel through them while you get used to controlling the bike. Get a pair of cotton glove liners to go with them, for when the weather's colder.

- Riding jeans like Draggins, Hornees or Shift jeans + waterproof overpants. Armoured waterproof pants are a bulky pain, suitable for long trips or touring, but if you're riding out to meet friends etc, you just want to be in comfy jeans while you carry your jacket and helmet around.

- DriRider or similar jacket. Something water proof with a removable winter-liner. Buy it big enough so the sleeves aren't too short, and so you can fit a jumper underneath it for really cold nights.

- Boots: make sure they are super duper comfy, to stand and walk in, not just for riding. Ankle protection is preferred, too. If they don't feel comfortable from new, in the shop, don't buy them.

Rules:
    - Anyone who says not to buy gear that is comfortable, or to buy just undersized, that it will stretch/something to perfect fit later on is an idiot. Ignore them.

- Anyone who says you must spend $1000 on a helmet because that's what your brain is worth is an idiot. Ignore them. All helmets for sale in bike shops pass quite high minimum safety requirements.

- BUY THE MOST COMFORTABLE ONE (applies to everything).

9. Get a back protector and if you get riding jeans, get knee/shin armour as well. I found out in my off on Sunday that the kevlar lasts just a little longer than the denim. My shin/knee armour saved me from a broken knee/leg from an impact to a guard rail post and then saved me from road rash once my Hornees opened up.

10. +1
    If they are not comfortable enough, you'll find yourself riding without them soon.

11. I saw your other post about the crash, happy you're fine. About the Hornee, just send an email to them and explain what happened to the pants in the accident. The kevlar is supposed to hold up pretty well.

12. full leather, you'll never have to buy gear again if you look after it.

13.  Top
  14. I'm 20 and I've been riding for about 20mnths now and am glad i spent some decent money on gear because it also lasts longer.
    I went with the Arai vector helmet, very comfortable and a major advantage i found strait away and notice every time i try on a helmet at a shop is that the arai has much better periferal vision which is invaluable.

I bought a Technik leather jacket with armour, once again comfortable and quite warm with room to wear a hoodie underneath, make sure when trying gear you sit on your bike or a similar bike to make sure the arms come to the right length and it feels comfortable in riding position.

I originally bought draggin jeans but am a Hornee convert, different cut and much more comfortable on me, and make sure u try the pants on because both me and my mate had draggins and bought exactly the same size and style of pants but different colour but the cut was completely different it was weird and WAY to tight, but thats when i got into the hornees, my mates were actually larger in size but the waist in both was 34 so odd.

Gloves i went with have the carbon fibre in them but deffinately a good idea to get liners if theyre sport/summer glove cause it can get cold.
    Originally i bought M2R gloves but in just over 12mnths they basically started falling apart, not very impressed so i bought a set of Dainese and they're holding up very well and much more comfortable.

as for boots, i've always worn them and went with the ones i had which were fire ants that come above the ankle which is highly recommended.

And to finish off, remember your almost guarranteed to have a drop whether at 10ks or 60ks, i had mine about 60ks round a corner F(*^kn gravel on the corner, but even after that going along asphalt and gravel my gear was 100% and luckily didnt bump my helmet but its worth that extra money, a friend of mine had a stack in a textiles that wasnt much cheaper then mine but had to replace it after the stack, wear as the only sign i went down on my jacket was the scratch marks on the technik logo, and i am very glad i had large boots on because there was a lot of dust around my ankles

15. I sent them an email with the same photo I posted up on NR. They got back to me quite quickly and have offered a free replacement pair. They would like me to send them my damaged ones with a description of the off, type of road etc so that they can send them off for assessment. The positive thing is that they appear concerned with the performance of their product and possibly R&D. I hope all riding jeans improve. They are convenient but have performance limitations due to that convenience. I'll still be buying leather riding pants. I was going to all along but was waiting to accumulate $600-$700 that I'll need for them.

16. You say your gear was 100% in your off at 60. I went down at 65 and my Hornees took a battering and ripped up. How did you get away without destroying your Hornees? Most of my abrasion was on the road and for the most part on one knee with some being off the side of the road until I hit the barrier post and bounce back.

Craig20, Bonk's advice is right. Get stuff that fits well, including your helmet. Forget all this crap about "it'll stretch". It might but it never has for me. You want to be comfortable straight up. I've never yet had leather shoes that have stretched like shoe salespeople claim. I can't say I've noticed much, if any, stretching of my leather jacket in the 3,900 km I did in it. It has always been a snug fit. Take the liner out of the jacket too and make sure it is still a good fit.

I wanted to get what I thought was good gear and spent about $2,500 all up for a Dainese leather jacket, Dainese Wave 2 back protector, Alpinestars SMX-4 boots, Alpinestars GP Tech gloves, Hornee jeans, Shoei TZ-R lid (probably should have paid the extra $85 and got an XR1000), plastic RJays wet weather overpants and a waterproof jacket from Rebel Sport. I always had the niggling feeling that I'd left my legs a little exposed and probably should have put in the extra $400 for leather pants. That was when I decided to get knee/shin armour ($70 for the pair) as an interim measure.

Not everybody wants to (or can) spend $2.5k on one set of riding gear but get the best you can for the money you're going to spend. The gear I got first time around in 2006 cost me $1,500 all up. It was an Arai Condor lid, RJays Evo textile jacket, Draggin Traffic jeans, Gaerne boots (were $270) and a Dainese BAP back protector. I stopped riding and sold all the gear back then.

17. Also with helmets think how clumsy am i and how often will i have to replace it, cause i am the most casual dope on earth with mine and am constantly minorly dropping scuffing and damaging it

18. Bonk - You obviously have "bonked" your head a couple of times!!! Your advice on helmets???? You are the man!!!
    Do yourself a favour and do some research before you make statements about that - which you have no clue about...
    Helmets are made differently and a polycarbonate helmets react differently to composition helmets in an accident. I would never wear a polycarbonate helmet or a cheap helmet..
    Thinner gloves - Great when they explode when you hit the ground!!
    Boots - comfy? they are for riding not hiking..They are designed for bike angles and protection...
    MMMMM nice loose clothing - fool, that is the main reason clothing shreds like paper!! I'm sure when kevlar t-shirts are released - you'll line up!
    I love watching MotoGP riders wearing cheap helmets and gear..

I have taken clients for rehab for the last ten years, done numerous track days and probably seen more aspects of the motorcycle world than you could ever imagine.. It is people like you (half baked experts) that result in younger/newer riders hurting themselves...

Anyone requiring advice on gear should walk into a reputable store and ask questions and get fitted up correctly. No=one should take advice from obvious halfwits who consider themselves experts and have no idea about reality..

Bonk- you are either slightly retarded or work for Peter Stevens!!!

19. Nice first post :roll:

20. Yeh I dunno man. well at the time i was wearing my draggins i thought i sad that but yeah they were fine, a little scuffed (so maybe 95%) but no holes or anything. one thing i should mention i do where my hornees often and before i had hornee i did the same with draggins but i think the hornees dont "wear" as well, im not the most elegant guy, but who is, but they have developed a couple of holes in the material on the knees and i haven't had a drop in them. but i did notice for life span the draggins seem to go further altough they do fade much faster the material between the 2 is different in construction i think they're both outer cotton but the Hornee is build is different and i guess not as long lasting but i much prefer the cut they use so i wont go back to draggin for a while, altough i wish they would make there camo solid and not "stone washed" thats just lame.