Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

protecting signature on fairings?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by JimmyD, Jan 29, 2014.

1. guys, managed to get the tail fairing of my rc8r signed on monday by Jeremy McWilliams. aka. gp racer and test rider for ktm on the rc8r and 1290 superduke r.

wondering how best to protect it? do i go some sort of clear coat over the top or a clear film?
    i'm leaning towards a clear coat but i want to take it to somewhere that will do an absolutely perfect job.

or maybe just take it off and buy another tail fairing section..
  2. Get a decent paint shop to clear coat it a few times. If u have a decent stack it will prob be cactus so if it means alot to you then take it off and hang it on your wall
  3. The problem with a clear spray coat is getting someone to do the job and not ruin the signature.

The solvents in most clears will do a nasty job on the marker used for the autograph.

An airbrush artist might be able to tackle it, as they are some who have a lot of experience with such things.

Film - companies like 3M do some really top stuff, and a window tinter for example, would be a good place to start if you aren't confident in applying it yourself. That being said, I've done a pretty brilliant job on some small sections on various projects and I am by no means talented with the product... Preparation and the right tools are the key.

I'd be pricing up a new panel just to weigh up the options tho.
  4. New fairing (ouch!)
  5. did price a new fairing piece, $380. might have to just do that.

6. that was you highsiding in t12?
  7. Nope, not me.